Win 10 in Tablet mode is horrible

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ugg this is so disappointing

Why have a Desktop AND Tablet mode when Tablet mode is pretty much throwing out anything good about Win 8.1 for tablets and sticking the taskbar at the bottom taking up screen space?

And Yes I've tried the auto hide option on the taskbar and it is very glitchy, it pops up at random times, stays visible to long, the taskbar is not ideal for thumb touching and does not work well for this purpose.

The issue with win 8.1 was not the touch control and Touch Gui, the issue was making them default for desktops. Now they are pretty much forcing the desktop on tablets and making it much less touch friendly than Win 8.1.

It is crazy MS thinks this is a good idea.

Their was very little wrong with Win 8.1 gui for tablets WHY do they need to throw that all away for a glorified Desktop GUI?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Why not tell MS and be a voice of change instead of complaint?

Also, it's a technical preview. No one said this is final.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have told them, I put my feedback in on the feedback app posted on the insider forums and also bugged a few execs on twitter about it.

That does not mean I can't also discuss it in forums like this with other users.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have told them, I put my feedback in on the feedback app posted on the insider forums and also bugged a few execs on twitter about it.

That does not mean I can't also discuss it in forums like this with other users.

I didn't say anything was wrong with discussion it wasn't written as such though. Nothing wrong with pointing out issues or poor design.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with some of what you said, OP. From the last build, I don't see how Windows 10 could provide a good tablet user experience. However, surely they know better than us, maybe the next build will make more sense.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The issue is I've pinged some of the devs on twitter and this is what they actually intend.

They intend for the taskbar to be visible at all times on tablets as a replacement for the charm bar. The basic outline of how Win 10 currently works on a tablet is what they actually intend to release. I used Win 7 on a tablet for awhile and Win 8.1 worked much better on tablets. Win 10 feels very much like Win 7 did on a tablet.

This is pretty crazy, they are really throwing the baby out with the bath water here. Instead of disabling touch functions and making the Desktop mode more Desktop centric they are making Tablet mode more like Desktop mode and throwing out all the good Touch GUI things about win 8.1

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The issue is I've pinged some of the devs on twitter and this is what they actually intend.

They intend for the taskbar to be visible at all times on tablets as a replacement for the charm bar. The basic outline of how Win 10 currently works on a tablet is what they actually intend to release. I used Win 7 on a tablet for awhile and Win 8.1 worked much better on tablets. Win 10 feels very much like Win 7 did on a tablet.

This is pretty crazy, they are really throwing the baby out with the bath water here. Instead of disabling touch functions and making the Desktop mode more Desktop centric they are making Tablet mode more like Desktop mode and throwing out all the good Touch GUI things about win 8.1

Makes me wonder how the f*ck anyone besides Microsoft themselves pretends to know how Windows 10 is going to be like on release. The purpose of this entire preview program is for Microsoft to find out if things are working the way they imagined them to work or not. The massive feedback they're collecting will show them that the current way is actually NOT gonna work on tablets.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
One of the Win 10 devs says they get lots of requests for an always on task bar after I questioned WTF the task bar was on even in tablet mode

Gabriel Aul ‏@GabeAul 21h21 hours ago

@Silaslang Thanks. Let's see how people upvote. We get lots of requests for always on taskbar, even on small tabs. Threading the needle...
0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites

Here is his reply asking more more options in the GUI to taylor it more towards touch

Gabriel Aul ‏@GabeAul 21h21 hours ago

@Silaslang Balancing act is always hard. More customization options means code grows and gets more complex to test. We're working on it.
Collapse 0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites

Here is Mary Jo Foley responding to me basically saying Win 8 is scrapped deal with Desktop OS

Mary Jo Foley ‏@maryjofoley 22h22 hours ago

@Silaslang It's the biz users they really need to win over. They don't want charms, other nonintuitive pieces of 8

Here is Joe Belifore re iterating that the always on taskbar is the intent

joebelfiore @joebelfiore ? 16h 16 hours ago

@benstoic yep, we intend taskbar to be present in tablet mode. Thats quick access to start menu (4 pcs w no HW button), + Cortana, taskview
View conversation
0 replies 11 retweets 16 favorites

It is quite disturbing that they think the Desktop is suitable for tablets. They may have considered Win 8 a flop but Win 7 tablets were even more of a flop.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree, it's freaking horrendous. They better step it up quick, because right now, W10 takes the worst of the last three versions, not the best. Gone is any sort of form AND function, and leaves a hacked feeling.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Personally I'm waiting for the final release before spouting utter rubbish and moaning like a child. Other than that I'll just provide feedback on the build.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes it is best to wait until the code is final and they can't change anything in order to express opinions on how the OS is shaping up. Sounds like a good plan,

I think this is the reason they even have a public Beta, to get feedback I've left feedback in the proper places and pinged MS employee's about it. I also chose to discuss these issues with other users in appropriate forums like this Win 10 forum.

Not sure what this issue is where people are not wanting others to discuss their opinions on the OS?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is best to wait until the code is final and they can't change anything in order to express opinions on how the OS is shaping up. Sounds like a good plan,

I think this is the reason they even have a public Beta, to get feedback I've left feedback in the proper places and pinged MS employee's about it. I also chose to discuss these issues with other users in appropriate forums like this Win 10 forum.

Not sure what this issue is where people are not wanting others to discuss their opinions on the OS?

Discussing opinions, likes and dislikes is perfectly fine. As long as feedback has been given to Microsoft. Because if not, people can complain as much as they want, it won't change a thing. And there's of course a major difference between saying "I don't particularly like this and that, and wouldn't it be better if...." and "Microsoft is doomed, Windows 10 will fail...". Which is nothing you did of course, but you'll find many of posts like these among these - and any other - forums.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Discussion is fine. Feedback, to MS by way of the feedback App, is also fine. Moaning and crying like MS has some how betrayed you and killed your favorite pet is not. Often times people come here and complain as if this is the final build and there's nothing they can do but cry.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So who is doing that? I've left the appropriate feedback to MS and am now discussing my issues with other users in hopes that maybe a solution is found, maybe I'm not doing something right etc. maybe their is a reg hack to bring some options back etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb