Possible Revolution by MS, A new flagship.

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
This thread alive again?
I've put some thoughts about this matter and I think these factors will hinder phones running full Windows 10:

1. Heat and battery
Phones are usually bad in managing heat. Plus, running full Windows will make it worse. Even worse if you put up an nVidia or ATI GPU.
And it's also worth noting that heat kills battery faster.

2. Price
Imagine how much "the Revolutionary Pro" with all that specs would be priced? My guess is it'll be more than USD 2k.
With current condition of Windows Phone market share, it's very hard to see this phone selling well with that price tag.
And that means more and more money loss for Microsoft...

Not to mention that you need the extra docking station and/or a monitor to make use of the PC. Ain't nobody got time (and money) for that?

3. Comfort
Firstly, it's a phone. You won't plug it into a monitor or put it in the docking station for the majority of times.
Then we will see the big wasted money-burner which is an x86 phone that will only be used as a PC for less than one-eighth of its usage time.

Using a dock for a 6" phone sounds retarded. Even worse if it were 5.5". And with QHD resolution, you're going to have a bad time seeing letters in that screen.
What legacy apps you want to see in a 6" monitor? None.

We can all dream, but honestly I can't see this kind of device hit the market in the next 4 years...

Well, Unless you get a facility, you wont know how important it becomes in your life. LIKE THE INTERNET

The Dockable to a PC, Portable like a phone devices will soon define our future.

AND he meant a dock to give options for HDMI OUT and USB slots. Not for a 6" monitor but for a 40" one. And the device supposedly only runs legacy apps when it has an HDMI out Display connected to it.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I got that one wrong there.

But ask yourself: how many hours will you put that phone on its dock compared to use it as a phone?
How many days before the battery dies of heat?
How many people will buy it, considering its primarily a phone with that kind of spec and OS?

Unless I get a good answer to these, I don't think this kind of tech would come soon

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
CISC more efficient then RISC....lol

You can't compare microarchitectures by just single product, they have different design goal.

Do some google then you'll see RISC being used in supercomputers shows greater power than CISC CPUs.

The microarchitecture is not even a point here.

MSFT is never a fast-response organization. For more than four years the WP had came out, it never even make it adapted to anything rather than Qcom SoC. I couldn't see it expending its support list in mobile devices anytime soon.

4GB/8GB RAM is also pointless, it's not a "must" for x64 SoC. Apple has demostrated it with a healthy package running by just 1GB RAM.

needless to say about independant GPU.....just do some searching in how much these chips consume power and current battery technology before you make your wish list into StarTrek equipment list.

HDMI output is also kind of a backward step to take when you see mirecast/airplay a very easy solution. I have a HTPC in my living room and I hate those cables....

I agree that a good SPEC WP phone in good price is a must. Nokia and MSFT had released many overpriced/underspec devices in the past year(735:selling unsalable parts from 720?/830:S400 for a 8series device in 2014? terrible white balance, is there anyone not colorblind in MSFT?/535/635/435: why helping Qcom selling those low-end, out-dated performance SoCs KILLED by MTK SoCs? and their price....OMG) and they are so disappointed to even look at it (what's a point to get a suck 4~6series lumia when you can get a nice 2nd hand 920/ATIV S that kills those junk anyday in same price?). But expecting WP to gain market share by just top-end SPEC is just too geek to success. We don't even know what hardware we need to run win10 for phone comfortablely so it's hard to image a proper flapship would be like. I do think keep their good name in camera is the way to go, big sensor, nice lens, smart software. Stop using sensor less than 1/3" and use the name "pureview" to sell it, hate to see the way Sony plays the name "walkman" and "cybershot" in their feature phones but not putting any chips to really make it special ten years ago.

A bit off-topic I guess.....=w= Basically anything with top-spec paring with android phone plus a killer camera will be a nice flagship phone for WP I think.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Do we really need a fully functional PC in our pockets? I know 4 years ago I thought that was the next logical step, and the dream was to be able to dock our phones into whatever screen and use it like a pc.

But the game has changed because of the cloud, I have everything on onedrive and can access it any time from my windows phone or any PC or Mac I encounter. I used to use remote desktop all the time but now I have no need for it whatsoever. I know there are some users that would still want their phone to be able to function as their PC, but I think it is a small number of users and so this would be a niche product (a very cool product but still niche).

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
The Dockable to a PC, Portable like a phone devices will soon define our future.
Have you ever heard about the ASUS PadFone family? Not seeing that going anywhere

Have you ever watched ironman movie or the hololens preview? That's the future, did you see any docking concept there?

The beauty of cloud is that you won't tie yourself up in just one machine but you can aeecss everything you need in anythine, any form.

I can't image wearing a fit suit with a bulky phone in my pocket, I just can't

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you ever heard about the ASUS PadFone family? Not seeing that going anywhere

The entire Asus line hasn't made a dent in sales just like many other OEMs. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea. There have been other docking solutions in the past and have failed to gain traction but again, it doesn't mean they don't have merit. Poor execution does not translate to a bad idea.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
The entire Asus line hasn't made a dent in sales just like many other OEMs. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea. There have been other docking solutions in the past and have failed to gain traction but again, it doesn't mean they don't have merit. Poor execution does not translate to a bad idea.

It's not that itsbad idea, but I think it might just come to fruition in a slightly different way then we might see it now. Like with the Ironman example above, even though its fictional it demonstrates a good point, that a dockable solution is kind of 'primitive' in the sense that it's a physical connection.

Rather then have to physically dock your phone, wouldn't it be simpler to just walk up to any screen/monitor you want and log in (fingerprint scanner or whatever)? All your data is in the cloud so anything from a tablet, HDTV, hololens, etc can be used whenever and wherever you need it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven