Shall I install Windows 10 Technical Preview on My Windows 8.1 Update 1 PC?

Manoj Daran

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
The title says it all. Now, my laptop is running Win 8.1 update 1 [Upgraded from Win 7]. My question is that, if I update it to Win 10 Tech Prev, whose license extends upto Oct this year, what happens next? Should I need to purchase after that? Or do I need to wait for the Public release and update it for free [that too free for one year, I believe]? Help me out ppl.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Not 100% sure what you're asking. However, once Windows 10 is officially released, you have one year after that date (if you want to do it for free) to update your current 7 or 8.1 machines.

As far as should "you" install it, that's up to you. It'll work.

Matthew Hypolite

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 wont be free for just 1 year, it will be free for the lifetime of the product. But you have 1 year to update to it for free. Once you perform that initial upgrade within the first year, you own the product and all subsequent updates for the lifetime of the product.

As far as im aware, Windows 10 Final will be release some time in September.

And I've heard upgrading from preview releases to final will work.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If it is your main PC , I will not do it as something's will probably not working right. And in the past, there are multiple times that preview os can't be direct updated to final release. So, there is a chance you may have to reinstall everything. Also, there is no way back if you decide you don't like the preview. You will have to reinstall original os.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss