For the first time in WP history, I'm not wanting the update

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
WP is an inferior product that is being destroyed by its competitors. Microsoft is losing a lot of money, they need to make big changes.

Design has always being a weakness in WP, the UI is ugly and boring, the location of the elements is awkward. All the products that used the "Microsoft Design" (aka. Metro, Modern) have failed: Zune, WP and Windows 8.
Take, for example, the core apps of WP: Phone, Messaging, Email and Calendar. How do you sell a product with those ugly and boring Apps? All monochrome, almost depressing, hard to read, and worse with all the commands at the bottom where nobody expects them. If you've been using Android or iOS and somebody gives you a WP, you just throw it into the trash can.

The changes that Microsoft is introducing in Windows 10 are pretty good, a big improvement that could help to save WP. With the current trajectory WP will be dead in a few quarters.

I've been with WP since 2011, and am jumping ship to an iphone this spring, but wow, you couldn't be more way off if you tried.

The UI is what drew me (and pretty much everyone else) to it. It was fluid, clean, simple yet functional. No one expects commands at the bottom? Why? I had wm and dumb phones before this, so I had zero expectations. When I got my first windows phone, I didn't have to learn how to use it, I just sorta guessed, and the designers did such a good job that I already "knew" how to use it. It was a second-nature design.

The changes they're making are not good, they're splitting from their vision, and business 101 tells me that as soon as you splinter off and lose focus, your business crashes. I agree that windows phone is dead, but you couldn't be more wrong if you tried about the UI/functionality.

-edit-

Let me also say when I pick up my wife's GS3, it's a bloated confusing mess. Launchers everywhere, multiple app drawers that do the same thing, the menus make no sense, there's no cohesion at all to it. She'll ask me to do something technical with it, and it'll take me 10 minutes of hunting and pecking strange menus and nonsensical "advanced options" before I find it. I am absolutely befuddled as to how android is so popular.

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
WP is an inferior product that is being destroyed by its competitors. Microsoft is losing a lot of money, they need to make big changes.

Design has always being a weakness in WP, the UI is ugly and boring, the location of the elements is awkward. All the products that used the "Microsoft Design" (aka. Metro, Modern) have failed: Zune, WP and Windows 8.
Take, for example, the core apps of WP: Phone, Messaging, Email and Calendar. How do you sell a product with those ugly and boring Apps? All monochrome, almost depressing, hard to read, and worse with all the commands at the bottom where nobody expects them. If you've been using Android or iOS and somebody gives you a WP, you just throw it into the trash can.

The changes that Microsoft is introducing in Windows 10 are pretty good, a big improvement that could help to save WP. With the current trajectory WP will be dead in a few quarters.

You seem to be very knowledgeable about the subject matter and we'd like to know your sources and references, such as on your remark about "losing a lot of money".

My L1020 has just died (freaking "Unable to find bootable option" error), and my parents almost convinced me into moving to a strong aluminum-cased bending phablet "competitor". It was indeed tempting, especially since they didn't seem to be bothered by errors such as that... and considering that my sister, parents, grandparents, girlfriend, girlfriend's siblings, and most colleagues have all bought into that fruit-based "competitor". But one thing stopped me - the user experience.

I've held the aluminum bend-proof "competitor" product in my hands; yes, it's slim, drop proof, a bit too large but still ergonomically designed, sleek, and a weapon in the wrong hands... but the interface was all off; and I've seen it everyday. It was as if "the competitor" was forcing the customers to want what "they" want rather than building the system around what the customers say they want. This is where Microsoft differs. The customer service for WP (in my country at least) may not be the best, but the customization options Windows Phones have are simply unmatched.

By the way, if someone gave you a WP and you just throw it away, that's plainly rude and arrogant.

Now back to brucexli's OP: this may be a good time to provide Microsoft with your feedback about the matter. But in my opinion, the reason MS placed the in-app search icon of OneDrive on the top right could be that users are used to finding the search button in the upper right corner of the screen (webpages, browsers, software and programs... the search icon is at the upper right corner.) Also, it's a bit redundant to see the search icon right beside the similarly-shaped Cortana-launching icon in the navigation bar.

Ek-Balam

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree with TIZIANO27, but I would contend that "awkward" is a kind way of stating ergonomically backward. xandros9 kindly provided the link to the Pocketnow article (link above) that perfectly illustrates the ergonomic "awkwardness" of these UI decisions (particularly in larger screen devices). I believe this issue will be particularly acute for those users that are "one handed".

If MS insists and persists on these changes in Win 10 for phone, I believe that the only was they may be able to at least somewhat mitigate this awkwardness is to fully support landscape view everywhere, including the start screen. Since this change almost forces the user to interface with their device "two handed", the reach would then be minimized...... Anybody have a clue as to the extent landscape support for Win 10 phone?

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a simple question. how do you open the action center? By swiping down with your 2nd hand. Yes you can do it with one hand but there are may dangers with that (dropping your phone l, pressing wrong things)

So what's the problem? Now you just have to use both your hands.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree with TIZIANO27, but I would contend that "awkward" is a kind way of stating ergonomically backward. xandros9 kindly provided the link to the Pocketnow article (link above) that perfectly illustrates the ergonomic "awkwardness" of these UI decisions (particularly in larger screen devices). I believe this issue will be particularly acute for those users that are "one handed".
From what you wrote, I think that you actually totally disagree with him. Tiziano27 is arguing that the placement of controls in WP7 and WP8 is what's awkward and that the placement in Windows 10 is what's expected. He is in favor of the UI change that Microsoft has shown in the previews.

Last edited:

Ek-Balam

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Wow! I re-read for context again and you are correct. My apologies to the forum for the confusion. However, I still assert that universal landscape support may give some mitigation to the change. For the record, I am against the change.

portalfocus

May 11, 2013
Visit site
-edit-

Let me also say when I pick up my wife's GS3, it's a bloated confusing mess. Launchers everywhere, multiple app drawers that do the same thing, the menus make no sense, there's no cohesion at all to it. She'll ask me to do something technical with it, and it'll take me 10 minutes of hunting and pecking strange menus and nonsensical "advanced options" before I find it. I am absolutely befuddled as to how android is so popular.

Because it became a social trend. In this society having a 'cool phone' that everyone else have also makes you 'cool'. fortunately social trends change, and that's why OS's are supposed to change or otherwise people will get tired of it and it will stop being a trend, just a IPhone popularity started and the IPod

Don't get me wrong, Android and IOS devices are well built and well develop platform, but they haven't been that way since day one. It takes time you want it or not, such as Windows 10 is a big jump from previous Windows Os versions

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site

B**** please! Windows phone's metro UI is sexy! Its the only thing which made me crave for a WP. Its unique and stylish. I love the monochromatic apps. I love the simplicity. Its what makes wp different! You and the people who liked your post should go back and use their ugly mainstream android and ios.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

I guess Tiziano uses his phone upside down there...
My thumb is always nearer to the bottom than anywhere else on the screen. All commands in the bottom is a genius UX design.

I guess Tiziano is also one of the most vocal guy in the uservoice site that wants Microsoft to implement "the hamburger"

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a simple question. how do you open the action center? By swiping down with your 2nd hand. Yes you can do it with one hand but there are may dangers with that (dropping your phone l, pressing wrong things)

So what's the problem? Now you just have to use both your hands.

You're telling me you've never been in a situation where your other hand was otherwise occupied?

It's a problem because it makes the thing harder to use. Phones have gotten bigger, which is a problem in itself (although it is nice) but it means smarter things to make it easier to use are needed. Well, OK fine, not needed, but its a nice to have.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh and the precision track thingy on the keyboard! That must be something.

I am SO looking forward to that- I don't really know what 10 is going to add besides poor UI changes, flac support and the keyboard joystick.

But selecting text on 8.1 is AWFUL, no other OS sucks so much at it. Actually now that I think of it this joystick probably only solves half the problem: Cursor placement not text selection... Ah well. Still can't wait to have it.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I am SO looking forward to that- I don't really know what 10 is going to add besides poor UI changes, flac support and the keyboard joystick.

But selecting text on 8.1 is AWFUL, no other OS sucks so much at it. Actually now that I think of it this joystick probably only solves half the problem: Cursor placement not text selection... Ah well. Still can't wait to have it.

​if that can replace mouse hover menus on internet explorer!?!? i would be the happiest man lol

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I guess Tiziano uses his phone upside down there...
My thumb is always nearer to the bottom than anywhere else on the screen. All commands in the bottom is a genius UX design.

I guess Tiziano is also one of the most vocal guy in the uservoice site that wants Microsoft to implement "the hamburger"

If he wants a humburger that much why don't he just grab a Samsung Galaxy whatever and head to MacDonalds?? :D

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Because it became a social trend. In this society having a 'cool phone' that everyone else have also makes you 'cool'. fortunately social trends change, and that's why OS's are supposed to change or otherwise people will get tired of it and it will stop being a trend, just a IPhone popularity started and the IPod

Don't get me wrong, Android and IOS devices are well built and well develop platform, but they haven't been that way since day one. It takes time you want it or not, such as Windows 10 is a big jump from previous Windows Os versions

Cool? So being a carbon copy of everyone else is now 'cool' is it? It always used to be that standing out from the crowd, being different and setting trends was cool. Still is in the UK. The US is getting increasingly hard to understand.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Cool? So being a carbon copy of everyone else is now 'cool' is it? It always used to be that standing out from the crowd, being different and setting trends was cool. Still is in the UK. The US is getting increasingly hard to understand.

That is the reason I bought a Windows Phone. The time I bought my 920, no one actually had a WP where I lived. That made me cool because I stood out from the croud full of Android and iOS. And all people appreciated the OS. I agree, at first it was hard for them to understand, but once I told them about the basics (well just for 10 minutes, I remember), they were all familiar with the OS.

When WP7 launched, I thought it was pretty but didn't buy one because of the sheer amount of features it lacked and ignored WP8 also fearing the same. But WP8 was very much of improvement, and one day I saw an annonymous person with a Lumia 710, a WP7, and I just could see a glimpse of the dialer and I was amazed how cool and clean and beautiful it looked compared to the Xperia that was in my hands, or a Galaxy in my friend's hand or an iPhone in another friend's. The screenshots on the screen of my PC of WP looked pretty, but seeing them on a real phone, that was a different story. I instantly fell in love with the UI, the OS, and the next day I bought Lumia 920. After I bought the phone and discoverd the other aspects of the UI, my love only increased!

It's like a heartbreak to see that UI being ripped off. It's like my girlfriend is having a plastic surgery and now she will look like a girl I hate the most after the surgery. Will I hate my girlfriend after the surgery? No!! But will I be upset because of that? A huge yes!!!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs