Why is my Windows 10 update giving an error on boot?

A54D

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
PLEASE HELP! Windows 10 update giving error on boot

I know Windows 10 isn't supposed to be used as a primary PC, which is why I didn't. I dual booted it alongside Windows 7. Everything was working fine. I managed to sort all the niggles I had with it at the start and just used it occasionally as a testing platform.

Today however I received an update which looked as though it all worked well but having been away from my PC for a while the computer went to sleep. I woke it up eager to restart and go back to Windows 7 to do work, but the blue screen of death showed and restarted the PC. I wasn't really bothered until it just stopped booting. I keep getting a (p)ci Port0 Device Error. (the "p" is in brackets because I'm not sure it's a "p". It's cut off the screen but I'm assuming it is actually a "p").

Usually I wouldn't mind but I don't even get the option to start Windows 7. So I can't access my documents.

I've changed the boot order to CD first and then HDD and inserted an Ubuntu CD with hope that the live CD would run and I could retrieve my documents like that but to no avail.

Please somebody help. I don't care about the computer but need my documents urgently.

A54D

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: PLEASE HELP! Windows 10 update giving error on boot

I managed to access my documents. Just in case anyone else runs into a similar problem, here's what I did:

I managed to run the Linux Ubuntu Live CD, This was done via the boot menu. I simply placed the CD drive before HDD. I still received the error when booting but pressed 'F1' in order to continue.

Waited a while and the Ubuntu screen started loading. Waited a further 5 minutes (approximately) and the Live CD fully loaded.

I chose to NOT install Ubuntu and ran off the DVD.

Now that I was in Linux I had to open terminal, you can just search for it.

(This first command may be irrelevant but seen as it worked for me I might as well include it).

sudo /bin/bash This allowed me to become the root user.

I then typed in mkdir /media/disk

Followed by, Sudo mount -o ro -t auto /dev/sda5 /media/disk This allowed me to access my Windows drive ("sda5") in a read only way. I could view and copy my documents to an external hard drive but I couldn't modify them from Ubuntu.

MAKE SURE TO CHANGE "SDA5" TO YOUR DRIVE!!

Unfortunately I couldn't enable read and write privileges but I could still back up all important files so it's all good. Hope that helps anyone who runs into a similar problem.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: PLEASE HELP! Windows 10 update giving error on boot

I managed to access my documents. Just in case anyone else runs into a similar problem, here's what I did:

I managed to run the Linux Ubuntu Live CD, This was done via the boot menu. I simply placed the CD drive before HDD. I still received the error when booting but pressed 'F1' in order to continue.

Waited a while and the Ubuntu screen started loading. Waited a further 5 minutes (approximately) and the Live CD fully loaded.

I chose to NOT install Ubuntu and ran off the DVD.

Now that I was in Linux I had to open terminal, you can just search for it.

(This first command may be irrelevant but seen as it worked for me I might as well include it).

sudo /bin/bash This allowed me to become the root user.

I then typed in mkdir /media/disk

Followed by, Sudo mount -o ro -t auto /dev/sda5 /media/disk This allowed me to access my Windows drive ("sda5") in a read only way. I could view and copy my documents to an external hard drive but I couldn't modify them from Ubuntu.

MAKE SURE TO CHANGE "SDA5" TO YOUR DRIVE!!

Unfortunately I couldn't enable read and write privileges but I could still back up all important files so it's all good. Hope that helps anyone who runs into a similar problem.

Works great with my Ubuntu cd. If I HAD one! 😃😃😃😃

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077