Known Issues With Surface Pro 3 and Windows 10 Technical Preview

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
After upgrading to the Technical Preview on a Surface Pro 3 last night, I'd like to make a thread of known issues (and fixes)...some of these may be across the board issues as well but wanted to list the quirks I have

Screen Flashes After Initial Login after Upgrade - The fix for me was a reboot. I think others had to do some other steps.

Fan Runs A Lot - The fan on my core i7 runs a lot more than it did on 8.1. Might be a deal breaker for me right now but will be patient.

Docking Station - Doesn't automatically switch to the docking station sound device. Doesn't do the continuum (Do you want to switch to desktop mode) when docking.

Start Screen Problems - Crashes a lot when moving tiles around. Pinning a OneNote note opens the note and then crashes the start screen and then unpins that note.

The Loss Of IE11 (Touch) - Can no longer pin websites to the start screen. Perhaps returns in Spartan?

Minimized Modern Apps When Launched - When in desktop mode, a handful of modern apps will open minimized to taskbar and you have to maximize.

OneDrive - Yes, I knew OneDrive would be more like the Windows 7 version and I do want my placeholders. I am just a little shocked there is no MODERN OneDrive though. I have to use the website it seems. Office, though, works fine.

I'm in this for the long haul since we are promised improvements and a direct upgrade to the RTM 10 when it is released. Unless I find some show stoppers, I'll make do as it improves.

Chuck Foltz

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
After upgrading to the Technical Preview on a Surface Pro 3 last night, I'd like to make a thread of known issues (and fixes)...some of these may be across the board issues as well but wanted to list the quirks I have

Screen Flashes After Initial Login after Upgrade - The fix for me was a reboot. I think others had to do some other steps.

Fan Runs A Lot - The fan on my core i7 runs a lot more than it did on 8.1. Might be a deal breaker for me right now but will be patient.

Docking Station - Doesn't automatically switch to the docking station sound device. Doesn't do the continuum (Do you want to switch to desktop mode) when docking.

Start Screen Problems - Crashes a lot when moving tiles around. Pinning a OneNote note opens the note and then crashes the start screen and then unpins that note.

The Loss Of IE11 (Touch) - Can no longer pin websites to the start screen. Perhaps returns in Spartan?

Minimized Modern Apps When Launched - When in desktop mode, a handful of modern apps will open minimized to taskbar and you have to maximize.

OneDrive - Yes, I knew OneDrive would be more like the Windows 7 version and I do want my placeholders. I am just a little shocked there is no MODERN OneDrive though. I have to use the website it seems. Office, though, works fine.

I'm in this for the long haul since we are promised improvements and a direct upgrade to the RTM 10 when it is released. Unless I find some show stoppers, I'll make do as it improves.

Continum does work it just needs updated drivers for other devices to trigger it. The SP3 keyboard should trigger it to prompt you.

My fan is as quiet as before. If i hear it kick on i load task manager and see whats using CPU. Usually like beta store jumps the cpu up for some reason.

Start screen works perfect. Do you have the correct driver installed? Seems like its not from some of the issue.

Im not sure what the One drive issue is as i dont use it that much. I can see some old pictures i had on my one drive in windows though?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Continum does work it just needs updated drivers for other devices to trigger it. The SP3 keyboard should trigger it to prompt you.

My fan is as quiet as before. If i hear it kick on i load task manager and see whats using CPU. Usually like beta store jumps the cpu up for some reason.

Start screen works perfect. Do you have the correct driver installed? Seems like its not from some of the issue.

Im not sure what the One drive issue is as i dont use it that much. I can see some old pictures i had on my one drive in windows though?

Correct driver for the video? I have the one updated in January...

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
You have to hit the button twice before the touch keyboard will appear.

If you move the keyboard, switching to numeric mode pops it back to the original location.

The right third of the screen sometimes stays rotated and inaccessible after rotating back to landscape.

Too many IE issues to count including stuff off the right edge and inaccessible no matter what you do, and random crashes.

Still cannot update 'mail calendar and people' and 'reader' apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99