Could a dual boot be possible in the existing Lumia for Windows 10?

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Could dual boot be possible in existing lumia for windows 10.

Now that windows 10 preview will launch sometime in February, i know it would be buggy but if there could be a way to run both windows 10 and wp8.1.
Noted it would take extra space still if this could be made as an option.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Could dual boot be possible in existing lumia for windows 10.

Like dkp said I think this is going to be highly unlikely, but time will tell.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
No, for that option you have to tinker with the bootloader. And the one on the Lumia is quite secure that it can't be tinkered with. That's one of the reasons that there are no customs roms for these phones.
Beside of that you need two secure partitions instead of one so you need twice as much space for the os alone. And don't forget the applications...they need also a double install one on each o.s. So next to the boot loader you also need a lot of free space.

Next to that you have to create multiple partitions and there are no tools to make that happen.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I think if you have a Samsung phone, it might be possible, but count any non-Samsung phone out.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

I think if you have a Samsung phone, it might be possible, but count any non-Samsung phone out.

No, you still need two secure partitions and two normal partitions and there is no way to create those partitions.
You also need a option menu of where you can choose witch os you want to boot. Al this would take to many workspace ( if it was possible ), just check for your self how much just one os takes on space on your phone.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

No, you still need two secure partitions and two normal partitions and there is no way to create those partitions.
You also need a option menu of where you can choose witch os you want to boot. Al this would take to many workspace ( if it was possible ), just check for your self how much just one os takes on space on your phone.

Out of all of the technical problems, storage would be the least of them. If it were possible to create the other partitions, I see no reason why an Ativ S Neo with 16GB of storage can't hold all of that.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

For a normal user is it undoable, but there where some oems who where thinking about it to dualboot between wp and android.
16 gig should be sufficient to let it run, but there will not be much left over for apps.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

I share your beliefs, but that will not happen so long as google, ios, bb and ms keeping competing each other and dual boot with the same os hm not likely.
But i like your enthusiasm :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo