(Optimistic Surface Phone Theory) Could it be possible that Lumia is for low/mid range and Surface i

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Do you think the absence of any Microsoft Lumia flagships being announced is a sign that the upcoming flagships might bare the "Surface" name?

This positions the colorful Lumia phones to compete with the iPhone 5c (or potential 6c) and other low-mid range Androids to serve as a stepping stone to both the SP3 tablet and Surface smartphone. Premium flagship(s) would have solid black/silver VaporMG and better position itself against the premium iPhone 6/6+.
A solid metal phone just feels more premium than plastics, and the Surface name has been given alot of acclaim and credibility in the tech journalism community and enterprise as well as seen as a credible alternative to Apple products. So it seems like a higher priced Microsoft phone might sell better with the Surface nameplate, especially if their chief enterprise rival is Apple.
Maybe wishful thinking but dang imagine a VaporMG Surface phone, a Surface Pro 3 and Xbox One in your home and being able send/receive Wifi texts/calls from any of the 3 like Apple does with the iPhone/Pod/Pad and Macbook. Finally uniting more established Microsoft hardware with the phones could help WP's sluggish sales in the US..

gizzzmo

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
If a Surface phone represented the same design and build quality then I'd buy it without any hesitation. I'd choose it over Microsoft Lumia anytime.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
If a Surface phone represented the same design and build quality then I'd buy it without any hesitation. I'd choose it over Microsoft Lumia anytime.
Same here, at least for the mainstream consumer who isn't savvy on specs the build material makes all the difference. A iPhone 6+ feels and looks superior to a 1520 even though it isn't per se. Perception is everything and right now Surface and their solid Magnesium bodies reinforce Microsoft's ability to compete with premium built Apple products. I just don't think plastic is the way to go for flagships. IMO

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I had the same thought the other day, and it could happen I suppose. It would also give a perception of 2 different lines.
Heck I'd pre-order and buy one up front without any carrier subsidy if they made a silver VaporMG Surface phone with a 5-6" 1080p+ screen with a Snapdragon 805 and 3-4 GB of RAM. Sigh... doesn't hurt to daydream I guess.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Okay I always hear "Microsoft make a Surface Phone" what would that be exactly? And what would be the difference between a WP.
It would be like Apple with the 5c and 5S and now 6/6+. The plastic Lumias would be more affordable Hardware and the Surface would be more premium. Same OS but with a hardware hierarchy.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Interesting theory, but MS marketing can't be that genius.

I'd much rather have a Surface branded phone than the horrible Lumia that people butcher into the Chevy Lumina. Hearing Lumia/Lumina will always resonate with low class and shoddy quality just like the car. Lumia is just a weak name. They should've ditched it completely for Surface brand.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Interesting theory, but MS marketing can't be that genius.

I'd much rather have a Surface branded phone than the horrible Lumia that people butcher into the Chevy Lumina. Hearing Lumia/Lumina will always resonate with low class and shoddy quality just like the car. Lumia is just a weak name. They should've ditched it completely for Surface brand.
Ya well the two main clues (or hopes) im hanging on to is complete lack of new "Lumia" flagships and the scrapping of the the Surface mini tablet. I don't think they could completely scrap the Lumia name because I think they need it for the low-mid range, because they want to position Surface as Microsoft's premium mobile hardware, they wouldn't want low end plastic phones with the Surface name for the same reason GM doesn't put the Cadillac name on Chevy Sparks. The Surface brand has much more rapport already in enterprise and is already positioned as a credible high end competitor to the MacBook and iPad so solid VaporMg Surface phone would make sense to go up against the iPhone 6/6+.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If they don't create a surface phone they are not smart at all. Which , with there track record is probably true..... I mean they should have had one out for this holiday season already.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
If they don't create a surface phone they are not smart at all. Which , with there track record is probably true..... I mean they should have had one out for this holiday season already.
Exactly! The Surface Pro 3 has created so much buzz for the name, Microsoft would've been wise to make a flagship Surface phone that could ride the momentum and hopefully spurn some adoption of the platform by current Surface owners who use iOS and Android smartphones.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
A 5-6 inch Windows Phone with Surface Pen support could be fun. Don't foresee it happening though.
Well if we don't see any Lumia flagships released during this holiday season then the moment of truth will be when Windows 10 is ready to roll out to the public. If Microsoft theoretically were to introduce a Surface phone, it would make most sense to make sure it rolls out with Windows 10 already pre-installed. Would be an amazing product to introduce Windows 10 with, it would show the public, that the same OS that can run on their desktop can also fit into their pocket.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
A Surface branded phone or any high end phone with a built in stylus that works on the SP3 and phone would be too good to be true. Just the sense to brand their phones Surface instead of Lumia shows their marketing failure in itself. It's proven time and time again that no one cares about Lumia. I've never heard anyone reference WP as a Lumia. I'd never call my phone a Lumia. People know them as WP or 920 or 1520. Lumia could be omitted forever and no one would care. It just doesn't resonate with the world, not just from my perspective, but everyone I know too. Even in talking to staff at stores and carriers, they omit Lumia in reference. It's just terrible.

Microsoft just doesn't have the talent or marketing capability to make something that awesome, not even in name.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb