New PC and Windows 10 Technical Preview Questions

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Got a new home PC that is coming that will primarily be my media server (Plex) but it can also handle video editing and modern games.

I was thinking about installing the Windows 10 Technical Preview and beyond the idea it is a preview and may have bugs, I have a few questions:
  • Since they release "builds" via Windows Update, if I install TP now, it will eventually become the RTM version via update, right? I don't need to do a clean install when it goes RTM?
  • I heard it IS possible to load Windows Media Center via "add additional features" options but it in turn labels your version of Windows "Windows 8.1 with Media Center." That doesn't cause any problems, does it?
  • I assume currently, drivers for 8.1 work with 10 right? Any compatibility issues anyone know if?
  • And the one I may get the most opinion on: Should I just wait? This PC will not be a daily driver and mainly just sit there and serve my media. I doubt I'll get into any heavy video editing or gaming right away.

Thanks...

theolympusguy

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I asked the same question '•Since they release "builds" via Windows Update, if I install TP now, it will eventually become the RTM version via update, right? I don't need to do a clean install when it goes RTM?" and it was explained to me like this.

The version of windows 10 will go full once the preview is done. A lot of surface owners have also upgraded and they don't have a way to back to 8.1 easily.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I asked the same question '•Since they release "builds" via Windows Update, if I install TP now, it will eventually become the RTM version via update, right? I don't need to do a clean install when it goes RTM?" and it was explained to me like this.

The version of windows 10 will go full once the preview is done. A lot of surface owners have also upgraded and they don't have a way to back to 8.1 easily.

If I can digress...I lost my mind one night and upgraded my Surface Pro 3 to 10 TP...it had too many bugs, which could be because it was an "upgrade"...I was surprised to see I could roll back, so I did, did one more FULL clean and back to 8.1...guess I got lucky or the rollback was something they added...plus 10 made my SP3 run hot...I assume it was indexing but it seems like the fan never stopped...

And my questions above may be moot...Plex, from what I've heard, is unstable on 10...so, guess I'll wait...no biggie...just wondering since I will have a brand now PC to play with...

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Don't install windows 8 TP right now. I can tell you that in 9926 there are currently too many bugs, even on a surface pro. If you want peace of mind that all works well and comfortably error free, just wait till RTM. Perhaps then it would be a better moment with less risk of major issues and driver issues. It's a gamble now if things work well, with no guarantees.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Don't install windows 8 TP right now. I can tell you that in 9926 there are currently too many bugs, even on a surface pro.
Microsoft is quite clear that for build 9926 touch is very rough and early and also that you _must_ have the latest gfx drivers installed so there's you 'warning'. By itself WIN10 TP is currently perfectly stable and working for me. Maybe it is because I always do a fresh install as I believe that 'upgrading' in these cases is a bad idea in general.

I have been on W10 TP since it was first made available and have not had any serious issues at all. Only hickup was not being able to access public (anonymous) shares on my network but that was fixed by a reg entry quick enough..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss