Will the Windows phone 8 apps work on Windows 10 (for phone) ??

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Here's my take on this. Take it or leave it.

Windows 10 Tech Preview runs Windows 8 and 8.1 apps. It also runs older Desktop programs that Windows 8.1 had trouble being compatible with. It is the most compatible OS for running desktop apps and Metro apps out to date. Since Windows 10 will also be used on phone, then I believe that the phone, while not able to necessarily run apps for WP7 or earlier, should have no issues with WP8.1 apps. Current WP store apps should still be there and expanded upon as Universal apps become the norm.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
It's the same for iThingy's, the next update works with existing apps, however they'll need tweaking to have complete compatibility.

G.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
From what I understood from one developer who was working on making universal apps, it will be most likely that windows (phone) 8.x apps will work on windows 10. I also think that windows 10 app will work with windows 8.x. After all it is the same store and I'm already seeing and installing universal apps on my windows (phone) 8.x devices.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
It would make no sense not to provide backwards compitability. So I'll go with yes.
I'm almost 100% sure about the WP 8/8.1 apps, however as said above, W7 apps are risky.
However I don't think I use any W7 apps, all are updated and use W8/8.1 functionality.
Also if an app hasn't been updated in so much, it just says how much the developer cares about you.
You're better of without that app.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
WhatsApp will play catch up game again (is it even optimized for 8.1?) but I guess it (and the rest) will work

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos