[Experimental] Install W10 on ANY phone running 8.1

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Apparently the next preview build won't be until next month, so I guess we've got more waiting to do for stability and more supported devices.

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
925 updated and working fine so far. I used the Chinese method, subscribed to 'Fast' and rebooted. After that there was no sign of the update in the Insider app, but instead it was downloaded via the standard phone update mechanism.
After all was installed and migrated, the Start screen looked exactly like the 8.1 version. It was only after I changed the background image that the Start screen changed to the new one.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
People should make some videos of it running on the 1520/930/Icon and the older higher end dual core 920/925/928/1020 devices.

Im sure many would appreciate it.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Say that to my 521 in download mode. I wasn't even putting 10 on it, it shut itself off while flashing with WPRT.

​Actually I downloaded 8.1 packages with Nokia Care Suite and then flashed with WPRT and it gave me a BSOD on my computer (unexpected kernel mode trap) and got my phone stuck in download mode as well. All I did was use LRT and click the unresponsive device button to flash it properly.

Jessy Tremblay

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
ok I continue the saga with my 930 :
I tried to reset back to windows 10 clean without backup to try the start screen. I found with some test that the lag is there anyway. It's not a problem with the backup I think, but the phone. I don't have other "problem" than that (I'm not able to install another language text suggestion, but I think it's just a little bug for the moment) , so I think I will use this build anyway.

Nicholas Lovan

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
​Actually I downloaded 8.1 packages with Nokia Care Suite and then flashed with WPRT and it gave me a BSOD on my computer (unexpected kernel mode trap) and got my phone stuck in download mode as well. All I did was use LRT and click the unresponsive device button to flash it properly.

I downloaded and flashed with WPRT, and the phone rebooted shortly after starting to flash, and it ended up permanently in download mode.

Last edited:

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded and flashed with WPRT, and the phone rebooted shortly after starting to flash, and it ended up permanently in download mode.

​Have you tried downloading the Lumia Recovery Tool to fix it? I don't think WPRT supports devices that won't boot/are stuck in download mode, at least not yet. Lumia Software Recovery Tool is just a rebranded version of the Nokia Software Recovery Tool and has the same functions.

Nicholas Lovan

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
​Have you tried downloading the Lumia Recovery Tool to fix it? I don't think WPRT supports devices that won't boot/are stuck in download mode, at least not yet. Lumia Software Recovery Tool is just a rebranded version of the Nokia Software Recovery Tool and has the same functions.

I have all 3/4 tools, and I'm going to reinstall NCS because it's been a while since I used it and its acting a little flaky. I'm also going to see if it can download the bootloader...again all I was doing was a regular flash, probably should have used LSRT, though...

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
​Wow Cortana takes 10 times as long to start on his 520 as it does on my 1520. Even on 8.1 the difference wasn't that big, hopefully they get the performance issues sorted sooner rather than later.

Yeah, 10 is a bit slower. The 520 is a terribly slow device anyways. I gave mine to my Mom. Its painful at times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb