Question regarding RT and Windows Phone devices

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Will the UI of Windows Phone and RT devices essentially be the same, or will RT keep the same "desktop-like" UI like full on Windows 10? Also, will RT devices get Continuum? I assume the only way they would or could is if it keeps the desktop UI. Still a bit confused on what will happen on that part of the Windows 10 spectrum. Not sure if anything official has been discussed or if anyone has opinions, but interested in hearing from everyone!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It has been widely understood that when RT + Windows Phone merge, the Windows Phone UX will take precedence therefore desktop would be eliminated.

However how this combined O/S will work on RT devices like the Lumia 2520 and the Surface RT devices when the keyboard is attached is still open to speculation as there haven't been any landscape qwerty keyboard phones running Windows Phone 8.x.

Which is a shame really...

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It has been widely understood that when RT + Windows Phone merge, the Windows Phone UX will take precedence therefore desktop would be eliminated.

However how this combined O/S will work on RT devices like the Lumia 2520 and the Surface RT devices when the keyboard is attached is still open to speculation as there haven't been any landscape qwerty keyboard phones running Windows Phone 8.x.

Which is a shame really...

That's the main confusion I have. Not sure how it'll work out for devices like those two. I'm also not exactly sure what the heck will happen with all those 8" tablets running full Windows which makes no real sense. Microsoft has a lot of figuring out to do!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they do however there is just over a month left until the Jan 21st event so all questions should be answered then (hopefully!). So for now just enjoy the holidays and if snagged a few deals over cyber monday or blackfriday - enjoy them or wait until christmas if they were bought as presents :winktongue:.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

I am not so much interested in whatever they combine will work on current RT devices. I am more interested in the question if there will be a full Windows version for ARM devices similar to what Windows RT is right now?
The Windows (RT) desktop along with the Win32 subsystem is the single most important feature, which sets a Surface apart from lets say iPad. I currently do not see any incentive to downgrade to something more restricted.