Possible Revolution by MS, A new flagship.

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I will not buy another high end phone unless it supports two SIM cards. I am getting tired of carrying my company phone and my private phone around (I know, first world problem) but I am sure I am not the only one who would like to combine two devices into one truly high end device. Give me an updated L1520 with dual SIM and I will happily throw my money at it.

Because Dual SIM is thing that gets sold only in developing nations, you cant get flagship specs on a dual sim phone. If you are willing to use android check out Xiaomi Mi Note or Mi Note Pro. Its a premium built device.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Why not a 20MP selfie Kinect camera that lets you use gestures instead of a BT mouse? And maybe a pinhead projector on front to display a virtual keyboard on any surface?
holographic keyboard.jpg

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
not more than 5" for me and i like bigger batteries

Bigger batteries = bigger (or thicker) phone - you need to put it somewhere, until the new battery technologies become mainstream.

Personally, I'll take a little thicker phone with concave sides to allow for grip w some texture (faux leather!) on the back

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It is always fascinating to see people present the latest homage to specs that I expect most here (or anywhere else) do not understand. Everyone else then starts chiming in with their own fantasies that end up reading like children one upping each other on a playground. First, there is never going to be a Surface phone or Surface inspired phone. Surface Pro 3 sells well enough but no Surface has been a market shifting product and the mini was cancelled before it got out the door. Does anyone really think that targeting for your market a fraction of the small Surface market is going to be economically feasible? For that matter is anyone even factoring in the words "economically feasible" at all? Who is going to buy a phone that would effectively require you to take out a loan to purchase? Ask Blackberry how that worked out for them a couple years ago.

I hate to tell people but whatever is released as a "flagship" will not be cutting edge - it will more or less match the specs of an upper end Android (and possibly iPhone). In the US it will also be a carrier exclusive. Go on fantasizing but it just leads to disappointment later. It is also silly to refer to things as revolutionary, and is more than a bit egotistical as well. Quite frankly, it conveys that you are the true genius who understand what the masses want (or should want). When a phone is announced its specs will amount to chips in the game and nothing more. There is no revolution to be had anyway - it requires some great upswell of anti Apple and Android sentiment that does not exist. The flagship will be to solidify third place and make a profit, not recreate the dynamics of a market that has no interest in changing, nor make a handful of WP 8.X spec obsessed types happy, and a financial loss....

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Why on earth would you want an x86 cpu on a phone?

The snapdragon socs are more than capable in terms of compute or graphics processing.

With the new versions of office and the advent of small tablets running full blown windows makes this whole discussion pointless. Not to mention you open up a new avenue for malware...

If you really need to use PC applications on your phone use remote desktop / splashtop.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
At any rate. I still believe we will see a 6in phablet running an Intel Atom (Cherry Trail) Z3580 Quad-Core SoC with 4GBs of RAM and 64/128GBs of storage. Just my opinion. As for this desktop on the phone? Well there won't be any. But it will be on your monitor when you dock the phone.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Whatever the next Lumia high end phone brings I'll be happy to give my money if it's as fast (or really close as fast) as my M8 :smile:

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely feel that the next Lumia 6in phablet should feature the Intel Cherry Trail SoC. This would give us a true tablet/phone hybrid. So the only thing I would change in your Revolutionary Pro One is to make it a 6in device. All the other specs look good.

Edit: Also as for the standard device higher then 1080p on a 5in device is unnecessary in my opinion.

While I agree and also think that's 100% true as far as functionality goes, it's about consumer perception. If they push out a device with a 1080p screen, everyone will see the sea of phones with 2K screens and immediately say that the 1080p is inferior. That's a reason why they need to keep up with the specs.

tomworthjr

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I love the concave idea! Curved displays are possible now, but basically a gimmick.
I think the things people are looking for are 1) amazing camera (which flagship Lumias have), and 2) battery life.
Since you can't really accomplish much optical zoom in a phone cam, you take the PureView 41 megapixel, with all of its bulky thickness, and allow its detailed image capture to let you zoom in after the fact. You put that thick bulky camera in a top corner of the phone where it is thickest, instead of in the middle of the phone. You also use that thick-at-the-edges, concave shape to cram in extra battery all throughout the phone. And the gently sloped concavity feels good wrapping around your face during the rare occasions when you hold it up to talk.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I love the concave idea! Curved displays are possible now, but basically a gimmick.
I think the things people are looking for are 1) amazing camera (which flagship Lumias have), and 2) battery life.
Since you can't really accomplish much optical zoom in a phone cam, you take the PureView 41 megapixel, with all of its bulky thickness, and allow its detailed image capture to let you zoom in after the fact. You put that thick bulky camera in a top corner of the phone where it is thickest, instead of in the middle of the phone. You also use that thick-at-the-edges, concave shape to cram in extra battery all throughout the phone. And the gently sloped concavity feels good wrapping around your face during the rare occasions when you hold it up to talk.

That sounds like an awful idea...thick edges getting thinner towards the center? That sounds horribly awkward and uncomfortable

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I feel like these specs like 2k/4k resolutions, 3/4 GB of RAM, Intel x86 processors only serve to raise prices and reduce battery life as opposed to actually adding tangible functionality. If we aren't going to get true x86 functions on phones, what's the point?

​I shouldn't have to pay $50 more for a flagship with a higher resolution screen and not even notice the difference (which I most certainly won't... but you always have those people going "But look at the enhanced clarity! 4k ftw brah 1080 sux.")

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I would not be against an Intel x86 processor in my phone. BUT! It must have the capability to either become a laptop or tablet or connect to a display then I could find the processor actually useful in a phone. Otherwise it would be pointless.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Atom is good enough as you say. But some of the New Broadwell Chips are pretty efficient. So it might be possible for a Broadwell M chip or maybe an i3. An i5 might be overkill for the phone battery heck and i3 would give the battery a run for it's money still. LOL at the xeon comment. If they can get that to work I would be impressed.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
At any rate. I still believe we will see a 6in phablet running an Intel Atom (Cherry Trail) Z3580 Quad-Core SoC with 4GBs of RAM and 64/128GBs of storage. Just my opinion. As for this desktop on the phone? Well there won't be any. But it will be on your monitor when you dock the phone.
Motorola tried that with webtop, that didn't go to well.

Arhitecter

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Lol. Android syndrome here. I understand why so many android users dream about smartphone on desktop windows, but this is silly and never be happen. However! Microsoft can make new 'Handheld PC', something like HP Jornada 720.

Last edited:

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
While I agree and also think that's 100% true as far as functionality goes, it's about consumer perception. If they push out a device with a 1080p screen, everyone will see the sea of phones with 2K screens and immediately say that the 1080p is inferior. That's a reason why they need to keep up with the specs.

Thing is there are currently NO 5in devices using a 2k screen. But I'm all for that on larger devices.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
an overpowered and highly possible overpriced phone like WNxAshik suggesting is definitely not what I want from the next Microsoft Lumia flagship

and two flagships? lol, that's a big loss of money for Microsoft

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss