Possible Revolution by MS, A new flagship.

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking that MS should release 2 flagships like the Surface series.
There should be 2 variants:
The Standard One:
Qualcomm SD 810 OctaCore 64-bit processor
32GB onboard storage
20MP camera and 5/8MP selfie cam
3/4GB of RAM
5" FHD/QHD Display(1080p/2k)
3050mAH Battery with Quickcharge 2.0
An evolved design from Lumia 930

The Revolutionary Pro One:
Intel Atom Quadcore 64-bit or an ULV i5/i3 series processor (x86 architecture).
64GB onboard storage
20MP primary cam and 8MP selfie cam
4/8GB of RAM
5.5/6" QHD Display(2k)
4080mAH Battery
An evolved design from Surface Pro 3.
MicroHDMI 2.0 support with output to 4k.
Now the Revolutionary side:
Since the device runs on x86, the device should be running a modded desktop/phone hybrid variant of Windows10. I mean when you use is as a phone, it runs on the phone UI. But If you give an output via HDMI, and connect a keyboard and mouse via Bluetooth or a dock, the device gives an output as a fully capable desktop OS, able to run legacy apps. The desktop variant will be in sync the phone apps and tasks.

It should be the merger of the gap between desktops and mobile devices. It will bring in a new era of devices where portability and productivity is in harmony.

If MS would ever do something like this, They would make windows10 an even cooler experience. And since the pro variant runs on x86, we could finally stream xbox one games onto it.

Comment your thoughts on it.

Last edited:

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I really hope they don't use a 2K display. 1080p is way more than good enough and it uses way less battery. OnePlus did it right IMO.

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I really hope they don't use a 2K display. 1080p is way more than good enough and it uses way less battery. OnePlus did it right IMO.

The SD 810 can show its full prowess on 4k too, and 2k has become the new standard. You wouldn't call it a flagship if it doesn't pack the latest features.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely feel that the next Lumia 6in phablet should feature the Intel Cherry Trail SoC. This would give us a true tablet/phone hybrid. So the only thing I would change in your Revolutionary Pro One is to make it a 6in device. All the other specs look good.

Edit: Also as for the standard device higher then 1080p on a 5in device is unnecessary in my opinion.

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Reducing battery life on a phone for higher resolution does not sound like a feature.

I absolutely feel that the next Lumia 6in phablet should feature the Intel Cherry Trail SoC. This would give us a true tablet/phone hybrid. So the only thing I would change in your Revolutionary Pro One is to make it a 6in device. All the other specs look good.

Edit: Also as for the standard device higher then 1080p on a 5in device is unnecessary in my opinion.

I completely agree with you, anything more than 326 ppi density is useless. But considering that android flags with 2k display isn't hogging battery(thnx to 810's 4 low power cores), I don't think MS should leave the display specs to yesteryear's best.

And yeah 14nm processors would be the ultimate core for such a system.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Intel architecture on a phone is pointless and wont happen anyway as Microsoft has stated 7" and under devices will run the mobile version of Windows 10 which means no desktop and no Intel advantage ergo, pointless. Plus the desktop will be unusable, especially with the ridiculous screen resolution proposed.

Personally I'd like to see some true innovation that does not involve just slapping in as much RAM as possible or the fastest CPU available and instead brings about new experiences and ways of using a smartphone.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree with you, anything more than 326 ppi density is useless. But considering that android flags with 2k display isn't hogging battery(thnx to 810's 4 low power cores), I don't think MS should leave the display specs to yesteryear's best.

And yeah 14nm processors would be the ultimate core for such a system.

I don't know where you're getting this info from, but that's definitely not the case. Look at how long the OnePlus One lasts compared to the Nexus 6.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
As long as its a +5" phone, powerful and not gimmicky, ill be ready for my upgrade this summer. :)

Damn, I hope it has a camera worth calling a 1020 replacement, though. Not expecting this, however.

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Intel architecture on a phone is pointless and wont happen anyway as Microsoft has stated 7" and under devices will run the mobile version of Windows 10 which means no desktop and no Intel advantage ergo, pointless. Plus the desktop will be unusable, especially with the ridiculous screen resolution proposed.

Personally I'd like to see some true innovation that does not involve just slapping in as much RAM as possible or the fastest CPU available and instead brings about new experiences and ways of using a smartphone.

its not, the CISC architecture can give a way better output even for Arm optimized processes. Slapping in much RAM is proposed so that we get a 5" device with the potential of a laptop because a 64 bit processor needs a system with atleast 4GB of RAM. Its completely Doable, Look at the specs by ASUS Zenphone 2 and Xiaomi Mi Note. And I am saying that MS make a hybrid Win10 variants that can run both Desktop as well as mobile version. This will indeed unleash a new era of devices which could potentially replace the machines at home or work.

@Jas00555 this is the newer SD 810, not 805, and indeed has 8 cores of which 4 are for low power mode. But intel's cherry trail could make this pretty much possible.

Either you guys aren't ready for it yet or MS isn't because of the current pricing of these components in the industry.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I am definitely ready for a phone running x86 "real" Windows. Something like one of the small Atom-based tablets or a "Surface Pro Mini" - just add in the GSM radios and sim card slot and pin a "Phone" app to the start menu.

If navigating a desktop on a 5 inch screen is so ridiculous, why is there a Remote Desktop app available for every phone which allows you to do just that, with a remote computer?

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I would like to see two TRUE flagships, by that I mean they should have everything - expandable memory slot, top of the class processor, minimum 20 MP camera, high capacity battery, all the sensors, minimum 1080p screen, minimum 2 GB RAM and minimum 32 GB ROM.

Why two? SIZE.
One should be no bigger than 5" with a small bezel and the other should be a phablet (presumably a 1520 replacement).

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The Revolutionary Pro One

An interesting combination of specs. With what windows 10 for the phone will bring, simply being able to project the windows phone version alone to a larger screen for document editing and the occasional game, video, slidshow or presentation alone would suffice. I could skip all the desktop clutter together when thinking mobile but having the essentials in a small form factor in your pocket. In this line of things I would argue to even bump up the back camera to 40 mpix. The only other thing missing with this picture is support for landscape mode of the start screen.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
OK here's my oppinion.

Yes, I would like a new flagship very much. I'm all about that high-end-flagship life, doe!

BUT - I would not like a BS phone.

3/4 GBs of RAM is BS. Why? Because you don't need that much. I don't need that much RAM on my PC, why would I need that much on a phone.
Never, ever, ever. Unless we suddenly have a revolution where mobile devices become PCs and can do anything you want.

Intel i5 or whatever you said is BS. Why? Read above. This isn't a PC, so some Snapdragon thingy will do the right job.
If there are phones which run WP fine on a Snapdragon from years back (s4+ or 200), why the HECK do you need an desktop processor. You won't run 3D modeling apps on it.
Also do you know how much power do such things need, and not only power but cooling. That won't happen in the next 5 years.

2k/4k display is PURE BS! Why? Because you can't see it. You can not see the diference even between 720p and 1080p (on a ~5 inch display).
Then why the HECK do you need 2k/4k? Oh, but Samsung did it, so that means we have to do it too NO!
Don't even get me started on the power consumption of that thing. Even 1080p eats it up quick.

Anything beyond 32GBs of storage is also not needed. But if you need more, you can always get a memory card. Even today's phones support 128 GB cards.

I agree with the rest, cameras need improvement (both rear and front), and there should be support for the newest ports and standards (newest usb with OTG, idk which one, same goes for HDMI and the other good stuff like bluetooth and the 3.5 mm jack).

Also the mobile-desktop hybrid ain't gonna happen soon. It's not a bad idea but it's hard to put out, and it's not a feature everyone would use (not even the majority).

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
OK here's my oppinion.

Yes, I would like a new flagship very much. I'm all about that high-end-flagship life, doe!

BUT - I would not like a BS phone.

3/4 GBs of RAM is BS. Why? Because you don't need that much. I don't need that much RAM on my PC, why would I need that much on a phone.
Never, ever, ever. Unless we suddenly have a revolution where mobile devices become PCs and can do anything you want.

Intel i5 or whatever you said is BS. Why? Read above. This isn't a PC, so some Snapdragon thingy will do the right job.
If there are phones which run WP fine on a Snapdragon from years back (s4+ or 200), why the HECK do you need an desktop processor. You won't run 3D modeling apps on it.
Also do you know how much power do such things need, and not only power but cooling. That won't happen in the next 5 years.

2k/4k display is PURE BS! Why? Because you can't see it. You can not see the diference even between 720p and 1080p (on a ~5 inch display).
Then why the HECK do you need 2k/4k? Oh, but Samsung did it, so that means we have to do it too NO!
Don't even get me started on the power consumption of that thing. Even 1080p eats it up quick.

Anything beyond 32GBs of storage is also not needed. But if you need more, you can always get a memory card. Even today's phones support 128 GB cards.

I agree with the rest, cameras need improvement (both rear and front), and there should be support for the newest ports and standards (newest usb with OTG, idk which one, same goes for HDMI and the other good stuff like bluetooth and the 3.5 mm jack).

Also the mobile-desktop hybrid ain't gonna happen soon. It's not a bad idea but it's hard to put out, and it's not a feature everyone would use (not even the majority).

You have no idea of the difference between RISC AND CISC. intel uses CISC which makes a dual core intel way more powerful than a quad core Snapdragon. WE NEED A DESKTOP PROCESSOR BECAUSE WE EXPECT THIS DEVICE TO BE A PORTABLE LAPTOP SUBSTITUTE. AND POWER AND COOLING ARE ALREADY FIXED thnx to 20nm processors and the 14nm upcoming processors can give 2 weeks of battery life on a laptop. Stop calling everything you don't know BS, BS , BS...

And If you say that you don't need 4GB of ram, I don't think you have experienced the difference in performance of a 64 bit system to that or a 32 bit one( After Effects, Photoshop, and on the mobile side, Even better GAMING) . And I suggested 4 GB not because SAMSUNG uses it, but because 64bit systems need atleast 4GB to work. using a 64 bit system with 2GB RAM is pointless. And If you had given attention to my title, that revolution is exactly what I am talking about.

2k resolution is pretty good on a 5"+ device but I do agree that on a 5" its not much of an advantage., just compare a 1080p to 2k display while playing a 4k content and then you will get it. And if you say that 720p and 1080p are indistinguishable on a 5" display , then you obviously have eye problems. anything above 326 ppi achieves that retina display where you cant distinguish the pixels. And a 720p on 5" is 294ppi and 1080p is 443ppi.

1080p doesn't eat up quick on a snapdragon 801, so wont a 2k on a snapdragon 810, because it HAS power saving capabilities and this device packs a 4000mAH battery.

How do you decide anything beyond 32 GB isn't needed? My music collection itself is around 20+GB (FLAC). Havent you heard? storage is something that is the more the better.

Stop calling everything BS, And you will see how the world will respond when Apple is going to come out with the iPhone Pro with these capabilities( yeah MAC OS ). But then Lazy MS would be more than happy to play catch up with these on Windows 15.

henocksandy

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Stop calling everything BS, And you will see how the world will respond when Apple is going to come out with the iPhone Pro with these capabilities( yeah MAC OS ). But then Lazy MS would be more than happy to play catch up with these on Windows 15.
I'll be seeing apple services being hacked at that time.
I don't see the difference between iOS and WP, iOS is just faster and have more apps. Other than that i see WP have more features in the OS. Live tile is a big thing for Windows, and it will become more beautiful! Once developers start making apps for WP then lets see what other OS can do to catch up. Apple are already doing their best on their product but Microsoft just joined the party and they still have to show what they can do.
I see Microsoft OS being more secure and have more features.
I agree that iPhones have great speed and nice display, they have a great hardware. Microsoft will join the hardware part once they complete the OS

henocksandy

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I would like a phone to have:
5.5 inch display
720p or 1080p display
Dial sim
Snapdragon 805 processor
41mp pure view camera
5mp front shooter
3GB RAM if there is split screen or else 2GB so that it runs smoothly
16GB internal storage
Good Speaker

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I would like a phone to have:
5.5 inch display
720p or 1080p display
Dial sim
Snapdragon 805 processor
41mp pure view camera
5mp front shooter
3GB RAM if there is split screen or else 2GB so that it runs smoothly
16GB internal storage
Good Speaker
Sounds good enough, but I would prefer to see 32GB of storage space with microSD expansion.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I will not buy another high end phone unless it supports two SIM cards. I am getting tired of carrying my company phone and my private phone around (I know, first world problem) but I am sure I am not the only one who would like to combine two devices into one truly high end device. Give me an updated L1520 with dual SIM and I will happily throw my money at it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077