start button, notification panel and cannot type anything in cortana field

Shawn Anderson7

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter > wait a bit until you see this ..... PS C:\Windows\system32>

At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this.........

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

When finished, try Search and Cortana again.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter > wait a bit until you see this ..... PS C:\Windows\system32>

At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this.........

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

When finished, try Search and Cortana again.

Doesn't work for everyone :)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
THis is a pretty old thread lol in any case, the best solution for now, is to create a new user account (control panel or settings) with admin privileges. remove your ms account from the user account that isn't responding (settings) and add it to the new one..

Before removing the ms account, be wise to log into the new user account you created and check if the start menu is responding

Usman Parvez

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
I reinstalled everything and 3 days later the problem reappeared. Any new solutions out there.

Press Win + R (to open Run )
copy paste and press enter to run this program. "C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe". it brings back the language bar and for me it allowed me to type in windows search, start menu and WINDOWS 10 apps again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6