All buttons are going to the top! Horrible

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The best thing about the current way MS is doing business, is that users actually have an input. If there's sth you don't like or agree with then head over to the uservoice sites, but I would recommend waiting, giving it a chance and trying it out personally before jumping on the "I don't like this bandwagon". What we've seen today could change along the way :)

TuxedoST

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Fully agree. I'm hoping that it was shown in this form only because they haven't really finished setting them up for the phone UI yet. *crosses fingers*

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I presume Microsoft is doing this to accommodate non WP users who are used to similar layout on their droids and bendyphones when they use Windows 10 on their PC's. Its unfortunate, definitely and as a 1520 user I'm not looking forward to such changes but hopefully they will still maintain enough of WP's DNA that it wont lose its unique look and feel.

anon(5789608)

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
holy crap

YJUer9B.png

tquQs0W.png

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Tbh, it sucks but they can be updated for UI refresh for phones/tablets since they are all gonna be store apps now. Or that is what I'm hoping.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Also, didn't anyone ever gave them this idea of putting the top ribbon in ellipses at the bottom and use them all as staircase steps to bring them up with multiple taps on 3 dot menu. And put the typography based Titles on top like they used to have with WP7.5. Both of these could vanish as soon as user starts scrolling.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes that was the basic idea. Updating individual apps is easier and beats pushing out an update for just one system app

Oh! I knew they would all be updateable. I'm just not sure about MS taking Modern design seriously with their own apps and services. We are seeing them increasingly using top ribbons and hamburger menues for their apps and services and this is frightening.

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The ribbon has been there long before the windows phone. The only metro interface was the Zune, and it failed miserably. I for one welcome the ribbon style.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I like it! It's more stable using the phone one handed using top buttons instead of scrunching down using the current bottom buttons. Put the virtual back, windows and search buttons up there too. Or better yet use gestures like BB10.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I like it! It's more stable using the phone one handed using top buttons instead of scrunching down using the current bottom buttons. Put the virtual back, windows and search buttons up there too. Or better yet use gestures like BB10.

I don't like buttons on top, because how are you supposed to see what you're typing?

Last edited:

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The best thing about the current way MS is doing business, is that users actually have an input. If there's sth you don't like or agree with then head over to the uservoice sites, but I would recommend waiting, giving it a chance and trying it out personally before jumping on the "I don't like this bandwagon". What we've seen today could change along the way :)

Hasn't worked with OneDrive. This is the new way forward, and now it's at the expense of all our thumbs.

The reason is because MS needs to lure app developers from iOS and Android and it's easier to port an app when the UX can be the same across platforms, but it's going to be terrible for users. Unfortunately iOS and Apple have made this the standard and it's too late for Android and Windows to change it, we're all screwed.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
This was the only reason why the Lumia 1520 was so much better than Iphone 6 Plus, because on the Iphone you have to reach to the top left all the time to move back inside the applications. On a big screen phone thats a Huge challenge.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Or how about it's a system wide config to choose top or bottom positioned layout...

THIS!!!

Hopefully our user input can help change things for the better between the preview and final releases. WP8 got so many things right, and I would hate to see the usability of the OS take a huge step backward.

Please give us the option for the "..." menu along the bottom of the screen as we've had in WP8. Perfect!

LLPO

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I posted something similar in the hamburger thread, here's a snippet:

The annoying thing is that they've forgotten what was good about the current WP design principles:
1. Functions at the bottom, near your fingers, where the screen can't be covered
2. Iconography with easily accessible captions (non-IT people hate guessing what a button will do)
3. An elegant solution for showing some functions and hiding others (hamburger menus hide or show everything at once)

8 ways to tell if your mobile app sucks | Pocketnow

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...ons/6993439-buttons-to-down-not-use-hamburger
Vote if you don't like the regression of the Modern UI!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb