Hamburger menu!!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I hate android for this nightmare menus and buttons, for this design chaos that now came to WP. MS, this is don't attract developers! All that they interested in is active users and profitable of OS. But this scare away a lot of users, that prefer windows phone for its comfortableness and uniqueness. If OS look and feel the same as android, people would buy android, that already have a lot of apps and devices! MS, don't be stupid.

Such a simple thing, why doesn't MS and everybody who supprt them understand this?

I have a 920 and I was waiting for Windows 10 and new flagship as I didn't like 930. But now, if they kept this Android like UI, I'd have to think now whether to get Windows Phone or not. I liked WP for beatiful interface, clean, minimal, different, effective, eye catching. If they are making it look like Android. And being flat is the only thing that is retaining from the Metro, I'd really consider Lollipop. At least I will have better quality apps like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and I will not need to care for the UI, as the same is available on Windows 10. Also, with Android, I have choice in both apps and devices, various of them. The only thing that kept me with WP even with those half functioning apps was its UI.

Arhitecter

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
That's not the point. This is for universal apps.
It's easier to click on an hamburger menu on PC. Swipe it's a mobile thing only.
In desktop windows right now in W8 swipe replaced by scrolling the mouse wheel or moving the slider. It works good, understandable and look great in panoramic modern apps.

cool8man

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Allowing developers to put these menus in their apps doesn't explain why Microsoft is dumping Metro and using hamburger menu for all of their first party apps.

Certainly not an improvement for people with big phones or small hands. Bye bye to one handed operation. Apple's one handed mode solution of deleting half of your screen so you can reach the top is like a bad joke. Is that where MS is heading with Windows phones and tablets?

Makes me wonder what's next, nested-menus on smartphones? Can't wait to regress back to the Windows Mobile days. That sure was a super fun intuitive way to use a phone, maybe they can include a stylus pointing stick to help use our phones.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
soo your only reason for buying a phone is the looks... shallow then. maybe youd be better off with android then!

It is not the only reason, but it is a major one, at least for me. Metro UI was one of the main reasons I bought a Windows Phone. We all consider looks while buying everything, a bike, a car, a house. Heck, even when we fall in love, we consider looks at some extent. And you tell me then, what else has Windows Phone to offer to me better than Android other than looks? Please tell me?

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Windows Phone 7 was a very well though OS. Every minor detail of the OS was well thought and polished. It just lacked features which were then added in Windows Phone 8. But that was not enough, and so did they add more features in 8.1, but took away some of really well thought features. For ex. In Music Hub, in WP8, when you would 'add a song to now playing', it would play right after the song that is currently played. This was a neat small feature, ripped away in WP8.1. In the Photos Hub when you would zoom out of an already zoomed out photo, you would get a strip of photos which you could use to scroll fast to go to another photo instead of pressing back button and finding that photo from the tiny thumbnails. This was also a beautiful, neat feature. This was the easy to use WP UI. This also was also one of the aspect of Metro besides looks. This user friendy ness is ripped away further in Windows 10. For ex. new Photos app. If you want to go to albums in Windows 10, you have to tap the 'hamburger' the, tap 'albums'. In WP 7/8/8.1 you can just swipe sideways to go to albums. Tell me which is simple, more funtional, more user friendly and more good looking?

Last edited:

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Certainly not an improvement for people with big phones or small hands. Bye bye to one handed operation.

Who are you trying to kid? I have a lumia 930 on windows phone 8.1 and it CANNOT be operated in one hand. Little hamburger menus aren't the reason for that, the screen size is. What do you do when you want to select the top setting in the phone? or the top most tile? This "i hate hamburgers because I cant use one hand anymore" argument is a load of BS.

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
For ex. new Photos app. If you want to go to albums in Windows 10, you have to tap the 'hamburger' the, tap 'albums'. In WP 7/8/8.1 you can just swipe sideways to go to albums. Tell me which is simple, more funtional, more user friendly and more good looking?

I haven't tried, and neither have you tried, the photo app on Windows 10 for phone. So functional and user friendly, we have to wait. More good looking? Ill tell you straight up its the Windows 10 photos app from what I've seen.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I haven't tried, and neither have you tried, the photo app on Windows 10 for phone. So functional and user friendly, we have to wait. More good looking? Ill tell you straight up its the Windows 10 photos app from what I've seen.

No, the app we had back in WP8.0 was the most good looking!

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I always wonder why people are so shocked about this. Anyone who is paying attention knew thus was coming since 8.1.Everybody with 8.1 pull up Cortana right now. Tell me where the dots are and then the hamburger menu.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
No. I disagree. See what we have here? Differing opinions. Microsoft cant please everyone all so you just have to grow up and deal with it.

New Gallery is not clearly Metro. It surely looks like Android. Why deviate from Metro? Pivots are better than hamburger asthetically.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I always wonder why people are so shocked about this. Anyone who is paying attention knew thus was coming since 8.1.Everybody with 8.1 pull up Cortana right now. Tell me where the dots are and then the hamburger menu.

Having hamburger in one app that too on the right side and implemented in a different way, and having hamburger in every app and implemented the Android way is the problem. You get it?? In Cortana, you have the search bar and mic button at the bottom hence the menu on the upper side. Like I don't hate hamburger, even if they put ellipsis on the upper left corner retaining the functionality of the hamburger I'd still hate it. I hate it for 2 reasons.

1. Control and menus in the app bar on the lower side of the screen are easy to use for single handed, for whatever handed use.
2. Since WP has existed, WP has done everythin differently to Android and iOS. It had it's own different UI. Now, it's all the same. It is not a good thing.

I don't get it why people buy WP and then wish it looked like Android. Why don't they get Android in the first place if you don't like pivots and big typography? It's like buying a Camaro, and saying it should look like Ferrari.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
​And in term of use and being able to be discovered by new users? Or is this all about pretty?

So you say, old gallery was difficult to get discovered by new users? How come?

And in terms of use, what is better, to swipe sideway to go to album in the current gallery (single step) or tap the hamburger then tap albums (2 stes)?

Please don't defend MS for whatever they do. I appreciate the new features in the Windwos 10 gallery but current gallery is more easy to use.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
New Gallery is not clearly Metro. It surely looks like Android. Why deviate from Metro? Pivots are better than hamburger asthetically.

Actually, Pivot Is not a good design because most people only use the first page. Depending on the length of the titles, the app can show generally 3 page titles at the top of each page, the other pages are hidden without any indication of their existence. Swiping in the last page rotates back to the first page, increasing the confusion. I guess these inconsistencies make the users to ignore the functionality altogether.
The Panorama is even worse, the user can scroll sometimes horizontally, other times vertically. It only hints the existence of the next page.

"Tabs" is a better design, all the tabs are visible in all pages, so the user is always aware of the possibilities and current location. It's possible to navigate between tabs swiping in any part of the screen, good for one-handed-use fans. Combined with an hamburger menu for the less frequently used options, It's a really good design. Microsoft is using this for the MSN apps in Android.

Metro has so many flaws, It's not a surprise that all the products based on Metro failed. Windows 8 was the culmination of the total nonsense. Thankfully is being improved/abandoned.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Actually, Pivot Is not a good design because most people only use the first page. Depending on the length of the titles, the app can show generally 3 page titles at the top of each page, the other pages are hidden without any indication of their existence. Swiping in the last page rotates back to the first page, increasing the confusion. I guess these inconsistencies make the users to ignore the functionality altogether.

The Panorama is even worse, the user can scroll sometimes horizontally, other times vertically. It only hints the existence of the next page.

Tabs in Android is a better design, all the tabs are visible in all pages, so the user is always aware of the possibilities and current location. It's possible to navigate between tabs swiping in any part of the screen, good for one-handed-use fans. Combined with an hamburger menu for the less frequently used options, It's a really good design. Microsoft is using this for the MSN apps in Android.

Metro has so many flaws, It's not a surprise that all the products based on Metro failed. Windows 8 was the culmination of the total nonsense. Thankfully is being improved/abandoned.

You maybe right, but once you use an app you know how many pages are there. It's not like they change everytime. I've never had any problem with my phone even when back in 8.0 where we had massive fonts and could see only 2 pages in pivot. That's because, when I first launched an app I learned how many pages are there. It's just the same way, that first you launch an app with hamburger menu, and tap the hamburger you learn what is inside.

Tabs with hamburger is the ugliest looking design. And no, tabs aren't the best for single handed use. Try tapping on a tab on 1520 with one hand and try swiping, which is easier?
Tabs and pivots aren't differentt. Pivots are evolved from tabs having a good balance in beauty and functionality

Sure Metro has flaws, so does hamburger. Windows 8 and everything with Metro failed because MS put too much emphasis on touch than keyboard and mouse/touchpad. WP failed beacuse of lack of features. Still we don't have built in WiFi direct, USB OTG. And there were many features missing, which got included just now ex. Data connection toggle. This was the reason of failure of WP, not the UI. I'd say WP survived just because of UI.

luisfarelo

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
OMG I have seen more pictures of the new W10 for phones interface and really, Microsoft ruined the metro interface for good. No design, no consistency, really a poor mans Android. I never thought I would say this, but Lollipop is much more consistent in design than this. I suspect we will also lose the fluidity of the operating system, with splash screens everywhere. They killed everything that was superior in WindowsPhone, while staying inferior to Android and ios in many ways. When my Ativ S dies I suspect I won't be returning to windows, Microsoft has really dropped the ball here. Am I the only one thinking this way?

Asik15

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Why dont we just give em a little more time to finish... before complaining ?? its a pure Beta Even a 1st Build...... cool down guys.... they are trying to do something different ....

" People Saw some mere screen shots of the Upcoming OS and they lost their Mind !!!!!! :/

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
OMG I have seen more pictures of the new W10 for phones interface and really, Microsoft ruined the metro interface for good. No design, no consistency, really a poor mans Android. I never thought I would say this, but Lollipop is much more consistent in design than this. I suspect we will also lose the fluidity of the operating system, with splash screens everywhere. They killed everything that was superior in WindowsPhone, while staying inferior to Android and ios in many ways. When my Ativ S dies I suspect I won't be returning to windows, Microsoft has really dropped the ball here. Am I the only one thinking this way?

That's the same way I feel. I feel Lollipop is more consistent than this. You seen the new phone app? With those blue tabs. And new icons, all are ugly. To me it looks like a cross between Kitkat and Lollipop, combined bad things of both. It doesn't sure look like Windows Phone.

The UI and fluidity of the OS were the reason I bough Windows Phone. Now, Android has the same fluidity and there are no splash screens in Android either. And now the UI of Windows Phpne becoming inferior to Android. I think I now have no reason to stay with Windows Phone.

I stayed with Windows Phone, even with those half functioning apps, just because of Metro. I bought many apps for the lack of quality official apps. Ex. Tweet it! And now Tweetium, Booklet for Facebook, all Angry Birds games, myTube and some other games. Now I feel like I should have gone to Android, cause there I would get all these official apps, and that too for free. I happily paid for the apps because I wanted to be with Windows Phone. Everytime I used to bring out the phone of my pocket, I would adore it for the beautiful UI. I feel like heartborken now. :D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss