Windows 10 new apps are oversized for desktop users

Tyler Swindell

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I installed the new 9926 on 2 computers and both monitors, all the new apps like the Settings app just look like they were designed for a super high resolution touch screen (Surface Pro 3).

I don't know why ever since Windows 8, they made the UI look so big now but I'm not liking it. 1080p monitors are still the norm. With a lot of laptop screens still at 1366x768. I don't see why anyone would not roll back after upgrading seeing the whole new UI oversized on their monitors, they aren't going to go out and buy a new monitor or get a tablet to replace their desktops.

Look at the universal Settings app for example. They just redesigned it, and it looks just as oversized as the Windows 8.1 Settings app. The sidebar menu items are too large. I can fit almost 3 mouse pointers in a straight vertical line in those menu item boxes. Compare that to File Explorer with the Quick access menu items, the boxes only fit a mouse pointer, as soon as you move the pointer down it overlaps the next item practically.

A lot of these apps the text is cut off on sidebars unless you maximize the windows or full-screen them. It's just upsetting we went from Segoe UI size 9 to like size 11 or 12. UI elements should never take that much space, and spacing between them shouldn't be like that either.

I understand this is great for tablet users, and it still might be better being bigger. But Continuum needs to take care of this. When you change themes on legacy Windows, it said "Please wait" and this is what Continuum needs to start doing. More heavy lifting. It needs to fade the screen out and say "Please wait" while it tells all the apps to redraw their UIs to be for tablets, and to configure Windows system apps like explorer to do this too. Then fade back in with a tablet-friendly UI.

And if you don't have need tablet mode or Continuum, it should still work behind the scenes to default you to a decent size. It shouldn't have any tablet optimizations, universal apps should look like what WPF apps could've been with Longhorn, beautifully designed and animated applications. But with how big they are...I'd rather stay on a release of Windows where the context menus aren't huge, and the drop down menus aren't made for fat fingers.

Don't get me wrong, I love Windows and Microsoft, and I sent this as feedback using the app, but I wanted to discuss this to see if anyone else thinks the UI is a little over the top made for tablets. Because the newly redesigned apps still don't do better with screen space.

John Schneider3

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Scrolling in Metro sure changed...
I've a Lenovo X230 table & it is a rocket although my camera is ghost with Win 7 & 8 & still with 10.

I put Windows 10 on it just after the release date, & can't seem to get Metro to scroll sideways. Why is Metro only a vertical scroll? Is there a backdoor way to get scrolling on Metro to go side to side & still up/down within an app? 8.1 + worked great that way, you could set up projects and fill them in with the key folder & documents, like a file drawer used to do.

Horizontal scrolling is an intuitive, built in, hereditary, unnoticed thing, especially for the omnivores who hunted the plains of some god forsaken place. Windows 8.1 and Netflix have it, Amazon Prime too. Whatever possessed Microsoft to get the vertical version in Windows 10? Or is it a glitch in my particular setup? Is someone trying to recode the species? Can it be put back? If it is Microsoft, them that do could consider that they saved Microsoft from doing an Apple. What's the point of 10 if it doesn't get task management more freedom (consolidate information & speed up delivery for instance)?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes