Am I missing something?

Sin Ogaris

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I just installed W10 TP on my desktop (did have to ditch my programs, so have to go about reinstalling them all) and I have noticed that I can't left click the windows icon, only right click which brings up all the various options. Also when I click on "new notifications" it doesn't do anything.

Other than that, it kind of looks and feels exactly the same as desktop mode in Windows 8, or Windows 7 generally. I am really, really missing, a quick shortcut for search though like I have on my 8.1 tablet.

I did only just install it though, so there's still a ton of fiddling I need to do.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
make sure you install all updates, should be a few, cold restart the system. If you still have issues with the start menu not working there are some posts on the forum referring to a registry hack to get it going. Generally alot of these issues have been attributed to file corruption in the iso/ebd download.really need to check the file hash on the iso before installing on this. ie. the windows 10 technical preview (x64) iso hash should be 6A95316728299D95249A29FBEB9676DED23B8BEB

Really surprised they are actually still offering an x86 version of windows...

Sin Ogaris

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It's not about having a Microsoft account, I've had one for god knows how long. It's something I've never needed on my desktop before so it was rather surprising when I realised that I don't get a start menu without logging in with a Microsoft account.

I have since added my Microsoft account but I have yet to figure out how to make it the default, the system defaults to the administrator account instead, so I have to actually log out (by right clicking the start button) then log back in again with my Microsoft account to then be able to use the PC. The options available in the user accounts settings page are incredibly bare bones and offer no means of changing this, there isn't even an option in there for setting whether to choose an account on start up or not. I also cannot delete the original administrator account from my Microsoft account, even though I have now made it an administrator account as well. It is incredibly bizarre and I have made sure to mention it to Microsoft through the preview as I can see it being an issue for people coming from windows 7 to 10 if it doesn't get rectified (I dunno, maybe tell people to create/log in with a Microsoft account in the installation).

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I didn't realize Start Menu would not show up if not logged in with a MS account.

For people needing to find desktop programs on that start menu, MS has made a serious error there. There are many tinfoil hat types out there that just won't like it. I can understand not being able to use the store, but you really need to have some sort of "desktop only" start menu. Crazy.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Can we maybe verify thi sclaim before having an opinion ready? When setting up my Linx7 tablet I needed to set up a local account first as I needed new WLAN drivers.

Start Menu was there just fine. That notifications would not work makes sense if correct as well as obviously store access. So whatever happened in this case it is not related to a limitation by MSFT. I also just set up a local test account on my PC and could access the start menu just fine.

What happened here is simply the known issue with the 'plain' 9926 build which required the well documented first update to fix.. Some here really need to think before opening their mouth.

Sin Ogaris

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so my next question (because it turns out I am on 9926) is where do I get an updated build? Windows update tells me I am up to date and I can't find anything on the windows insider page.

I feel completely daft right now and I shouldn't.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
There is not an "updated build", but instead Windows Update within build 9926 will download and install an update that fixes the issue. As long as you make sure you are connected to the internet and leave the computer on while unattended for a while, Windows will download and install it automatically, seeing as how you can't disable the updating in 9926. Of course, whether or not it is available to you NOW may depend also on whether or not you are signed up for the FAST track or the SLOW track.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I didn't realize Start Menu would not show up if not logged in with a MS account.

For people needing to find desktop programs on that start menu, MS has made a serious error there. There are many tinfoil hat types out there that just won't like it. I can understand not being able to use the store, but you really need to have some sort of "desktop only" start menu. Crazy.

The people who will complain about that are the kind of people that got mad when their job forced them to upgrade from Windows XP last year. They own flip phones and complain about the heat in July.

Sin Ogaris

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Or, you know, for people who want to access anything. No start menu and no start screen means no access to programs other than going through windows explorer (which isn't exactly something your average Joe is going to know anything about). Oh and my TP still hasn't downloaded a fix for it. Apparently its out there somewhere though because people have it.

tofnow

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so my next question (because it turns out I am on 9926) is where do I get an updated build? Windows update tells me I am up to date and I can't find anything on the windows insider page.

I feel completely daft right now and I shouldn't.

I had a similar experience with the x86 build on a laptop. I had an account but that was not the problem. The problem showed to be a corrupt Chinese language file in the iso. I formatted the drive, downloaded another x86 version of the iso, installed and all is good. So indeed you might consider doing that also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss