W10 for phones your opinion of the event news?

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Eh, Okay I guess. I hope they are not planning to release their flagship around the same time period of the LG G4, Note 5 & Iphone 6S(August,September, October time-frame).

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Think of what MS is doing in a WWE context. First we have the Champion = PC, then he loses the belt and now looks to become the Tag Team Champions = PC + Tablet, and with that partnership going full steam ahead -> Intro of W10 OS, after that's accomplished we see another potential partner for a Survivor Series triple threat match = introducing the W10 for mobile and before that match occurs we see how first the PC operates alone, then the Tablet, then the PC+ Tablet, then intros the Mobile and when all three are on the same page we then hear the announcement for the SURVIVOR SERIES TRIPLE THREAT MATCH = When we will have W10 for our mobile devices ready for DL hopefully before Xmas!!

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Think of what MS is doing in a WWE context. First we have the Champion = PC, then he loses the belt and now looks to become the Tag Team Champions = PC + Tablet, and with that partnership going full steam ahead -> Intro of W10 OS, after that's accomplished we see another potential partner for a Survivor Series triple threat match = introducing the W10 for mobile and before that match occurs we see how first the PC operates alone, then the Tablet, then the PC+ Tablet, then intros the Mobile and when all three are on the same page we then hear the announcement for the SURVIVOR SERIES TRIPLE THREAT MATCH = When we will have W10 for our mobile devices ready for DL hopefully before Xmas!!

What was that?!!

Shaz2012

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There is a flash player installed on windows RT, I'm sure this will be the case with windows 10, but will it also be installed on the phones?

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to read MS' internal guidelines for WP UI design. Right now it seems MS is ignoring many of the subtle differences that made WP great. We seem to be headed towards a WP user interface that is characterless and unprincipled in comparison.

Of course, this all comes with the caveat that we were presented very early development releases, where much can still change. But at least based on what I saw, I'm no longer a fan of the WP UI.

Old metro had some good stuff, some problems, but surely It wasn't consistent with anything else, importantly It wasn't consistent with the PC UI. So, WP was isolated with an unfamiliar UI.

Consistency with the PC is the biggest drive behind these changes.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Old metro had some good stuff, some problems, but surely It wasn't consistent with anything else

It doesn't need to be consistent with anything else. It should strive only to be consistent with itself!

Metro (no need to call it "Old Metro", as this is no longer Metro) is a UI design language that was conceptualized to work well on small screens. Such a UI can never be the same as the best possible UI for a large screen. You'd have thought MS learned their lessen when they tried to bring Metro, that was designed for small screens, to W8 which is used on large screens. That didn't go well. This is the exact same mistake in reverse.

MS needs to be consistent in three ways:
  1. The design language used on devices above 8" needs to be consistent within itself
  2. The design language used on devices below 8" needs to be consistent within itself
  3. And MS needs a consistent approach to mapping the different concepts between those two worlds (generally moving the ribbon down into the command bar is one example, which by itself already makes the point that it can't possibly be 100%consistent)
The question is which parts of Metro are worth keeping, because they simply work better on small devices. This is where MS is making mistakes. Maintaining design consistency across completely different devices just for the sake of consistency isn't worth anything. That's just counterproductive and asking for trouble. It's better to have design languages specifically tailored/optimized for the devices they are predominantly used on.

W10M isn't even consistent within itself at this point. Like I said, it's both clicky and swipy and neither. Add in all the existing apps and any semblance of consistency goes out the window.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't need to be consistent with anything else. It should strive only to be consistent with itself!

Metro (no need to call it "Old Metro", as this is no longer Metro) is a UI design language that was conceptualized to work well on small screens. Such a UI can never be the same as the best possible UI for a large screen. You'd have thought MS learned their lessen when they tried to bring Metro, that was designed for small screens, to W8 which is used on large screens. That didn't go well. This is the exact same mistake in reverse.

1. The design language used on devices above 8" needs to be consistent within itself
  2. The design language used on devices below 8" needs to be consistent within itself
  3. And MS needs a consistent approach to mapping the different concepts between those two worlds (generally moving the ribbon down into the command bar is one example, which by itself already makes the point that it can't possibly be 100%consistent)
The question is which parts of Metro are worth keeping, because they simply work better on small devices. This is where MS is making mistakes. Maintaining design consistency across completely different devices just for the sake of consistency isn't worth anything. That's just counterproductive and asking for trouble. It's better to have design languages specifically tailored/optimized for the devices they are predominantly used on.

W10M isn't even consistent within itself at this point. Like I said, it's both clicky and swipy and neither. Add in all the existing apps and any semblance of consistency goes out the window.
Just make sure you submit your feedback to the Insider program. If they are as serious about hearing from the end user and making adjustments where possible, your opinion might make a difference.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

People reject UI changes even if they improve things, you have to force them to change, this can be done in the enterprise, you install a new software and the employees have to use it. In the consumer market this can't be done.

So familiarity is really important, a product that works differently gets a immediate negative response. If Windows and the dominant mobile platforms use commands at the top, It's good idea to do the same, even paying a small cost in efficiency.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
People reject UI changes even if they improve things, you have to force them to change, this can be done in the enterprise, you install a new software and the employees have to use it. In the consumer market this can't be done.

So familiarity is really important, a product that works differently gets a immediate negative response. If Windows and the dominant mobile platforms use commands at the top, It's good idea to do the same, even paying a small cost in efficiency.

That point I will grant you. I'm just not sure how important that is anymore. Even if WP was an iOS or Android clone, and did everything just a little bit better, it still wouldn't be enough to gain much market share. People are generally just happy where they are and without a very specific need, they have no reason to switch, particularly not to something that is pretty much the same as what they already own, just with different colours and less apps.

At this point what WP needs is a game changer (maybe Hololens?). Something a lot of people find highly desirable that would make people willing to look past the app gap. That is the only thing that will lift WP out of it's market share and app gap misery. If WP can do that, they will also easily get people to look past the slightly different UI. At least that's my take, but yeah, I could be wrong...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just make sure you submit your feedback to the Insider program. If they are as serious about hearing from the end user and making adjustments where possible, your opinion might make a difference.

Liking the post might also help it get some attention ;-) There are some MS people lurking amongst us :)

iXesh

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
What do you think about Windows 10 for phone!

According to me the update is good, but still if there is any limitations on it then it is worse for me.
And i dont think MS has fixed the limitations.
And UI, if user is new then it is good for him, if using windows phone for long time then he may be crying!

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: What do you think about Windows 10 for phone!

According to me the update is good, but still if there is any limitations on it then it is worse for me.
And i dont think MS has fixed the limitations.
And UI, if user is new then it is good for him, if using windows phone for long time then he may be crying!
Putting it mildly. The UI is what happens when you take guidelines as vague suggestions

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
From the bits I saw yesterday... Not impressed. I feel like since Nadella came in he's doing everything he can to push me away from WP. Verizon too.

edshred

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. I'd be horrified if there were sweeping changes to the UI as I love it. I'm keen to see added functionality, but am keeping my fingers crossed that the UI doesn't change too much.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: What do you think about Windows 10 for phone!

From the bits I saw yesterday... Not impressed. I feel like since Nadella came in he's doing everything he can to push me away from WP. Verizon too.

Sorry you take it so personally. I for one, am very impressed and excited from what I've seen and read so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa