Windows Phone 10 UI

wpcontinue

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
The biggest change to the W10 for Phone UI would probably be the Mixview with exploding tiles. It adds COOL factor to the start screen tiles which have often been criticized for being boring. In fact, WP should give users the option to use colorful app icons as on iPhone or Android screen instead of the boring squares. With Mixview, when your finger hovers on top of each icon/tile will cause the exploding Live Tiles to pop up. So its screen can be customized just as iPhone or Android but still has the Live Tiles functions. It can make WP UI far more interesting than either iPhone or Android.

this.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Please add the ability to toggle the action center on or off and the ability to have the old top bar with the service status icons. Where when you swiped down it would bring the icons down then fade away so that only the time showed.

anon(5789608)

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
i have a dream

kYK8B5S.jpg

x65KRcn.jpg

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Wooow dude, that is so cool look.
But I don't expect that Microsoft will enable transparent tiles.
They are going really slow with customization.

FeedTheShark

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Well to my mind they should just move the notifications so it comes in when you pull in from the left. To me that's a more sensible gesture for WP than pulling from the top & a better UX decision because it can be done one handed. Also it'd be nice to be different to iOS and Android.

I love that iOS photo showing how it's hardly changed. Totally shows that the OP is wrong that other OS's have changed. Thing is, Apple users on the whole like familiarity, so it's hard for Apple to really do much to change their UI.

Android has changed more, only because it desperately needed to. There was no consistency before Modern and the few bits that had Holo just looked too plain and inhumane.

WP never needed a refresh, it was thought out to last, and built from the ground up. They've finessed it over the years, adding some really nice features while keeping the consistency. (Though as I said above I think the Notifications should pull in from the left). I expect we'll get a lot of new things with Windows 10. Horizontal & Vertical views for the home screen, flyout folders & tiles, ability to name & group apps (like W8). But I think more is going from WP to big Windows than the other way around, and just that one system everywhere is the bigger benefit than any eye candy.

Taube2

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
what we know so far about Windows 10 clearly indicates that Windows 10 on phones/tablets will look different than WP8.1 The recently leaked build of Windows 10 technical preview already clearly shows that Metro design is changing significantly.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I just don't understand why its needed though. Why can't you just have a live tile that gives you these notifications? The only thing I would want is a swipe from left to access settings and toggles, but even then I still preferred the tile button (I had a row of them at the top of the screen using connectivity tiles) tap, turn on and off or adjust settings. I didn't care it took two taps to on off something, the only one I would like to have a single tap is airplane mode since its really on or off and no settings there.

Either way I understand why they did some of the stuff, give a more familiar UX to new users but at the same time its hurting the flow of the whole UI in my opinion at least.

A swipe from the left is a good idea, but I still prefer the idea of PINNING items you frequently access to the start screen. Hence why I would prefer it if they just gave the option to turn these things on or off to maintain the WP8.0 tile centric UI. The one thing I do agree with is adding the 3 medium tile option, that allows you to utilize the screen more. The folders also help, but in my use I rarely use the and in most cases just scrap the folder completely and just pin the apps.

Maybe its just me, but I preferred the idea of unlocking the phone and looking at the start screen (swiping up as necessary) and seeing everything I need and going into the app only if I needed to take action on something.

Hubs I do miss in certain cases, I think music/video should be joined together again as a single app. Photo hub I liked as well, I did not mind tapping the camera roll, now I freak out if I have some questionable photos because it just opens up that album by default...

I don't use FB or Twitter but I understand why the integration was scrapped, as a change in API on the services end would result in a dead experience until a full OS update is released, one word to that. Verizon.

I wish there was a way to maintain that hub integration but without making the People Hub an APP there is just no possibility in my mind. The only thing I can think MS could do in this case is that the apps THEY devlop have a flag set that they run in sys space or always loaded into mem or something, to give the same speed as when they were part of the core OS.

I dunno, so much of what was awesome as far as UX is being lost, like the vision is just being messed with by to many cooks. Some of the new features are greatly appreciated, setting app tones, vibrations, etc is great and wordflow is helpful. So is cortana (for the love of FSM add the vision button). I am starting to form a love hate relationship and I don't like it, cause I felt it before.....

FINAL THOUGHT: I don't know why MS devs add a feature people are screaming about without giving the option to TOGGLE it on or off, have it on by default during the update but give me the option to turn it on or off.

Its like giving 5 people what they want cause they won't shut up, and throwing away everything for those that were perfectly happy with what they had... CHOICE ffs, add a feature and give the ability to turn it on or off. Its not much to ask for...

I understand in some cases that is not possible (hubs) but for settings and general UX/UI it should be possible.... Unless the argument is to keep it simple and too much choice can be overwhelming as well....

Laion

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPad with iOS 8.1.2. The U.I. is exactly the same as in my first generation iPod touch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yaron zeevik

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
That's one ugly dream right there. Are there realy people that like this kind of things?Why are there black borders arround text and icons (I think those are supposed to be shadows?) and how does the background with transparent tiles look good?
You can't criticize others opinions about design..you can say reasonable arguments why it's bad but "ugly" is just immature..

I actually liked it

Sarmad Khalil

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone too has copied a ton of things... Action center is one such example... Instead of drop down...they could have opted the basic concept of swiping left right in wp and had the action center coming in from left rather than up... That would have wp made it a lot unique and more wp rather than functioning like competing oses...

Sent UAMessage

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
true windows 10 maybe needs to make the second menu format a lot better, the front faced metro system is awesome but the normal text for the second layer is outdated and really needs vamping for easier navigation

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
There are nice updates on Windows 10 phone UI as you can see in the pictures you can find on the web :) most likely we are finally getting a true wallpaper, transparent livetiles and sections on the start screen like lets say "Social, Photography, Work, etc.. So it's all clean.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone too has copied a ton of things... Action center is one such example... Instead of drop down...they could have opted the basic concept of swiping left right in wp and had the action center coming in from left rather than up... That would have wp made it a lot unique and more wp rather than functioning like competing oses...

This would limit the ways you could open the action center... For eg:- if you are in app list and ant to go to homescreen then those stopping would confuse the OS what exactly you want.....

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I mean, yeah, Windows Phone didn't have some major design overhaul but it's not fair to say iOS and Android had HUGE differences from the past. All iOS did at first was add background images then flat and clean icons on 7 and 8. Stock Android isn't even that much of a difference except for the flat icons. The flat UI that Windows started with. While Windows Phone didn't have a major design change, it changed the way iOS and Android look at their design. Now we have FLAT and CLEAN everywhere.

Also, Windows Phone only had two major releases to date. Windows Phone 7 and 8 and the reason behind the same feel is that flat is still the big thing in design. Like some experts say, Windows started a design revolution.

Also, it's not right to say Win10 will have the same design as we haven't had a single design leak for Windows 10 for Phones. All you said is basically irrelevant.

Haha! YES! Show him those receipts. :D
I swear, just because Google and Apple advertise them as 'HUGE MAJOR FLAT MINIMAL DESIGN UX OVERHAULS OMG!!1!' doesn't mean they actually are all that groundbreaking.

Keep doing the Lord's work, my good man. ;)

Sarmad Khalil

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
This would limit the ways you could open the action center... For eg:- if you are in app list and ant to go to homescreen then those stopping would confuse the OS what exactly you want.....
Idk... It could be done by swiping from the edge of the bezel to bring the action center and swiping through the os could be done by going a little bit towards the center rather than the edge...just like how the drop down action center works....

ToughD

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I actually like the UI the way it is. If I get bored I just reposition and resize my Live Tiles and change my start screen background. Personally I don't like Android or iPhone's UI. Most tasks take extra steps that Windows Phone doesn't require and Live Tiles on Windows Phone is much better than anything the competition has anyway.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I mean, yeah, Windows Phone didn't have some major design overhaul but it's not fair to say iOS and Android had HUGE differences.

Beat me to it. Your images clearly show the HUGE improvements in the UIs of both iOS and Android. So huge and deliightful I just HAVE to drop WP and move to one of those other systems.

Whatever WP10 looks like, I'm sure it will be evolutionary, not revolutionary. What's most important is that the OS is stable, secure, and delivers what MSFT is promising - a write one, run anywhere ecosystem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs