How do I set connection as metered in Win10TP?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
My connection to the internet is tethered through my phone. I'm now getting updates directly in the background without my knowledge and I would rather it be set as a metered connection so that I can wait until I get on normal WiFi or broadband connection to download them instead of using my monthly data allotment.

This isn't as simple as it was in 8.1. As a matter of fact, I can't figure out how to get it done. Has anyone been able to do this?

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
For this I would run gpedit.msc and edit the windows update settings to alert but don't download. Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
Configure Automatic updates and set to Enabled and 2 for notify for download and notify for install.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
While that might seem ideal, there is no gpedit.msc on the computer. I ran a full file search with no results.

EDIT: No, wait. Search finally found a couple of results, but can't get it to run, even when trying to run it as administrator. It says something about not being the right version for my version of Windows.

Last edited:

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
if that isn't present for some reason, you can load it through the mmc snapin group policy.
hit <winkey+r> mmc <enter>
under file, add remove snap-ins select group policy object and leave it at local computer. Hit finish.
you can then edit the policy the same as listed above. when you exit mmc you will have an option to save.
at this time you can save it as gpedit.msc to make it easier to get back to if you so desire.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I used thetering yesterday, and the OS automatically detected that it was a metered connection.

Problem is, the phone is tethered to a bridge, which is plugged into the LAN port of our router, so that we can be on the home network, access other laptops in the group wirelessly, access the Printer on the network, and access the internet at the same time. I need to be able to configure Win10 so that it thinks the "broadband router" is metered.

@David: I'm not home right now, but will attempt that when I get back home.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I also found this to work on my wifi connections but can't test it on my phone since we do not have a tethering plan.
go to settings, network & internet and then show available connections. a charms window will pull out with network connections.
Connect to the device you want to meter first and then you should be able to right click on that same connection and have the option to set it as a metered connection. Unfortunately they do not allow metering on ethernet which would help people with data caps on their land lines.

sjaak327

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Problem is, the phone is tethered to a bridge, which is plugged into the LAN port of our router, so that we can be on the home network, access other laptops in the group wirelessly, access the Printer on the network, and access the internet at the same time. I need to be able to configure Win10 so that it thinks the "broadband router" is metered.

@David: I'm not home right now, but will attempt that when I get back home.

Right, it wouldn't surprise me if you can set it with netsh or powershell, and I guess a GUI approach would come later.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Was unable to get the gpedit to work.

However, I was able to test "metered" by directly tethering instead of tethering to the router. Learned something shocking.

The only difference a metered connection seems to have made is that I get a notification to "Exit" OneDrive to save bandwidth. OneDrive does not automatically stop syncing like on Windows 8.1. It cannot be configured to stop on Windows 10. You have to manually exit.

As far as Updates go, the computer installed 2 updates without asking while on the metered connection. ?!?

I certainly hope Microsoft has plans of implementing this properly before final release. I know they said Windows 10 machines would require Internet access, but to use up a person's metered data allotment against their will is just plain ludicrous. Yes, I am providing this as feedback, but thought others should be wary of this, as you may be on the road, use your precious cell phone data to tether, and end up downloading several hundred megabytes of updates unwittingly.

This is just about enough to force me to go back to 8.1. I am loving 10 otherwise, and am enjoying giving constructive feedback to Microsoft. I'm just not sure my data plan can afford the constant forced updates, since my data plan is the only Internet I have while at home. Something I'll have to consider over the next few days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99