[Experimental] Install W10 on ANY phone running 8.1

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Successfully updated my Lumia 720 to W10 TP and changed Phone OEM model name to original but in My Windows Insider App, Branch is now "FBL_AWESOME1501" earlier it was "WPB_CXE_R1" .

any issue with that.??

I'm pretty sure that's just the build of the update. I've seen windows updates come through for windows 10 on PC named the same thing without the number at the end though. My phone also says this and I have a 1520

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
If you try the Chinese method, how do you reset your registry to say you have your real device (not HK 635) again?

Im just curious if I attempt it on my 1020 but I don't have enough space. How can I get back to normal to make sure I get carrier updates.

I don't want to bother with NCS and wipe my phone to make space if I don't have enough right now.

Jessy Tremblay

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If you try the Chinese method, how do you reset your registry to say you have your real device (not HK 635) again?

Im just curious if I attempt it on my 1020 but I don't have enough space. How can I get back to normal to make sure I get carrier updates.

I don't want to bother with NCS and wipe my phone to make space if I don't have enough right now.
you hard reset the phone ...

Mihai Spinean

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Any of you have problems with battery drain in Windows 10?
I have fully charged my phone in the evening and in the morning battery is at 35%, i guess i will roll back to 8.1...

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
There is an easier way to change the phone model info back to the original, but it requires editing the xml and using the fiddler method. The guy who made the xml included an example of an ATT 1520 but you could edit the string to match whatever yours is. I wonder how long until MS closes the security hole that's made apparent by this app that can insert random stuff into the registry.

rAj06

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I tried this on my 1020 few days back and after installation started, it gave me an error code after 5-10 minutes and rebooted. Tried twice and faced same issue. Ended up formatting the phone as some game files got corrupted.

I gave up and tried again today. After I set the proxy and tap to search for builds, it kept saying, no builds available.

And now, if I tap Get preview builds, the application just closes!

Any idea on what's happening?

Madhan N

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I am using it for past 2 days in my Lumia 820 and so far no major issues.. Very Minor UI issues and doesn't not affect the usability.. Battery and all the apps perform as usual.. Hope I get the next update and I have not reset the phone model to original OEM

Turanga06

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I installed it on my Lumia 1020 using the chinese method (cnwp10.chinacloudapp:7777 - or so), without any problem. I spent around 6-7 hours jaja I spent 1 day playing around with W10 and now I'm back to 8.1.1.
My access point stopped working with W10 and nothing seemed to work for fixing it, too many lags and things that still are in development. I'm not complaining because I know that this is a preview, not even a beta.
What I recommend? If your phone is your daily use one, don't install it now. Maybe wait until new builds come to light.

Personnally, I'm not in love with the new start screen. It would be nice if MSFT leave it as an option. Actionable notifications are nice, need some estetical work though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo