Windows Phone 10 UI

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Keep the UI as it is.

Most important to me is that it is missing USB OTG and digital audio output.

I'm still hoping that with Windows 10 and the rumored convergence of RT/Phone that these features will be available. We should have this same functionality available on all platforms. If I have an external DAC that I run off my Surface tablet's USB, why shouldn't I be able to do the same thing through my WPhone's USB?

Not meaning to go OT, just saying that I'm happy with the UI, and see some features enhancement more important changes.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^probably due to drivers. your surface is the pro model right? ARM versions of Windows don't allow custom drivers that's why discrete hardwares such as an external DAC can't work.

wpcontinue

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
If by changes, you mean catching up with competitors yes..
we got life folders - WOW..
we got a actioncenter - WOOOOW..
we got a data toggle - dude, you're kidding me right?

I dont think the UI should be different. I mean it should change the way ios7 and LP did. Add more soft colors like in Android, add this MixView sh*t, add more and fluid animation, change the icons, add more function to these useless Live Tiles (yes they are useless). So much stuff can be done yet staying with the roots of Metro and typografy.

And to those that continue to blow the trumpet all the way around, saying that ios and LP copied Windows Phone with the flatterend design, well at least they managed to made it look beautiful and warm. This metro thing looks ok on paper, on underground signs and so on, but on digital this isnt the case. Apple and Google realized that, and made it right. FLAT != METRO, know your facts. Apple and Google are flat, meaning no skeumorphism and gradients, while using warm colors and informative iconst. Microsoft is Metro, which is infographic oriented design and fonts. The last gets boring quickly, because it is no fun, meaning consumers get bored. Static grid of icons is still functional and fun when it is made right. Microsoft should differentiate with Tiles, but make them more FUN and user friendly, by adding tons of feautures (some of them i just mentioned). iOS and Android are successful, not only because of the apps and the ecosystem, but because Apple knows it needs to bring the sex-factor in their products. Google is starting to realize this too. Only Microsoft is wood. People love what they see at first glance, then come the functional features. Yes, you want the job done with your device, but that is not what attracts consumers. They want animations, tweaks and awesome UI. WP UI is functional and business, and thats why its a niche and noone buys it (and thats why noone wants to write apps for it), while iOS and Lollipop (recently) are sexy and successful.

Conclusion: Stay with tiles and typography, but overhaul the whole UI from the scratch with the cool factor.

I am WP user.

Last edited:

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

I dont think the UI should be different. I mean it should change the way ios7 and LP did. Add more soft colors like in Android, add this MixView sh*t, add more and fluid animation, change the icons, add more function to these useless Live Tiles (yes they are useless). So much stuff can be done yet staying with the roots of Metro and typografy.

And to those that continue to blow the trumpet all the way around, saying that ios and LP copied Windows Phone with the flatterend design, well at least they managed to made it look beautiful and warm. This metro thing looks ok on paper, on underground signs and so on, but on digital this isnt the case. Apple and Google realized that, and made it right.

Design is a very subjective thing. You may not like it. Certainly doesn't mean Microsoft did not "made it right".

Live tiles useless? Well I guess it could be a little more functional but its certainly not useless.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Let's be honest. Win10 for phones will have absolutely the same UI like wp8 and Microsoft won' t change a thing. iOS7 big change, Android Lollipop - big change. Microsofts Windows Phone - absolutely the same since wp7 (except the blank space on the start screen with the arrow) for 5 years..

Have you use/see Windows Mobile before? no? that's fine, because once you see it you will know why.
iO**** are just big change after WE HAVE CHANGE, Android too. They copied Windows Phone's UI, why change when people steal your idea? this will let them steal your idea again and again. Unless Windows Phone is very popular, and changing UI is the time. When other phone OS copy again, everyone will notice it

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I for one dont think that Ios or Android made such big changes.
Yea it looks differend but basicly its stil the same ( Ios in particular ).

More animations???? hm wow.....
for what reason, it only uses more resources and perhapes lagg.
Actioncenter and the toggle doesnt mean much...?
it means that MS is listening to its users, when was the last time Google or Apple did that?
You just showed some pics of Droid and IOS but only just one of Windows Mobile?
Hm, I believe we had a bunch more before it becames Windows Phone.

Windows PocketPC 2000
Windows Mobile 2002 (PocketPC / Smartphone Edition)
Windows Mobile 2003 SE (Smartphone Edition)
Windows Mobile 2003 (PocketPC)
Windows Mobile 5 (PocketPC / Smartphone Edition)
Windows Mobile 6 (Classic, Professional / Standard Edition)
Windows Mobile 6.1 (Smartphone Edition)
Windows Mobile 6.5 (Standard / Professional)

I am getting the funny feeling you just want to make it more look Android.
Well per happes you are right,
just buy a Droid with the same specs as the lowest low budget Windowsphone and with the same budget.
Then we talk again about why MS build WP as it is.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
So...

You think all Windows Phone apps are ugly.

You really want Google services, which is fine.

You think Windows Phone is boring, and you have no faith that Microsoft will ever shake it up.

I'm going to ask you the question I ask in all of your threads that you've never been able to answer. Why don't you just buy an iPhone? You clearly think its a superior platform or more suitable for your needs. You're just trolling us at this point.

wpcontinue

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
So...

You think all Windows Phone apps are ugly.

You really want Google services, which is fine.

You think Windows Phone is boring, and you have no faith that Microsoft will ever shake it up.

I'm going to ask you the question I ask in all of your threads that you've never been able to answer. Why don't you just buy an iPhone? You clearly think its a superior platform or more suitable for your needs. You're just trolling us at this point.

Since you obviously follow me in every thread, ill make it simple for you. I am stuck in the ms ecosystem with almost all of their products. I won't buy an iPhone nor Android. Further explanations about this one will be just considered an off-topic.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I kind of wish they would go back to the hub idea... it was so nice being able to see all my social media listings in the people hub and to be able to respond from there and post to any of them from the me tile or getting facebook messages in the message hub... I didn't even have to install official versions of the app at that point unless I wanted the advanced features the apps provided. If only more apps supported the hub design of WP instead of just porting the app as is from iOS or Android.

About the only thing that would be a nice to have addition is interactive notifications similar to what OSX does.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site

And to those that continue to blow the trumpet all the way around, saying that ios and LP copied Windows Phone with the flatterend design, well at least they managed to made it look beautiful and warm. This metro thing looks ok on paper, on underground signs and so on, but on digital this isnt the case. Apple and Google realized that, and made it right. FLAT != METRO, know your facts. Apple and Google are flat, meaning no skeumorphism and gradients, while using warm colors and informative iconst. Microsoft is Metro, which is infographic oriented design and fonts. The last gets boring quickly, because it is no fun, meaning consumers get bored. Static grid of icons is still functional and fun when it is made right. Microsoft should differentiate with Tiles, but make them more FUN and user friendly, by adding tons of feautures (some of them i just mentioned). iOS and Android are successful, not only because of the apps and the ecosystem, but because Apple knows it needs to bring the sex-factor in their products. Google is starting to realize this too. Only Microsoft is wood. People love what they see at first glance, then come the functional features. Yes, you want the job done with your device, but that is not what attracts consumers. They want animations, tweaks and awesome UI. WP UI is functional and business, and thats why its a niche and noone buys it (and thats why noone wants to write apps for it), while iOS and Lollipop (recently) are sexy and successful.

Conclusion: Stay with tiles and typography, but overhaul the whole UI from the scratch with the cool factor.

I am WP user.

Biggest joke of the millenium!! Thanks, I laughed so hard!

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Ow you mean full colors and animation just for the looks for it. Hm a real kiddy's first phone experience, no thank you.
I choose for something simple, basic and above all reliable.
If i want to start a application i want to start it and dont want to see a source eating animation.
Its a phone, a smartphone witch should be trustworthy and stable just like any other tool.
If i want something with glitter and shine i would buy a v-tech toy.

And besides that just dont forget how trustworthy Android (Google) handles your personal data.
And please remember how save Android's security is, its common knowledge that they have a state of the art watertight safety procedures.....off course any kid can bypass it but thats not the issue.

Yep than good old Apple.
Solid as a brick and secure, i have to give them that.
But please, how many leaks does ios have and had and Apple ignored them for years until they went accidentally public.
Thats why any kid can do jailbreak.

How many wp phones where rooted or jailbroken ( interop unlocked )?
Just a few, like the Samsung Ative and a handful of Lumia's, but for that you need specific knowledge and tools to be able to do that.

But if you are more in to the blingbling, be my guest.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, I really like Metro design as in typography. But it is true that lack of colours make it bland after a while. Microsoft need to understand that to be a consumer oriented company, you have to provide wider options to appeal to wider group of people. And to get entertainment features(apps, games, movies, books, apps, maps, social integration) right. Win32 was really great at that. WinRT is not. It is not even about eating resources since both Android/iOS have proven it. It is about giving user the power to choose. Or well, they can stick to their guns and hope that people will have a change of heart overnight.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
It is not even about eating resources since both Android/iOS have proven it.

Android has proof that......
Your kidding right.
Thats just the main problem with Android.
Resources means power consumption.

My heavily underrated 1320 runs two days full usage, three days with normal use.
My older 520 lasted even longer when i didn't grazy stuff with it.
That's a tiny bit longer than most androids, who cant even last a workingday without plug.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Android has proof that......
Your kidding right.
Thats just the main problem with Android.
Resources means power consumption.

My heavily underrated 1320 runs two days full usage, three days with normal use.
My older 520 lasted even longer when i didn't grazy stuff with it.
That's a tiny bit longer than most androids, who cant even last a workingday without plug.

I'm no technical person but I think it is because of the way android handles background tasks and allot memory/cpu to apps. Windows phone is more efficient because of that.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Let's be honest. Win10 for phones will have absolutely the same UI like wp8 and Microsoft won' t change a thing. iOS7 big change, Android Lollipop - big change. Microsofts Windows Phone - absolutely the same since wp7 (except the blank space on the start screen with the arrow) for 5 years..

Let's be honest. You have no idea what the UI for Windows 10 Phones will look like. How about you sit back, relax and wait until that is reveled. Then, and only then can you make a fair comparison versus iOS and Android.

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The biggest change to the W10 for Phone UI would probably be the Mixview with exploding tiles. It adds COOL factor to the start screen tiles which have often been criticized for being boring. In fact, WP should give users the option to use colorful app icons as on iPhone or Android screen instead of the boring squares. With Mixview, when your finger hovers on top of each icon/tile will cause the exploding Live Tiles to pop up. So its screen can be customized just as iPhone or Android but still has the Live Tiles functions. It can make WP UI far more interesting than either iPhone or Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99