Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Yup that sums it up ..pivots have always been better for one handed use

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I like the new menu system. I never liked the pivots, as they felt awkward.

I have very short fingers and a broad hand, so while I can hold a phone with one hand, I am unable to operate it with one hand. This even goes for using the Lumia 520, which I had for while before selling it to RumoredNow. I've always had to do 2 handed operation, which is fine with me. I'm efficient with it. I go from using my touchscreen laptop to my phone, and with these menus I am getting a better experience across both.

I know not everyone agrees. People want to do it with one hand because they are holding or doing something else with their other hand. Some people want to do it with only one hand so they can drive with the other. That I discourage heavily. When I need one or two hands free, I will use my Bluetooth headset to issue commands to Cortana for what I want done. In most cases, it's that easy. Now with full dictation everywhere you can use a keyboard in Windows 10, I don't even need to use the keyboard, or at least use it very little. Accessing the hamburger menu items is not something I do a lot. In most cases, for casual use, it isn't even necessary.

If I'm doing something more than just casual use, I'm going to be using 2 hands anyway, because it's just faster.

Besides, my carpel tunnel thanks me for using 2 hands instead of one, because using only one hand aggravates my carpel tunnel, and can lead to carpel tunnel syndrome in those that don't have it. If you've been typing and/or gaming heavily for 30+ years on various devices and you haven't gotten carpel tunnel syndrome then you are one of the lucky ones.

I'm not saying everyone should do it the way I do. It has taken me 6 months to determine that I am going to be using a device with 2 hands, no matter what size device. Because I have finally figured this out, I can now finally safely say that a larger device will suit me, whereas before I wanted to keep to a smaller size so I could use it with one hand, because everyone said that is what you're supposed to do. Well, I can't even with a small device, so why should I have to be like everyone else? If you can, great. If you can't, then perhaps you need to consider not conforming to how everyone else does it, and find a way that is more comfortable for you.

There will always be an app that you will have to reach to the top for, even without hamburger menus. If you refuse to use those apps, fine, but if it is one you really need, like your bank's app, and you don't have another choice, then you will just get used to it.

Does having to use 2 hands break up what you are doing? It depends on what you are doing. If I'm holding my 2 year old, I have to put her down in order to use the phone. That's not really cool if I need to do something on the phone while I'm trying to get her to sleep, so I understand where people are coming from.

I think moving the menu to the bottom would be a good compromise. I have to use 2 hands to swipe back and forth, because I can't reach all the way left-to-right with either hand. I would rather have the menu button on the bottom, and allow me to set a configuration option to put it either on the left or right side.

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I think moving the menu to the bottom would be a good compromise. I have to use 2 hands to swipe back and forth, because I can't reach all the way left-to-right with either hand. I would rather have the menu button on the bottom, and allow me to set a configuration option to put it either on the left or right side.

I agree about moving the hamburger to the bottom, but with some changes too.

Swiping in the pivots does not require to go from edge to edge with your finger,I barely touch the screen like one cm, even less sometimes.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If anyone has seen the Belfiore video where he shows the upcoming Outlook app, you'll see why pivots likely won't come back. It uses left and right swipes to archive or flag emails. If this is the system they are going with, it makes it hard to pivot. An example of this would be the Metromail app currently in store. Download that if you want to try pivoting with the upcoming Outlook app before it comes out.

I personally don't see why flicking emails to the right or left is better than hitting a simple button. Especially since it means taking away the pivoting through sections.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
How is it faster than tapping a button? Tapping a button is instantaneous.

You can argue then that tapping the screen to switch sections is the same. The difference is the section menu is all the way at the top, making it more difficult to use one handed. You can also scroll vertically to bring messages to your thumb. You can't scroll to bring down the section headers.

Instead, you have to reach the top of the screen to get to unread mail, important mail, etc.

Italo Souza

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Man, the pivots are too old (2011) and we need a change on it(and due to Windows Universal apps)! We can have easy geastures like the pivot on a hamburguer menu just sent a feedback to 'em! It's better than go back on 2011 ;)

bschiav

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
That's exactly how I have to re-adjust my hand awkwardly to use the new controls. I've tried to describe that in other posts, it's definitely easier to see in a video.

I noticed this from MWC...are pivots really gone? Or is MS just confused?

From WindowsCentral live blog, looks like pivots to me...and burger...so how and when will they be used exactly?

t's blocked by the podium...but it appears that this app does not have any ellipsis...so in this example, the hamburger was a one for one swap with the ellipsis. The pivot is used only to filter "content".

But there's no similar such use of the control in updated apps on the current build...The next build will be interesting.

76092a1c-68ec-4908-9c50-403472549a33.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo