Hamburger menu!!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Why dont we just give em a little more time to finish... before complaining ?? its a pure Beta Even a 1st Build...... cool down guys.... they are trying to do something different ....

" People Saw some mere screen shots of the Upcoming OS and they lost their Mind !!!!!! :/

That is because things won't change much. Same happened when new Xbox apps were introduced in the Developer Preview of 8.1. And when we complained about the speed of it, all we got was the answer, 'You are on a beta software, what do you expect, a butter smooth app?? Wait for Cyan. If you can't bear with bugs you shouldn't have installed DP'. Now we got Cyan, even some phones got Denim. Is the app as smooth as old Music+Videos hub? Don't even talk about Xbox videos app which always checks for my Xbox account even for local videos and even when I don't have Xbox account. I feel Windows 10 will end the same way.

And again, if we didn't complain now, why will Microsoft change the UI? If we complained now, gave feedback (that is what preview is for), then we can see a change in UI.

So, the discussion going on is healthy for the OS itself. We are not arguing, but helping polishing the OS more.

Asik15

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
That is because things won't change much. Same happened when new Xbox apps were introduced in the Developer Preview of 8.1. And when we complained about the speed of it, all we got was the answer, 'You are on a beta software, what do you expect, a butter smooth app?? Wait for Cyan. If you can't bear with bugs you shouldn't have installed DP'. Now we got Cyan, even some phones got Denim. Is the app as smooth as old Music+Videos hub? Don't even talk about Xbox videos app which always checks for my Xbox account even for local videos and even when I don't have Xbox account. I feel Windows 10 will end the same way.

And again, if we didn't complain now, why will Microsoft change the UI? If we complained now, gave feedback (that is what preview is for), then we can see a change in UI.

So, the discussion going on is healthy for the OS itself. We are not arguing, but helping polishing the OS more.

Giving a feedback is a correct thing .. i am talking about some people on web are complaining unnecessarily ... Complaining with a valid reason and a solution, thats what MS needs Right now

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Tabs with hamburger is the ugliest looking design. And no, tabs aren't the best for single handed use. Try tapping on a tab on 1520 with one hand and try swiping, which is easier?
Tabs and pivots aren't differentt. Pivots are evolved from tabs having a good balance in beauty and functionality

"Tabs" also allow swiping for navigation. So, It's good for one-handed-use.

In Metro, the developer has to differentiate the functional aspect of text with typography, with the size of the font. As anyone can notice smartphones have small screens, so, clearly It's not a good idea to use big fonts. But Metro is not about usability, It's about.. I don't know, abstract design that fails in reality.
So, the "Pivot" is a name to explain that tabs don't fit on the screen because the font is too big. They could use color instead of font size to differentiate the menus, but that's anti-Metro.

If a developer follows the Metro guidance she get a boring and ugly monochrome screen with huge page titles that don't fit, a confusing navigation system, menus that aren't where they're expected. A poor user experience.

With Windows 8, Microsoft went even further with Metro radicalism. Sacrificing user experience for.. I don't know, stupidity. For example, the completely hidden menus, the charms nonsense. Too much precious space wasted in white space. A new touch language with gestures that nobody adopted and they retired after a year.

Metro has been out of touch with reality since It's inception. Apple and Google assimilated the only good aspect of it, flat design, but thankfully not radical and ugly flat design. Apple and Google have a more balanced design.

Last edited:

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
"Tabs" also allow swiping for navigation. So, It's good for one-handed-use.

In Metro, the developer has to differentiate the functional aspect of text with typography, with the size of the font. As anyone can notice smartphones have small screens, so, clearly It's not a good idea to use big fonts. But Metro is not about usability, It's about.. I don't know, abstract design that fails in reality.
So, the "Pivot" is a name to explain that tabs don't fit on the screen because the font is too big. They could use color instead of font size to differentiate the menus, but that's anti-Metro.

If a developer follows the Metro guidance she get a boring and ugly monochrome screen with huge page titles that don't fit, a confusing navigation system, menus that aren't where they're expected. A poor user experience.

With Windows 8, Microsoft went even further with Metro radicalism. Sacrificing user experience for.. I don't know, stupidity. For example, the completely hidden menus, the charms nonsense. Too much precious space wasted in white space. A new touch language with gestures that nobody adopted and they retired after a year.

Metro is out of touch with reality, since It's inception. Apple and Google assimilated the only good aspect of it, flat design, but thankfully not radical and ugly flat design. Apple and Google have a more balanced design.

So you're saying that reaching all the way up to the top left, at the exact opposite of where your thumb is, is simpler than swiping up from the bottom? No, you aren't. But Microsoft is, and that's the main problem here. Not tabs, which are, indeed, probably better than pivots.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
So you're saying that reaching all the way up to the top left, at the exact opposite of where your thumb is, is simpler than swiping up from the bottom? No, you aren't. But Microsoft is, and that's the main problem here. Not tabs, which are, indeed, probably better than pivots.

No, I'm saying with tabs you can swipe close to the bottom too. So, Pivots are just Metro-distorted tabs.

But I think you refer to the picture of the new photo gallery app in Windows 10. There is no tabs there, only an hamburger menu. So, you think It's a wrong idea to force the user to the hamburger menu to access functionality that in 8.1 was more accessible through tabs/Pivot.

Well, a few years ago Microsoft reveled some stats about this particular app. It happened when they introduced some changes that caused an uproar from groups that profess Metro radicalism. If I remember correctly almost 80% of the users never go beyond the first tab in the picture gallery. So, Microsoft is moving functionally that is not frequently used to the hamburger menu, providing more screen space for the functionality that is actually used.
I think that's a great idea, hamburger menus are great when used properly as in this case.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Having hamburger in one app that too on the right side and implemented in a different way, and having hamburger in every app and implemented the Android way is the problem. You get it?? In Cortana, you have the search bar and mic button at the bottom hence the menu on the upper side. Like I don't hate hamburger, even if they put ellipsis on the upper left corner retaining the functionality of the hamburger I'd still hate it. I hate it for 2 reasons.

1. Control and menus in the app bar on the lower side of the screen are easy to use for single handed, for whatever handed use.
2. Since WP has existed, WP has done everythin differently to Android and iOS. It had it's own different UI. Now, it's all the same. It is not a good thing.

I don't get it why people buy WP and then wish it looked like Android. Why don't they get Android in the first place if you don't like pivots and big typography? It's like buying a Camaro, and saying it should look like Ferrari.

​Because it is more efficient, still has a better UI, and will have better stock apps at 10. Also, hamburger menu is on iOS as well, and they don't whine as much as WP users do. If anyone came here, they'd likely instantly realize the user base is so bad they might not get a WP device.

So you say, old gallery was difficult to get discovered by new users? How come?

And in terms of use, what is better, to swipe sideway to go to album in the current gallery (single step) or tap the hamburger then tap albums (2 stes)?

Please don't defend MS for whatever they do. I appreciate the new features in the Windwos 10 gallery but current gallery is more easy to use.

​I speak from personal experience when I had to explain several times what the three dots did for apps. People know the hamburger menu, that's a fact.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
​Because it is more efficient, still has a better UI, and will have better stock apps at 10. Also, hamburger menu is on iOS as well, and they don't whine as much as WP users do. If anyone came here, they'd likely instantly realize the user base is so bad they might not get a WP device.

​I speak from personal experience when I had to explain several times what the three dots did for apps. People know the hamburger menu, that's a fact.

Fine. Replace the three dots icon with a hamburger icon, and done. Problem solved

kalo88

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Microsofts ui is evolving, I like the direction it's going. Oversized fonts aren't particularly attractive and the metro design language has actually lead to some extremely poor quality apps because people are just throwing about squares and huge fonts.

They'll never please everyone but this design has been around for years, they're trying something new.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Do you not realise that Apple discourages the hamburger menu?
https://medium.com/design-philosophies/apple-and-hamburgers-a17e4099fada
Name an Apple app with a hamburger.
There are none, so don't bring iOS into this

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)