Surface Pen won't work on TP (SP3)

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Since I installed the latest technical preview on my Surface Pro 3, the pen will not write or even register no matter what I've done. That includes checking for new updates, firmware, and trying to re-pair. It says that it's not connected. I can take a screen shot and open OneNote which is weird, but just can't write.

Has anyone else encountered this or have a fix?

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
That's a good point. I've not tried the pen on my SP2 since the latest TP went on.
Probably a driver issue.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's a good point. I've not tried the pen on my SP2 since the latest TP went on.
Probably a driver issue.

I was sort of thinking that myself. However, checking the drivers and all that, it says that they're fine. Maybe it's a misreading? Who knows. I hope someone has an answer! Really annoying not being able to use the pen!!!!!

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I haven't solved my issue, but I've been doing some research. It's not a Bluetooth issue. The pen itself can function without Bluetooth. The only thing that requires Bluetooth is the ability to open OneNote/take a screenshot (top button), and that works fine.

Maybe it could be just that the AAAA battery died on me? That would definitely be an easy fix, but the odds that the battery died RIGHT when I updated to the Windows 10 JTP would be pretty slim.

I've been trying to look around to see if I can find any drivers for the Surface Pen without any real luck. Does anyone have any links?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Another update...just uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it through the firmware update in Windows Update and still nothing. So it appears that there is no hope for me after all unless the AAAA battery died on me

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
have you tried looking at pen settings in the settings menu. Otherwise have a go at calibrating your pen for the screen perhaps? And have you tried toggling on tablet mode?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
have you tried looking at pen settings in the settings menu. Otherwise have a go at calibrating your pen for the screen perhaps? And have you tried toggling on tablet mode?

I've tried all of the settings there are. As far as calibrating goes, that doesn't do anything because the pen doesn't even function at all. Also doesn't make a difference whether it's in tablet mode or desktop mode. Weird stuff, and I'm surprised I haven't found anyone having my issues anywhere.

hethler

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened with me. I bought a new pen for my Surface Pro 3 as the my original pen died (pen's tip got broke). I also bought a pack of AAAA battery just to make sure I have enough stock.

So, I successfully paired the pen, but it won't write/right click/erase at all. Works fine with OneNote (the top button) but it won't write at all. Paired/unpaired several times; the driver's updated too and did every possible thing to make it work (change of battery, etc) but no luck at all. Asked @surfacehelps too on Twitter but they can't seem to figure out what's the problem with my pen... Oh fudge...

Ryan R2

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I am also having this problem after switching to windows 10, I checked my battery and it's fine and the tablet itself is only a day old.

Eric Neil

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I had this exact same issue. The solution for me was to:

1) Remove he Surface Pen from Bluetooth devices
2) Navigate to "Device Manager">"Human Interface Devices"
3) Right click on "Surface Pen" and choose "Disable"
4) My pen magically started working again so I then "Enabled" it in the same location that I disabled it and then I reconnected it o Bluetooth.

geochief

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
This seems to be missing some steps. I tried what you have listed (not sure what you did exactly after the diable step to see that the pen was working) without success. Can you be more specific?:unhappysweat:

ahsim05

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
thank you so much fir your suggestion!
it worked perfectly for me and just like you said, "my pen magically started working again" :)

Thank you :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa