People like me

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm really excited about the Windows 10 technical preview for phones. I am now using Android with the Sony Xperia Z3 as my daily driver but Windows Phone was my first love and first official OS I experienced. I left WP for Android last year with the cancellation of the dream McLaren, no true flagship on T-Mobile(I do count the HTC One for Windows as a flagship in every sense of the word but it was hard for me to imagine going from the Lumia 1020 to the 4mp "ultrapixel" camera and I disqualify the gorgeous Lumia 925 as a flagship due to its limited 16gb of memory and no micro SD expansion), and at the time Microsoft's future roadmap was unclear for consumers.

The experiment with Android was considered for me the perfect chance to try something different while Microsoft's big vision started to come into clearer view as a consumer. And so far my experience with Android has been a very pleasant one. It lets me know that there IS life beyond what I knew for so long. Since I can trade in my current phone at any time as long as half the price of the phone is paid off and pay an easy twenty something dollars a month extra on my bill, there really is no long term commitment for me to stay on Android. Given Microsoft's slow and sometimes painfully mysterious schedule(at least when it comes to flagship devices), there is really no rush for me. This experiment has been a beautiful distraction from the obsession and disappointments(cancelled McLaren and continued exclusive treatment of flagship Lumia devices) from what I really want: A Lumia 1020 successor or equally appealing device on my carrier with an OS built to thrive for the future.

The technical preview is promising. Microsoft is doing something that neither Android, Blackberry or Apple has never done(at least to my knowledge) in letting enthusiasts interact, provide feedback, and shape in some form the future of the platform. I believe this will prove to be a winning formula and hopefully the next flagship will not be an ATT or Verizon exclusive. Since I am still very much connected to Windows Phone this technical preview will allow me to provide feedback from the perspective of someone who's been here from the beginning and wants to return. All at no risk since I can't fully use my L920 beyond the camera and a Wi-Fi connection anyway. The excitement for change is building up again with the limited release of the technical preview for phone. The hands on videos and articles have been informative and revealing of some good tidbits of features the rest of us are waiting to get our hands on.

So here's hoping for a feature rich OS that does not abandon the original vision of Windows Phone in the first place.(I already have some suggestions about how Microsoft can bring some of that uniqueness back.) Here's hoping for some significant growth in the market. Here's hoping to flagships, midrangers, and entry level phones for all carriers. I for one can guarantee that I wont be returning to Windows 10 if the next flagship is yet another exclusive. Here's hoping for positive changes and a place I can return to.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I own a Z3 now as well and I'm pretty much in the same position as yourself. I still own a L920 that I hope to use with W10 TP to try it out.

Phone exclusives have been the bane of existence for WP and I hope that they have learned something from all the issues they've had but we'll see.

As for me switching any time soon back to WP, unlikely as I don't buy new phones on a regular basis. I buy unlocked carrier free.

So I hope by the time I'm ready for my next phone WP is in a better place all around and I can move back to it. I still plan to keep an eye on it to see how things develop.

W10 is an interesting concept and I like the ideas. I just hope everyone else starts to like them as well.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, the Z3 is an exclusive in the US--exclusive to T-Mobile--so I couldn't use it. I'd only get EDGE, not even 3G, much less LTE if I got it unlocked.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, the Z3 is an exclusive in the US--exclusive to T-Mobile--so I couldn't use it. I'd only get EDGE, not even 3G, much less LTE.

I've heard that. Very disappointing as it's such a nice phone. Sony isn't that popular in the US. MIA has been looking for a ROM for some time and hasn't found one yet. He's found a couple of workarounds I think.

I have a Japanese version I think. I bought it online. I'm not on LTE currently. I'm considering switching providers though. Three has some nice deals for people who travel, like me. It will be LTE, which I hope is good.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've heard that. Very disappointing as it's such a nice phone. Sony isn't that popular in the US. MIA has been looking for a ROM for some time and hasn't found one yet. He's found a couple of workarounds I think.

I have a Japanese version I think. I bought it online. I'm not on LTE currently. I'm considering switching providers though. Three has some nice deals for people who travel, like me. It will be LTE, which I hope is good.
Unfortunately, Sony isn't popular in very many countries these days. Apple is killing Sony even in Japan.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, the Z3 is an exclusive in the US--exclusive to T-Mobile--so I couldn't use it. I'd only get EDGE, not even 3G, much less LTE if I got it unlocked.

And just like Nokia I think it was a bad move for Sony to limit it to just T-Mobile (but lucky for me :)). The Xperia Z3 has really everything you want in a flagship though their camera algorithms needs a little tweaking for maximum results but the potential is there. Other than that, the battery life is fantastic, the front facing stereo speakers are very nice, and the feel in the hand, though slippery without a case, is superb. But by the time the next WP flagship is announced I will have well surpassed half the cost of my current phone which would grant me the opportunity to get it if available on day one. That's what I love about T-Mobile's Jump plan. I can get a new phone quick by paying half the cost of the off contract price or not worry and pay a little bit over a long period of time. I really hope the next wave of previews comes next week so I can put my 920 to use. I still enjoy the Lumia camera experience too as we're unable to tinker with the settings as much on Android's current camera API framework.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I own a Z3 now as well and I'm pretty much in the same position as yourself. I still own a L920 that I hope to use with W10 TP to try it out.

Phone exclusives have been the bane of existence for WP and I hope that they have learned something from all the issues they've had but we'll see.

Yeah I knew I recognized your avatar both from the WP forums in the Lumia 1020 images thread and over in the Xperia Z3 thread on Android Central. You take great pictures no matter the device it seems.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I knew I recognized your avatar both from the WP forums in the Lumia 1020 images thread and over in the Xperia Z3 thread on Android Central. You take great pictures no matter the device it seems.

Actually I have pictures in the WP forums L920 thread... :)

The Sony camera is fantastic. Having nice things to take pictures of helps too. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium