Hard drive destroyed after Windows 10, anyone else?

Timoshu

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
After I upgraded Windows Technical Preview, which is running in dual-boot alongside Windows 8.1, my computer turned off. When I turn it back on, the BIOS asks which hard drive to use but there aren't any listed apart from the CD-Drive...

What can I do? Does anyone else have the same problem?

Thanks for any help!

Timoshu

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have tried to run it with Ubuntu on a CD and it says "Filesystem not found">
I have also tried Seagate Seatools for DOS to test HardDrive and it says that no hard drives have been found...

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes I have tried to run it with Ubuntu on a CD and it says "Filesystem not found">
I have also tried Seagate Seatools for DOS to test HardDrive and it says that no hard drives have been found...

Either your Hard Drive is dead or the Sata Cable has gone bad. Try replacing the Sata cable and see if it shows back up. Also try a different Sata port on the Motherboard and see if that works. If it doesn't show back up in the Bios sounds like your HDD died.

Timoshu

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Either your Hard Drive is dead or the Sata Cable has gone bad. Try replacing the Sata cable and see if it shows back up. Also try a different Sata port on the Motherboard and see if that works. If it doesn't show back up in the Bios sounds like your HDD died.

I'm using a laptop and the SATA cable doesn't seem to be able to come out. Is it possible to take it out on a laptop? Furthemore, there isn't any other Sata ports.

Last edited:

Timoshu

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
did you try with usb having windows 10 or 8.1 setup so that u can make sure whether hard disk is working or not.

I'm sure the hard drive is not working. However, it does not even try to spin or make noise. The problem is probably the SATA cable not providing power to the hard drive.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Any luck fixing it? Are you sure it was the Windows Techical Preview (Windows 10) update that caused your hard drive to stop working?

Erm, of course, I can't be sure. I downloaded the update, and pressed Reboot when prompted to do so.

It rebooted, had a progress screen. Until arnd 70% I think, then it rebooted, and stated "reverting to previous windows version" or smth similar.

Then it rebooted again. As usual,the manufacturer, in my case, Asus' logo appeared. But then it shows the msg "3rd master hard disk error".

So... Yeah :p

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure the hard drive is not working. However, it does not even try to spin or make noise. The problem is probably the SATA cable not providing power to the hard drive.

This is very unlikely. I would try what BataBole suggested. I would go one step further and suggest trying a reinstall of any Windows version other than the 10 preview at this point.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

When HDD is not working properly or any internal part of computer, PC starts to beep beep. Your system installation has failed, so please start a new one!

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
When HDD is not working properly or any internal part of computer, PC starts to beep beep. Your system installation has failed, so please start a new one!

Beeps are very inconsistent across different makes and models. My brother's laptop got a dead HDD and there was no beep whatsoever.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The Windows preview doesn't have a glitch that eats your hard drive or anything like that. Installing a new operating system is taxing on your hard drive, so if your drive already weak, the install could have put it over the edge.

IT Figure

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes my WD 500 GB Hard Drive died as well after i upgraded to Windows 10. I used the option under Windows 10 Upgrade tool to download .iso file. After the .iso was downloaded I right clicked for properties to see the size of the file, this is when my hard drive crashed. Now hard drive won't boot and I can't format the Hard Drive, but Hard Drive is being detected by BIOS. This fairly new drive, strange.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster