W10 for phones your opinion of the event news?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Still playing catch up though, iOS8 had had this for a while now. Still, good to have the feature.

Yes, but if you're in the middle of any type of messaging and a phone call comes in, the dialer app just took center stage. As usual, webOS had the best system because you got 2 options in the notifications at the bottom of the screen. Accept or ignore without losing your "place in line".

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Including the phone in the Windows 10 experience is the best news. I'll live with whatever changes I have to learn for the new OS if I can have that seamless across all devices experience. Also want a single store. And hope their promise to developers of a single build for all Windows devices really delivers.

Microsoft's capacity to go from enterprise to my cell phone is the next killer app.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I enjoyed the entire presentation. It looks like Microsoft is really trying to go places. With that being said; the PC/tablet stuff was awesome as was the Xbox stuff. The experimental stuff was... Unique interested to see where its headed. The stuff for phone didn't really blow me away, the UI was only marginally updated at most (good, I definitely didn't believe they were gonna go full blown UI refresh). I like the amazing fluidity that Windows 10 is going to offer between Microsoft products, unfortunately however that does nothing to fix the app situation for phones. Sure it makes it easier for devs to write the apps for it but that's not a solid guarantee that they will, if snapchat still doesn't want to write an app then there's still no app. The good thing though is it seems that a lot of these "features" seem to be "services" that Microsoft will likely offer on competing platforms (e.g. the Xbox app on W10 is probably what smartglass is going to turn into on other platforms) so it'll be easier to still own an iPhone and keep the ability to use Microsoft services and have a good mobile experience.

Yes, but if you're in the middle of any type of messaging and a phone call comes in, the dialer app just took center stage.

Right but we don't know if that's how Windows 10 will handle it as well. Luckily for us were here to give feedback regarding this scenario ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I liked a lot of the universal apps and cross-platform functionality. Add, some of the upgrades to Office and Outlook.

Looking forward to seeing it in action.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I loved what I saw today especially for it not showing in depth all of the features specifically for phone. I switched to Android in October last year to give Microsoft time to show us what direction they were going in and it finally makes sense now. Their vision of one OS for all devices makes you want to buy those multiple devices to use across the board. The only thing left for me is a flagship(well, a Lumia flagship) released for the three major US carriers. That is the last determining factor in my return to Windows or not. There is absolutely no good reason why the Lumia 1520 or Icon is not available on more than one carrier. Let's see what Microsoft can do for consumers as far as availability this year.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

I must say I was blown away by tge awesomeness we saw today, but for phones I felt like too litttle was changed. I really hope to see some UI changes while keeping it in the same style. The full background with no transparent tiles looks extremely ugly at least, so I hope that gets changed

Transparent tiles live on. If you go to the Windows website and click on learn more next to the Windows 10 image, you'll see it on that page. And it looks gorgeous!

Here's a screenshot.

Attachments

• 60369.jpg
    60369.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 30

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
The idea of universal apps/store apps is a win. On the other hand, UI is deviating too much from modern UI for my liking. Hopefully, it will be updated and come back to its metro/modern looks and feel.

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I was impressed by everything they had shown, except Win104phone, a little underwhelming in that department. I'm still excited for the preview though.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
If that's all they have for phones, I'm disappointed, It's not enough for a year of development. So, I hope they have more to show in a next event.

From what they showed today, It seems the strategy for phones is to make Windows 10 a total success in PCs, and expect some people to say, "hey, I love Windows 10, I would like this same experience in my phone". Most of the talk about phones was Universal apps and how the experience is consistent across form factors. From what they showed today, there isn't a new feature in phone itself that could alter the market position of the product.

If I understood correctly the phone also has the holographic APIs, why?

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is the feature there? Sure, but the app must be designed to work like this too, and I've not found any uses (my iPad air is WiFi only)

Uuum... What?

I got to say, today was an interesting day for microsoft.

It truly was! My favorite part was the Xbox/Direct X 12 stuff. I really like what the OS is looking like on the desktop.

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm fine will all the changes they've made to their apps including the UIs. But I do hope that they would keep the Metro-UI as in 8.1 albeit with some refreshment. Perhaps one of the reasons they use the top bar would be for Android and iOS users to easily adapt but how about the people that are familiar with Windows 8.1 as it is right now. I love the elegant design of Windows. But if that hamburger and top bar stuff as people like to call them make their way to Windows, it will be alright. I believe in the vision of this new and fresh Microsoft.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
There needs to be some cutting edge hardware announced by April or windows for phones will be a distant memory. I was expecting something closer to windows rt on a phone, which would blow Android and ios our of the water. Instead we get a safe tweak to an existing operating system that can run on two year old bottom end phones. Drop the Nokia/Lumia low end strategy and come out with the surface phone already.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
After seeing today's presentation:

Things I liked:
- the return of the integrated chat app
- the direction they're going with the unification of OS and apps across devices

What I didn't quite like:
- Overall, the UI seems more cluttered, the minimalistic charm of the Metro/Modern UI that Windows Phone prides itself on seems to be getting lost
- There's also a loss of consistency, we now have screens that have either hamburger menus or ellipses, or sometimes both. And as others have also pointed out, moving the menu and actions to the top really doesn't make much sense.

I realize it's still work in progress though I'm hopeful that things will turn out alright in the end. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
From what little was shown I was half excited/half disappointed. I liked most of the new features (expandable quick settings, actionable toast notifications, voice typing) but pretty much hated all the UI design decisions. The Outlook app, the photos gallery, settings screen, background behind the tiles. They all looked like poor copies of something you'd see on Android or iOS. Maybe there will be some visual tweaking between now and when the os is complete but the lack of Metro/Modern design elements in this new version of Windows Phone is disheartening to say the least.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Did anybody notice Joe replying to a text while still in the settings menu? He didn't have to leave the application and briefly switch to messaging. Messaging was overlaid on top of the current app! Brilliant!
Exactly! Actionable notifications! A hugely popular requested feature... Apple has this with iOS 8, and I can tell you it's very useful!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb