anon(5789608)

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
IMG_0101-e1421895995887-980x1705.jpg

composemail.jpg

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
We do agree that users in general don't care about security. So why does it matter if Windows (PC) and Android aren't as secure? I work in IT, and customers occasionally come in with PCs that have the FBI virus or the NSA virus or Cryptolocker. Too many of them have given credit card data or have lost their data to encryption. It sounds to me like an excellent reason to ditch all Windows PC and go Mac or Linux.

Sounds different now, doesn't it? :wink:

Nope. Sounds exactly the same to me. :wink:

I'm a fan of the technical concepts and foundation on which Windows Phone was built. Technically, I consider WP the best consumer OS ever made. The same can't be said for any of MS other OSes.

So, who cares about security vulnerabilities? Like you said, nobody, until they get "hurt". Suffering can drive people away, but a promise of security won't lure anybody in. That's just how humans work.

If viable smartphone alternatives exist, enough suffering will eventually lead to shifts in market share.

So, I agree. Currently it doesn't matter. It would only matter in some regions, and even then only if WP or iOS represented viable alternatives. Currently they do not. We're making the same point, with a few differences around the edges. Nothing major.

Anyway, I agree, let's get back on topic.

Last edited:

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Couple of things:
  1. The heatmap is just one a friend gave me. I actually use either hand when holding my smart phone, it just so happened that the one I was sent fit a right hand usage model.
  2. I don't think every smart phone OS should be 100% navigable with one hand/thumb. But I do think most standard functions should be able to be executed as such. I agree the photos app isn't critical, but it does represent a new design direction for Microsoft, so I think it is important to talk about this now before other apps are completely nailed down in design.
  3. I'm all for change, but only when it's for the better. In this case it feels more like change for the sake of change to be more like Android. I don't like Android. I don't think it's very user friendly, and I think people continue using it despite the arrangement of the UI, not because of it. The difference in UI is what made WP catch my eye in the first place.
  4. I don't think convenient UI design is catering to a "3%" of WP users. I've assisted my sister in setting up her iPhone 6. I've noted that a great portion of the apps on it have bottom-half UI elements (even the OneDrive app for iOS has its controls mostly near the bottom of the screen). It's doable, and accepted.
  5. I can think of a few reasonable one handed usage case scenarios (replying to text/searching directions/answering call/ while holding child/pet/hands full, using a device/tool/cooking with one hand while looking at directions with the other).
  6. I think voice control has come a long way, and really has made things a lot more simple. Hey Cortana is fantastic and will improve one/no handed operability a LOT. That said, there are still a lot of commands that aren't accessible via voice.
  7. I'm not against MS updating things. I gave the new XB Music/Video apps the benefit of the doubt when they were first release and they really grew into a pair of great apps (some more work could still be done, but for the most part I'm happy).
  8. I'm not crapping on Windows 10 mobile because it's different. I am really quite excited for Windows 10. The new features we've seen thus far are cool, and make it feel like the OS is becoming generally more powerful. I'm just concerned the changes they're making to UI are, to loosely quote, throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
  9. The title was just me being cheeky.

I had other things to say, but they escape me right now.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The people defending the hamburger think they are so smart with their ten paragraph responses... But the truth is what they say doesn't makes sense or is really stupid, there's lots and lots of situation when one hand is inevitable occupied... "stop eating, drinking, holding bags, holding books, holding your kids"

Are you even for real?... I really wish you are just trolling...

It's about habits really... I'm in the habit of using my phone with two hands. Always have been. I've adapted my grip to different devices and situations with those devices. I'm in the habit of not jumping on each ringtone or alert tone the moment it starts. I prioritize my life. I'm not in the habit of a Pavlovian response of instant answer to an electronic summons. It's my habit to wait for a pause in whatever else I may be doing before checking that alert or looking at who is calling/has just called. (Gestures Beta, BTW is too cool for that - NOT EVEN A THUMB TOUCH NEEDED to see/answer/silence as you want and I LOVE that... I'm NOT anti-convenience.)

Yes... There are times when an alert is super-important, a call must be taken or placed or some other function accomplished right at that second and I may have one or both hands occupied. But due to my habits - the amount of instances where I feel compelled to operate my device with one digit or less is incredibly rare. I'm not constantly training myself on One Thumb use of the device so that my HABITS make everything else seem awkward and abnormal. And when those rare instances occur, I either adapt my physical method of use or force myself to prioritize, "this or the phone."

Is it seriously anyone's contention that one thumb in a static grip is more effective and productive than two hands working dynamically together? But productivity is cited as a root need for this very often. Here's the rub, the problem with the "One Thumb MUST reach everything rule." What those proponents are advocating implies that everything on the device is important - so important it must be easily reachable and can not wait. What they are also implying is that it is not so important that they will set down a briefcase to answer that need.

(The quote above mentions holding a kid. There's a brilliant example in favor of what I'M saying. Holding your kid is important. FAR more important than whatever is on your phone. Let the phone wait and comfort your kid or keep them safe by all means. Don't you dare try to answer a call from the President of the Galaxy with any amount of digits if it endangers your child in some way.)

I'm not necessarily "pro hamburger" and never mentioned it in my previous posts in this thread. I'm not against convenience and ergonomics. I'll use them. I am against mandating that everything work with a static grip and one thumb reach. I've got small hands and a 6" screen phone. I know what I signed up for. You adapt yourself to the device and situation. It's no different with ANY SIZED screen. Having a larger screen does not increase the number of times you are forced to use it with only one thumb from a static grip position.

You are insisting on a forced aesthetic with a less than 10% need to have scenario.

Don't get in the habit of using your phone with a static grip and one thumb and you won't find it "essential." It will revert to being the luxury it should be prioritized as.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The people defending the hamburger think they are so smart with their ten paragraph responses... But the truth is what they say doesn't makes sense or is really stupid, there's lots and lots of situation when one hand is inevitable occupied... "stop eating, drinking, holding bags, holding books, holding your kids"

Are you even for real?... I really wish you are just trolling...

Well, if you can make a render of how you'd want it, I could change my mind...

winth

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm a 17 years old student and it's a fact that I am using my phone in every day life with one hand. For example when I talk with my friends and I want to send a message to my mother to take me home I don't have to take two hands. With flow writing and 4.7' display I don't need it. If someone uses two hands for his smartphone to check facebook or to write a message he is definitely 30+ years old.
It's a fact that you should be able to use your phone with one hand, for browsing, calling, texting, etc.
We all know that the problem exists! We have to thing about a possibility to make it easy to use and to have a nice design. I do prefer a nicer design, but they should keep an eye on the usability. Especially calling and so on.

And when it's reading-I am freezing and I need someone to pick me up what shall I do-I need my umbrella and I need to call someone. It's obvious, why should we make every thing against usability, include both! So send this to Microsoft so they will rethink about it...

P.S. Have you ever heard of a person, who cheats in a school test with two hands reading his phone-it's too stupid! 😉

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Except to the enterprise buyers. One thing MS is making pretty clear is that they are making a big play to get enterprise buyers to embrace the Win10 ecosystem. If they can get the large buyers to buy Win10 pc's, tablets, and phones, hopefully the users will then start to use the phone/tablet in their private lives too.

GrandGerminator

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Why is it so hard for some people here to understand that's is just EASIER to user our phones with one thumb ?

I just don't get the way where using two hands is better, until we are in landscape mode for pictures shooting and viewing. (I'm not talking about 1520 and 1320 in this message)
The fact is that's easier using bottom icons and swiping to use it with one hand. And while using the phone one-handed it makes easier to do something else too.

I don't get the argument that we need to use two hands because what we doing usually while typing with one hand is not important. Is that means that we only have to do important things in our lives ? When eating pop-corn watching tv do I have to take my two hands to delete a mail ? Really guys, be smart and clever.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Where is my DENIM :winktongue:

Please Calm down people for all we know the OS is under development. I am sure things will get sorted out over a period of time

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I don't even get the arguement. Why pretend to fix the UI, if it ain't broke?
Metro is easy to use, beautiful and more funtional. Why ditch it?
Few days ago, when someone revealed, MS is starting the UI design from scratch and will leave Metro (I can't find the link of the article, but it was here on WindowsCentral, many of you would have read that), then people laughed at it, and said, is MS crazy, ditching the current UI and starting from scratch? Seems, that was true.
Sent from my Lumia 920!

Laurman

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I feel that need of the other hand is unnecessary. Back in time when we had buttons on mobile phones nobody used both hands for doing stuff in phone except texting and gaming.

Praxius, as far as I'm concerned 1320 didin't get W10p this time, so your wife is using old panorama styled apps (except Onedrive), which don't need so much of two hand action.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
This is the way a vast majority of consumers feel, and it is why Microsoft is going the direction they are going. They can't continue to cater to the 3-percenters out there. They have to do what they can to reach the other 97%.

This attitude, and the phrase "assuming right-hand use," are concerning to me as a left-hander. As phones continue to expand, the extra real estate can't possibly be fully accessible. It would be a mistake to forget that what seems like a "natural" swipe for a right-hander may not be for a leftie. Let's not create a new problem while solving the original one.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't even get the arguement. Why pretend to fix the UI, if it ain't broke?
Metro is easy to use, beautiful and more funtional. Why ditch it?

Because it's not selling well possibly?

The things that you guys love, varies wildly from what the general smartphone buying public is used to. Microsoft has the option of keeping you guys happy and staying at ultra low market share, or making WP friendly and familiar to the world, and increasing their numbers. You guys will get over it, you always do.

Marlon Bu

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Because it's not selling well possibly?

The things that you guys love, varies wildly from what the general smartphone buying public is used to. Microsoft has the option of keeping you guys happy and staying at ultra low market share, or making WP friendly and familiar to the world, and increasing their numbers. You guys will get over it, you always do.

To copy mistakes from other OSs will boost sales?

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
To copy mistakes from other OSs will boost sales?

Who is calling it a mistake?

*edit*

The hamburger is the universal visual cue for menu's and other functions. I've read a lot of "Microsoft is copying Android/iOS" sentiment the last few days, but it goes much further than those other 2 OS's.

yGhVzOc.jpg OPaNtrR.jpg

iSlwpIQ.jpg j2iuuzF.jpg

nDyMrDA.jpg uClsfap.jpg

And the link that was posted earlier, where the guy from Apple said hamburger menus were awful? There's more than a few Apple-made apps on my iPhone that have hamburger menus in them, including their app store.

PYsKTPQ.jpg

Last edited:

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Holy **** do you really have to press back a million times in wp10 when you dive in different sections of the photos app? Cycle all the way back? That's extremely horrible. Damn it, wp10 is getting a horrible user experience.

I ******* hate that hamburger.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Holy **** do you really have to press back a million times in wp10 when you dive in different sections of the photos app? Cycle all the way back? That's extremely horrible. Damn it, wp10 is getting a horrible user experience.

I ******* hate that hamburger.

I don't get what you're saying. You're upset the back button.... Takes you back?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't get what you're saying. You're upset the back button.... Takes you back?

I dont know firsthand, but maybe they're saying the app has to many "layers"?

Although I don't really think the hamburger presence and back button use are correlated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb