All buttons are going to the top! Horrible

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
The Zune didn't fail because people who bought it didn't like it, though. Virtually everybody who bought a Zune loved it - it failed because the number of people who bought one & loved it was very very small. (Which in retrospect was perfectly predictable, of course - if you're competing against maybe the most-loved product of its era (the iPod), you need something more than "lovelier interface" to win.)

You might just as well say, "The Zune played music, and it failed, so Windows Phones shouldn't play music." (Which, in fairness, seems to be the WP roadmap, just in slow motion...)

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
This is about the interface on phones.
And for the 1520 metro is much more convenient to use than the new design they've come up with

Aye, and there's the rub - This theory of trying to be universal is going to mean something has to suffer for the sake of other devices. The metro style works great on a phone because of things like small screens and one-handed use. It works okish on larger touch screens, and is not very useful on traditional PC/monitor/keyboard/mouse setups. This universal idea means we can't simply talk in terms of this being designed for phones, or tablets, or desktops. It has to be useful on all three, and more (xbox, whatever else there is).

I understand why they want to go to a universal design, and in some ways I might even agree with it, but in use I'm not liking what I'm seeing so far for the phone. For desktop use, yes I'm liking what I'm seeing in W10, but on the phone I'm not caring for the changes I've seen (which of course, are few since tech preview just got released).

Hopefully they achieve some good mix of making both sides of the user base happy, which is definitely going to be a difficult task. How to you make people that want change happy without making people that like the current interface unhappy? That is ultimate designer question.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Aye, and there's the rub - This theory of trying to be universal is going to mean something has to suffer for the sake of other devices. The metro style works great on a phone because of things like small screens and one-handed use. It works okish on larger touch screens, and is not very useful on traditional PC/monitor/keyboard/mouse setups. This universal idea means we can't simply talk in terms of this being designed for phones, or tablets, or desktops. It has to be useful on all three, and more (xbox, whatever else there is).

Yes quite correct, but you don't necessarily need to have the exact identical UI to achieve universality. Just look at what happens to the start menu when you undock a laptop and transition to tablet mode, it changes and grows to full screen. MS has already demonstrated that UI elements can change depending on the form factor (or more precisely the input method). They really need to take this idea further to maintain a consistent design language across devices without drastically sacrificing the UI/UX experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss