How to remove Technical Preview update?

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
First off, I tried the TP and didn't like it at all on my SP3. Rolled back just fine, 8.1 humming along as if it never happened.

Now 9.8 gigs of my space is still being occupied by the update. I can't find a way to remove it.

Tried going into control panel, uninstall programs/updates but the 9926 update isn't there for removal/uninstallation.

Is this update destined to stay on my computer forever?

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1gkxg0ivgpuvyff/Screenshot (8).png?dl=0

sarim_xyz

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I think you can safely delete the update file from "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" (Just locate the update folder there and delete it, you can identify it by the size). That's where the Windows stores downloaded updates. Other than that, I believe you can try Disk Cleanup, which cleans any temporary files and also installation files. Hope this works.

muitosabao

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi can you tell me how you rolled back? Im trying to roll back because I think windows 10 for the time being is pretty disastrous on the SP3, but I'm stuck.
When I go to the roll back menu and then use a device? I tried creating a USB installation device Before you install Windows 10 Technical Preview - Microsoft Windows but i start the process and then I am asked for my serial number (Which i don't have since i don't thin k we get one with the surface?), but in any case this doesn't seem to be the right way to do it? Can you let me know how you did it? I also tried advanced options without any success...
This makes my surface almost useless since I used it a lot as tablet, and heard so many people raving windows 10 so i decided to give it a go, but honestly, i dunno what direction they are taking but right now in my opinion is a disaster on tablets. No IE, taskbar always there, a complete UI mess (some apps can be maximized, others can't) tiles are gone from my start (maybe a bug), charms search disappeared, onedrive is a mess now etc etc

Thanks in advance for your help

20150205_214049689_iOS.jpg

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
First off, I tried the TP and didn't like it at all on my SP3. Rolled back just fine, 8.1 humming along as if it never happened.

Now 9.8 gigs of my space is still being occupied by the update. I can't find a way to remove it.

Tried going into control panel, uninstall programs/updates but the 9926 update isn't there for removal/uninstallation.

Is this update destined to stay on my computer forever?

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1gkxg0ivgpuvyff/Screenshot (8).png?dl=0

If you go to This PC > open C: drive > you will see Windows.old > delete that and it wil give you back loads of disk space.
Some will suggest using the built-in disk cleanup app. It takes a few clicks to do that and it takes forever.
I use Ccleaner for its simplicity and effectiveness.
How to run Ccleaner ......
Left side of Ccleaner, under System heading, check the box " Old Windows Installation" > right side click Analyze > when finished, it tells you how many GB of disk sace can be removed > click Run Cleaner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon