Please tell me the "Windows Phone" App is going away

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I lost my phone and had to reload some music today, which reminded me how awful the Windows Phone app really is. Besides being slow and inefficient there are subtle flaws that really lead me to believe this was rushed in at the eleventh hour of w8 development (i.e. no tooltip for music files so depending on how the file is named you can't even tell what song it is).

This app really serves no purpose at this point. You're either going to use Xbox Music or just cut and paste through File Explorer. I don't remember hearing anything about media management during the 1/21 event but I was in and out so I'm not sure if this was addressed. Someone please tell me they talked about their plans for improved media management. I'll refrain from talking about Xbox Music because we've already heard it all and frankly it's an engineering marvel compared to that Windows Phone app. Even the NAME was bland and unimaginative.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the contribution.

Its just that these kinds of post are torturous as all get out to read. You have the tools, you are in an environment where some of the most talented, techno geeks run all through the place from all parts of the world and you have a need. But rather than use the tools and create a solution that works from asking questions, picking all the brains in this forum alone, you just post blame like its personal against you. You lost your phone and you have to start all over. Dude, you are not the only one to have to begin again. Just do it. You don't have much choice anyway. Don't turn into one of those Verge divots. Just find what solutions their are and recover.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I wish they would go back to a full media player/manager that can sync to the phone like the Zune. For a while, I was using Windows Media Player to sync with my Lumia 920, but with a collection of almost 5,000 songs, it would sometimes take hours to scan the music library on the phone before I could even start adding new music.

I finally started using the Windows Phone app for the desktop environment as it allows music to be synched by Artist, Album or Genre. I don't like the "modern" version of the Windows Phone app as it offers even less functionality. Using File Explorer to copy/paste isn't hard, but it does take longer to pick and choose what I want to sync. The Windows Phone for Desktop has worked the best for me out of the currently available synching options.

Last edited:

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
As much as I would love a return to more Zune-like syncing software, I don' think its going to happen. With Xbox music, video, and onedrive, they want everyone to have everything in the cloud, and then there is no need to sync. I disagree with this approach, because for me, data on my phone is not always readily available, nor is it unlimited, so I really prefer to have a hand selected local music library and the current syncing software is absolute garbage. I don' think anyone can argue that this isn't the future, but for me, it isn't the best option currently

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Its just that these kinds of post are torturous as all get out to read. You have the tools, you are in an environment where some of the most talented, techno geeks run all through the place from all parts of the world and you have a need. But rather than use the tools and create a solution that works from asking questions, picking all the brains in this forum alone, you just post blame like its personal against you. You lost your phone and you have to start all over. Dude, you are not the only one to have to begin again. Just do it. You don't have much choice anyway. Don't turn into one of those Verge divots. Just find what solutions their are and recover.

What are you even talking about. Losing my phone has nothing to do with anything. The Windows Phone app is subpar and I went into the reason why it's subpar. To say that one shouldn't give one's opinion on a forum is misusing the forum just as badly as the people you claim to be tired of. If you think the app was great, fine. Move along. I, along with scores of others, saw an app that looks as if it was thrown together at the last minute and should probably just be scrapped altogether in the next version.

Saying things like "oh just use something else" or "stop complaining" is making YOU just as bad as one of those "verge people" you claim you hate. The point of the forum is to give your opinion, not "just use something else". If everyone just used something else there would be no forum. If you don't like reading other people's opinion then I'm not sure why you post on public opinion forums.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What are you even talking about. Losing my phone has nothing to do with anything. The Windows Phone app is subpar and I went into the reason why it's subpar. To say that one shouldn't give one's opinion on a forum is misusing the forum just as badly as the people you claim to be tired of. If you think the app was great, fine. Move along. I, along with scores of others, saw an app that looks as if it was thrown together at the last minute and should probably just be scrapped altogether in the next version.

Saying things like "oh just use something else" or "stop complaining" is making YOU just as bad as one of those "verge people" you claim you hate. The point of the forum is to give your opinion, not "just use something else". If everyone just used something else there would be no forum. If you don't like reading other people's opinion then I'm not sure why you post on public opinion forums.

The difference between myself and the Verge is I am on your side. They could care less than a wad of snot about your phone. If I hurt your feelings or offended you, it wasn't my intent. My intent is to get you to a solution.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The difference between myself and the Verge is I am on your side. They could care less than a wad of snot about your phone. If I hurt your feelings or offended you, it wasn't my intent. My intent is to get you to a solution.
I'm not offended, it's cool. Just felt like I was being attacked for expressing my opinion.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not offended, it's cool. Just felt like I was being attacked for expressing my opinion.

When you begin with "I lost my phone and had to reload some music today, which reminded me how awful the Windows Phone app really is" you open the door to this kind of response. You were THE VERGE at that point. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6