Tablet Mode Notification

millermk

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't know how many out there have the Windows 10 preview on tablets, but I (perhaps foolishly?) have been running the preview on my main computer (Surface Pro 3) since the first build. I really like the tablet mode which debuted in the last build. However, I'm a little irked by the notifications which ask if you want to enter or exit tablet mode. Anyone else with the preview on a tablet wish you could choose to always switch (i.e. every time the notification would come up just automatically switch instead?). I click the notification a good 96% of the time so it would be much easier to manually override it in action center once in a while as needed.

​On a somewhat related note, tablet mode notifications shouldn't go to action center, they stack up and you can't click them in there anyway so there's really no point. And the truth is if you're in action center the toggle is already there anyway.

​What do you guys think about it (especially any fellow tablet owners).

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
It annoys me as well on my Surface Pro 3. Though I'm on the other side of the spectrum, most times it asks I don't want to. I usually have my SP3 keyboard cover on and everytime i get up and move it asks to go into tablet mode. The keyboard is still attached. No, I don't want tablet mode.

Obviously, they just want feedback as to if you wanted tablet mode or not based on the factors happening. As I really hope those notifications won't be cropping up in the final version.

millermk

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried, but if you turn off tablet mode in settings does it disable it entirely (i.e. You can't turn it on even from action center)?

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I believe it's just same as switching it on/off in the Action Center. IIRC it's either switched on or off based on what the setting currently is. I believe the Tablet Mode icon in the Action Center is essentially a shortcut to that setting. Though I don't have any Win10 devices here with me at the moment.

millermk

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yep, you're right. I hope you're right about the notifications being removed as well, but somehow I doubt it, or at least I'd imagine they will be optionally present.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm running windows 10 preview on a surface pro 1. The tablet mode notification is a nuisance and appears multiple times. It makes up 90% of the notifications and can quickly run up to 10-20 notifications per 30 minutes. I have not found a pattern, but it mostly happens when I switch between landscape and portrait mode or switch between desktop and start menu with live tiles mode, and taking off the type cover. The contuinity function with notification reminder is not turning out a positive experience in the 9926 version. I've been switching a lot between desktop and tablet mode, simply because I regularly need to access the app command (previously called the app bar). This also plays haywire with the tablet mode notifications.

​I have currently not needed to use the function of the notification center. Being used to windows 8.1 on my surface pro for over 2 years now, it's hard to let go of the familiar charmsbar. I notice that I find myself swiping a lot from the right edge of the screen, expecting the charms to come, only to find a somewhat bigger bar with notifications that I don't even glance at. The quicksettings toggles are somewhat useful, but I never use the VPN, locations, rotation lock, or connect toggles. The settings icon is not an icon and strange it is made like one. display should still be a slider. Automatic doesn't work for me. On the surface pro it's still to bright in the dark. I want to lower it even more. For me there are also notifications on the live tiles. The experience leaves me in a bit of a shock. It's windows 7 like, especially with the ever present taskbar at the bottom, even in tablet mode(!!!). But the apps do remind me of windows 8. But the OS on the whole behaves more like windows 7 to me than windows 8. The only thing that stands out which is different is the new settings menu and the hidden windows 7ish bar with the hamburger menu up left, which is just a swipe down away in most apps.

Last edited:

millermk

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably more satisfied with it than you are but I certainly agree on a few of those points. Brightness is a huge step backward, if they don't fix that I will be hugely disappointed. I usually leave my surface on all night so I turn the brightness up and down every day. And the best way to do it is now control panel? The notification center is mostly good for me, it would use some polish but on the concept I don't disagree with it. The charms (although I did like them) are probably better gone. The reason I say this is that they created an inconsistent developer experience. On Windows 8 developers had to tie into the system for search and settings while on windows phone they had to make their own implementation. So as part of the converged platform I think it makes sense to get rid of them. Remember that the easier it is to make universal apps tun everywhere the more apps we will get. The part of charms I will miss is the old settings, it provided good access to wifi and brightness as well as shutdown. I find shutdown is the most common thing I try to bring up the charms for, forgetting that they no longer exist.

clechner77

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Brightness......... FN + DEL and FN + BACKSPACE

By far the easiest way to adjust it. I'm not a keybind ***** by any means but this is one I know and use all the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon