What is causing IE to chow down on RAM?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Everything is updated, and I only have 3 tabs open. It is sucking up almost 600mb in RAM. The three tabs in question are as follows: MacRumors, Windows Central, and a Yuku forum. I also have no addons other than flash, which is built in. Maybe it is because I just recently took the plunge, again anyway, and have been using 8.1 on my SP 3, but this is just off. Also, it makes my fans kick on.

​I could probably lower RAM use with the TPL, but then I'd be taking revenue from those sites. And I don't do that.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Everything is updated, and I only have 3 tabs open. It is sucking up almost 600mb in RAM. The three tabs in question are as follows: MacRumors, Windows Central, and a Yuku forum. I also have no addons other than flash, which is built in. Maybe it is because I just recently took the plunge, again anyway, and have been using 8.1 on my SP 3, but this is just off. Also, it makes my fans kick on.

​I could probably lower RAM use with the TPL, but then I'd be taking revenue from those sites. And I don't do that.

Most modern websites are coded badly, that is why...

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
everything is updated, and i only have 3 tabs open. It is sucking up almost 600mb in ram. The three tabs in question are as follows: Macrumors, windows central, and a yuku forum. I also have no addons other than flash, which is built in. Maybe it is because i just recently took the plunge, again anyway, and have been using 8.1 on my sp 3, but this is just off. Also, it makes my fans kick on.

​i could probably lower ram use with the tpl, but then i'd be taking revenue from those sites. And i don't do that.

modern webpages and browsers are notorious for eating ram.

flash. Try closing the wincentral tab or any tab with an image heavy site.

hello!
retarded.png

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Windows Central is a memory hog, and that's part of the reason.

Add to that the fact that a lot of modern websites simply don't optimize for IE and you have a problem.

Then again, IE takes up 700MB in RAM on my T100 - with seven tabs open, including Windows Central and multiple image-heavy 8chan pages

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Probably the ads. I noticed it started happening when I whitelisted the site. I'm honestly thinking about changing it again if this keeps up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs