Experience using Windows 10 on your device

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
​Well the major reason they're allowing us to download it is to give feedback on the early bits. It wouldn't help if we all reverted instead of helping MS test and ultimately improve the things we believe need improving.

agreed ... people who have the extra phone to spare may keep giving feedbacks :)
but people with the only phone ... its not wise to install

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, as others have stated (and common sense should tell you) expect issues. :)

I installed the preview on my main phone, the 830, and have since rolled back to 8.1. I used if for about a day and a half...long enough to experience it and put in some feedback. On my phone, at least, the preview was unstable and the performance was sub-par with a few features I rely on(like Data Sense) not working. Again, not unexpected.

With this release, we get to see MS beginning to strip away the remaining bits of design, and experience, that were probably an attraction for most of us. I'm not thrilled about it, but it is what it is. As I said elsewhere, I'm with WP for reasons other than just the OS, so I'll live with it.

Bottom line, sure...install this on whatever phone you have and test it, but expect issues. And if you install it on your daily driver, chances are you'll be rolling back. :)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Pivot is pretty much dead in Windows 10. So unfortunately there's no swipe. You have to stretch to the top to click it and sometimes you have to precisely click on the icon for it to work.
Question: What do you call a "pivot" in Windows Phone? I've seen this posted several times and thought I would ask.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, as others have stated (and common sense should tell you) expect issues. :)

I installed the preview on my main phone, the 830, and have since rolled back to 8.1. I used if for about a day and a half...long enough to experience it and put in some feedback. On my phone, at least, the preview was unstable and the performance was sub-par with a few features I rely on(like Data Sense) not working. Again, not unexpected.

With this release, we get to see MS beginning to strip away the remaining bits of design, and experience, that were probably an attraction for most of us. I'm not thrilled about it, but it is what it is. As I said elsewhere, I'm with WP for reasons other than just the OS, so I'll live with it.

Bottom line, sure...install this on whatever phone you have and test it, but expect issues. And if you install it on your daily driver, chances are you'll be rolling back. :)

I have an 830 with W10 on it as well. I'm about 4 1/2 days in with it. Could you detail a little bit what you mean?

hisham691

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I installed it on my daily driver.. I see that it's better to download on the main phone because you can see more bugs and report them .. I gave alot of feedback since I downloaded it yesterday (using a 1320) .. I really like it actually and I find it smoother than 8.1 .. There had to be alot of bugs I know but I can see that it is promising.. If Microsoft keeps giving updates with new features windows 10 will be a great OS

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
that would be swipe right and left using with one hand

Ok, I think I need to find a video on youtube to see what this problem is. Swipe and Pivot didn't sound like the same thing when I asked the homey the question but you say it is.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My battery life definitely decreased with W10. Though not at all during standby, only when I'm actually using it.

The person you quoted said data sense isn't working, it's not working for me either. Drives me bonkers because that's my 5GB device with AT&T.
Probably a lot do to the volume of debug code sending data back to Redmond on how the preview is working. I don't know if you can determine when it can send that info back, wifi vs 4G/LTE but might be worth looking into. If you can't make it wifi only, you might need to bail on the Preview since its going to cost you to participate.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I think I need to find a video on youtube to see what this problem is. Swipe and Pivot didn't sound like the same thing when I asked the homey the question but you say it is.

that is my understanding...I might be wrong...tho

MS gives name to doing thing....like Continuum?????

Jabid21

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My experience using Windows 10 technical preview on my Lumia 830 has been average. There are a couple changes I liked and couple I didn't in no particular order.

1) Start menu+App list: New live tile sizes, translucent tiles for background. App list with recently installed on top.
2) Browser: It seems that the browser has improved in terms of rendering. That's all I'll say until project spartan replaces IE.
3) Settings menu: It dramatically improved navigation due to better organization, although I have my reservations about how un-Metro it looks.
4) Universal apps (the philosophy): I like that universal apps in Windows 10 is ever closer to write once and deploy on all form factors.
5) Keyboard: The best stock keyboard on any OS I've used has gotten even better with voice dictation (which has room for improvements) and a trackpad to move the cursor.
6) Action center+Actionable notifications: Need I say more, it improved by a lot, especially quick toggles.

Dislikes:
1) Hamburger Menu: This is the top of my list although I mentioned "in no particular order" before because this is what I'm hating most in the OS and wanted to highlight it. This menu is what is killing the Metro UI I've come to love since Windows Phone 7. It is unintuitive, ugly and not ergonomically sound at all. The panorama, pivot and ellipsis "..." menu were great for navigating through sections, menus and that layout what made Windows Phone very easy to use especially with one hand. This UI change is worse than removing all the hubs that I miss dearly since 8.1
2) Photo gallery app: I'm hoping for more improvements in the future, but I'm speaking for now; the photo gallery needs work in organizing photos not just by time, but by location, albums and source (Flickr, Onedrive, saved pictures, etc). Those are coming in a later update I guess. The gallery also needs to support double tap to zoom because it makes browsing photos easier with one hand. If not, they can teach me how to pinch-to-zoom using only one hand while that hand is holding the phone.
3) Universal apps (execution): This is also one of the biggest pet peeves of mine regarding Windows 10 on phones; and the hamburger menu plays a big part of that. The UX of the phone version of the apps is being worsened through the unification of the OS and apps in favor of improving UX on desktop and tablets. Microsoft's OS division has to realize that unifying apps and OS doesn't necessarily mean that apps have to look and work exactly the same on the phone as it does on desktops and tablets. The apps have come to look very un-Metro like because of that.
4) Performance: This is something I'm hoping will improve by the time the OS goes RTM so I'm not worried about this part too much. I've noticed the Start Menu stutters when scrolling and some apps also lag in loading.
5) Cortana: It seems that Cortana became just another universal app and is a little slower to launch. I hope this is improved by the time the OS goes RTM

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what you're after, here? Something clarified? :)

You had the preview on, according to you about a 1 and some change. You then said something about a crippled data sense then jumped into a review of its aesthetics. I was just trying to compare notes with what happened for you on your 830. I'm not yet seeing it on the one I have. So far what I see is it isn't smooth scrolling and the pictures hub is as Daniel Rubino wrote about but beyond that, it seems to function ok. Again, not challenging your assertions, just comparing notes. If the phone is your only one, I understand why you didn't want to stay longer than a day with it.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
You had the preview on, according to you about a 1 and some change. You then said something about a crippled data sense then jumped into a review of its aesthetics. I was just trying to compare notes with what happened for you on your 830. I'm not yet seeing it on the one I have. So far what I see is it isn't smooth scrolling and the pictures hub is as Daniel Rubino wrote about but beyond that, it seems to function ok. Again, not challenging your assertions, just comparing notes. If the phone is your only one, I understand why you didn't want to stay longer than a day with it.

My comments were just intended as a quick, high-level, view of my experience. Not an in-depth walk-through.

But, yeah, Data sense wasn't working for me (can't set limit/track usage). And the system just wasn't stable or smooth enough to be of daily use, at least for my preference. Others may get along better (even with the same phone as me), but for most I'd expect little benefit to putting this on a main phone with the intention to use it daily: It's just too early, with not enough new yet, as it's intended just as an early glimpse of what they're working on. If I had a spare phone, I'd certainly continue the testing.

And I expected all that.

I'm sure I'll have another look when things progress more and become more interesting.

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Only things I dislike about this build is the accent color screen when loading and when apps stop working when another one got updated.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
... Data sense wasn't working for me (can't set limit/track usage). And the system just wasn't stable or smooth enough to be of daily use, at least for my preference.

It will show how much used, but you can't set a limit to track the usage, or clear it, set the cycle, or anything. Yeah, I'm having to track my data usage using my carrier's app now. Not as efficient by any means. I'm making a lot of sacrifices previewing this. Can't trust the alarms still.

I've got an old flip phone with no SIM that I've pulled out, charged up, and am using it as a stop-gap to get some required basic features back until some things are fixed in 10. I'm carrying a portable charging pack with me everywhere I go so I can keep it charged up whenever I need to. Car adapter, USB chargers strewn throughout the house so I can plug it in where ever I am. Tends to need charging several times per day now.

Doing my best to hang in there. Having it on my daily driver (pretty much only driver) is really got me finding things I would never find if it were on a secondary phone. I've been rather busy reporting stuff.

I've really never had an issue with my phone getting hot until Windows 10. Now it gets really not. Never even got slightly warm before. But it's only gotten really hot a couple of times. Phone was not in use either time, so I don't know why.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
It will show how much used, but you can't set a limit to track the usage, or clear it, set the cycle, or anything. Yeah, I'm having to track my data usage using my carrier's app now. Not as efficient by any means. I'm making a lot of sacrifices previewing this. Can't trust the alarms still.

I've got an old flip phone with no SIM that I've pulled out, charged up, and am using it as a stop-gap to get some required basic features back until some things are fixed in 10. I'm carrying a portable charging pack with me everywhere I go so I can keep it charged up whenever I need to. Car adapter, USB chargers strewn throughout the house so I can plug it in where ever I am. Tends to need charging several times per day now.

Doing my best to hang in there. Having it on my daily driver (pretty much only driver) is really got me finding things I would never find if it were on a secondary phone. I've been rather busy reporting stuff.

I've really never had an issue with my phone getting hot until Windows 10. Now it gets really not. Never even got slightly warm before. But it's only gotten really hot a couple of times. Phone was not in use either time, so I don't know why.

Did you try turning off location services? I've heard that can help with the overheating.

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site

Pretty sure the TP has the phone working overtime on the ram, try disabling location services and any other features you may have enabled,you can also try activating the battery saving setting so that it'll disable stuff when at 20% or below battery.

sydneycooper1979

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I have it on my daily driver (830) and I really really like it. The only real bug I'm having is that the apps don't show up in battery saver and therefore I can't keep some apps from running in the background. I think I remember reading about that in another thread. Anyone ahve any idea if you can disable background apps any other way?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo