The infamous Resuming screen, any chance Windows 10 for phone gonna fix that?

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: The infamous "Resuming" screen, any chance windows 10 for "phone" gonna fix that

just tested my 925, it has no resuming screens on it at all, minus the music app

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: The infamous "Resuming" screen, any chance windows 10 for "phone" gonna fix that

Even the Start Screen resumes! This is one of the annoying problems I'm facing with my 920.

You say it's lack of optimization? How long have we had 8.1 that till this moment, the apps or OS is yet to be optimized? I may not know how these things work, but optimization for the Screen also?

Well, W10 is around the corner, albeit preview form (though I don't think I'll install it on my 920 immediately) we can only wait and then see how far.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Is everyone seeing this on WP81? If so, my guess is that it's due to most of the apps now being "fast resume" (and maybe a bug in the OS), which means they take up memory even in the background (i.e. suspended). Once memory is full, WP81 starts kicking suspended apps out as new apps are loaded. In that case, the "resuming" screen is really a "restarting app" screen.

Compare the time it takes to start a fresh instance of an app to the "resuming" time. If they're similar, that's probably what's happening. I don't know why these crappy phone OSes don't have a virtual memory system so that they can swap to disk (which is basically an SSD) when necessary. Maybe the crappy ARM CPUs don't have VM support?

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

Where did you hear that (besides here)?

Umm... It's kind of obvious:

1. In every single WP device review on the web.
2. When you use a low-end Android and a low-end Lumia side-by-side
3. When you compare benchmarks and you see the 930 and 1520 rate higher than even newer Android devices. Of course benchmarks don't always reflect real-world performance, but it's a standard comparison.
4. Android was kind of a jerky, laggy mess outside of Nexus devices before Project Butter and Svelte made things better (not to mention, now, ART), and I can say this from owning high-end Android devices until 2013 when I switched to Lumia. When Android was laggy on 4.1, WP7 was slaying on half the hardware power.

Come on. :/

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

From what I've seen, since 8.1 WP sucks in low end hardware.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Optimization for what? Apps or the OS?

Mostly OS, and this in return will apps too.. If LongListSelector in WP8 has issues then every app using LongListSelector will have issues. This inheritance can extend all the way to the lowest level parts of the OS.
Microsoft has confirmed multiple times that they are neglecting the S4 platform that the 820/920/1020/etc were built on.

There are no S4 devices being manufactured in the future so it would be safe to assume that W10 was targeted for the newer Snapdragon SoCs. Qualcomm has solutions that Microsoft uses too, that are extended/removed/etc.

E.g this would be impractical to implement on a Lumia 1020:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaS0kpozyMM#t=20

As features are being added and enhanced it is easy to create two divergent development paths, similar to Lumia Camera and Classic...

W10 was built on top of WP8.1 so it is safe to assume that S4 devices are compatible with core OS functionality.

Ultimately: If WP8.1 app compatbility is a concern, older Lumias are a good candidate for Loading/Resuming screens. Not saying that the 1020 is slower than the 830, because it is definitely not, however it is reasonable to assume that Microsoft will not be doubling down development for a platform that is no longer in production.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

From what I've seen, since 8.1 WP sucks in low end hardware.

From what I've seen, its not as great and lagfree as many make it out to be. It's smooth for the most part, but applies loading screens liberally to mask it. My sister's 521 on 8.1 runs tolerably, and probably beats other models in its price grade.

but it still handles much better than I've seen CyanogenMod do on better specs in general. But I think Android really varies depending on skin (where Samsung's TouchWiz seems to weigh down even the highest performance phones) and configuration. An unofficial CM11 (KitKat) build on this GS II I have ran laggily. (especially typing)
I threw on an unofficial, early CM12 build and it was night and day. Performs nowhere near as well as my relatively similarly spec'ed 920 handles, but I could probably live with it - keep in mind Android probably has more overhead from widgets and less-restricted background apps. (compare to Lumia 820)

I've seen Jellybean handle surprisingly well on 384 MB RAM and an 800 MHz ARMv6 single-core once. (unofficial ported CM10 ROM) For basic use though.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Would have to say that the $35 Galaxy Light beats the $35 Lumia 530 hands down ;-)

USA / T-Mobile pricing

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Is everyone seeing this on WP81? If so, my guess is that it's due to most of the apps now being "fast resume" (and maybe a bug in the OS), which means they take up memory even in the background (i.e. suspended). Once memory is full, WP81 starts kicking suspended apps out as new apps are loaded. In that case, the "resuming" screen is really a "restarting app" screen.

Compare the time it takes to start a fresh instance of an app to the "resuming" time. If they're similar, that's probably what's happening. I don't know why these crappy phone OSes don't have a virtual memory system so that they can swap to disk (which is basically an SSD) when necessary. Maybe the crappy ARM CPUs don't have VM support?

I'm trying to understand you but can you apply this reason to the Start Screen that also resumes?

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to understand you but can you apply this reason to the Start Screen that also resumes?
I don't know enough about the innards of the OS itself to say yes or no on that one. The Start Screen/Shell is obviously a program ... but is it treated as just another "app" as well in 8.1? Maybe.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

No, because it was fantastic on 8.0. The minute I switched to 8.1 it completely bogged down. So bad that when I scroll on my Start Screen, the tiles will all be blank and take a couple seconds to load up. I've tried removing a bunch of tiles, removing folders, all kinds of things. Even did a reset.

It seems to be hit or miss with some people, so I think there is some bug that only happens with a certain set of factors. Either way it's embarrassing and uncharacteristic of Windows Phone.

One simple solution (or maybe not): Hard reset.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

Or am I the only one facing this on my 1020

Nope you're not. I get it all the time. Even the home screen lags; when hitting the Start button, all the tiles are blank and have to get re-drawn each time.
It's no exaggeration to say that my Lumia 1020 is as bogged down as my old Samsung Galaxy S3 ever was.
Resuming screens for nearly every system app, never mind third party applications.

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

Having Cortana pinned to the start screen can cause lag/resuming. This is a known issue.
Having a live lockscreen app can also slow down your start screen as it reallocates the resources it was using

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Having Cortana pinned to the start screen can cause lag/resuming. This is a known issue.
Having a live lockscreen app can also slow down your start screen as it reallocates the resources it was using

I have neither Cortana nor a live lock screen, yet my Start screen takes 2-3 seconds to redraw almost each time. I even get the Resuming screen when doing something as simple as tapping on Photos and going into the gallery.

And yes, I've also checked out a Lumia 830, at an AT&T carrier store. I remember briefly navigating around the UI, on the floor model, and seeing 'Resuming....." a couple of times. Not exactly a great first impression for a prospective buyer.

WP 8.1 most definitely has bugs that have yet to be fixed, and I doubt they will ever be, given Microsoft's focus on Windows 10 now.

I wouldn't doubt if W10 is a laggy horror show on older devices like the 520/820/920/1020/925

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I have no resuming on start screen with 925. When I updated to cyan I flashed phone.
I get very brief "loading" and "resuming" screens while using Skype, WhatsApp, and Flipboard.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The faster animations in 8.1 can't hide the deficiencies of the OS haha.
Android and iOS are far more mature in this respect.

Wonder how W10 will stack, especially for older (though still fast) S4 devices

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro