Learning to appreciate Win 10 and Hamburger

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm amazed by how well Kram Sacul put it. If they force us to use it, I'll probably get used to it, but that doesn't mean I'll like it.

Look at the old version of Alarms, and look at the new version of Alarms (in W10), and tell me which one looks better.
http://assets.windowsphone.com/ec9d...Design_702x394px_InvariantCulture_Default.jpg

I know it ain't a final product, but still, keep design in mind please.

Is that the alarm with Win 10 preview? I have something which works and looks very similar called realarm. I have already ditched the generic alarm.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm amazed by how well Kram Sacul put it. If they force us to use it, I'll probably get used to it, but that doesn't mean I'll like it.

Look at the old version of Alarms, and look at the new version of Alarms (in W10), and tell me which one looks better.
http://assets.windowsphone.com/ec9d...Design_702x394px_InvariantCulture_Default.jpg

I know it ain't a final product, but still, keep design in mind please.

the new version looks horrible and bloated compared to the elegant simplicity of the standard alarm.

alarms_04.jpg

i can't tell how you set the new alarm, it looks imprecise and hard to set,
on the standard version its simple and no guessing trying to set it.

later

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
the new version looks horrible and bloated compared to the elegant simplicity of the standard alarm.
Wow, I think that the time picker is the weakest control in WP7 or 8. Picking times around 30 minutes are tough because they requite lots of swiping of the minutes.

i can't tell how you set the new alarm, it looks imprecise and hard to set,
on the standard version its simple and no guessing trying to set it.
You can't see how to change the alarm time because the picture that you quoted shows an already-set alarm. The one below shows the "editing mode" version. The "handles" for the hours and minutes are quite easy to adjust.
Alarms.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
All this talk of Hamburgers makes me want to go to Fuddrucker's.

Anyhoo, did it ever occur to anyone that this might be a precursor to stylus use? I'd much rather tap a drill-down than swipe across my display if using a stylus.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
If we were planning to use a stylus, we'd be expecting 2 handed use. Therefore, the location of the hamburger would be of no concern.

That's my only gripe. The hamburger's are usually the furthest point from my hand holding the device. I wish they would move it down to the lower right, like the typical WP "..." option toggle.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If we were planning to use a stylus, we'd be expecting 2 handed use. Therefore, the location of the hamburger would be of no concern.

The way phones have been going lately, they're all two-handed. I've got big mitts but even I have to use both hands for my 1520. I can see using one hand on a 4:3 display like I used to do with a LG Intuition I had. My thumb could reach all 4 corners, but not on a 16:9.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I think that the time picker is the weakest control in WP7 or 8. Picking times around 30 minutes are tough because they requite lots of swiping of the minutes.

You can't see how to change the alarm time because the picture that you quoted shows an already-set alarm. The one below shows the "editing mode" version. The "handles" for the hours and minutes are quite easy to adjust.
View attachment 97775

i don't even see the am/pm option on it. i'm sure it's hidden somewhere, ugh.

also trying to move the circular slider around looks tricky trying to get exactly to what you want
unless the sensitivity is good.

i'll stick with the basic one.

later

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

also trying to move the circular slider around looks tricky trying to get exactly to what you want

later

It's not hidden, I simply cropped it out to focus on the rings. Well, the hour slider snaps to whole numbers and the minutes it's pretty easy, too.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

later

that was a 24-hour spin-clock

Qais Abu-Hasan

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Nope. If I wanted to use a clunky poorly designed OS I would've continued to stick with Android 3 years ago. All this "better get used to this" nonsense is a big FU to many people that were drawn to WP in the first place. The big magazine like headers, the pivots, the layout of apps were all a part of what set WP apart. It's called STYLE. Sadly somewhere along the way MS forgot about this.

The hamburger menu is just a poor man's way of getting to other options. With WP we have ... which is much more elegant, compact, and positioned near your thumb. There is no reason to accept the asinine idea that we suddenly need hamburger buttons. The last time I checked Windows 10 isn't a mobile website.
True true true !!!! This os exactly what brought me to wp 6 months ago !and I'm not into this hamburger menu coz my 1520,is rather too big to stretch my thumb to get to it !

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 97775
I personally love setting the time. After a couple times you get the "weight" of the rollers and can simply"flick" once and stop it with a tap when it's near the time you want. Then slide your finger up or down for fine control of you missed it.

The round one you showed looks rather easy also.

Last edited:

mgc418

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Everytime I turn around I see stories about this app or that bank or that company dropping support for Windows phone. Considering the number of apps that keep getting dropped, are not being developed for Windows phone or don't even have a windows phone equivalent, I submit that windows phone users have more important things to worry about than the hanburger menu. Getting apps back, developed and/or ported might be where users should be concentrating their efforts. Pivots or hamburger means nothing in comparrison. I am an android user that bought a 635 to try out and see if I can find a reason to switch to WP. The application deficit can't be overcome for me in a way that would allow me to switch. I can honestly say that the ... never once was part of what made me want to try it out. Just my 2 cents.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I am an android user that bought a 635 to try out and see if I can find a reason to switch to WP. The application deficit can't be overcome for me in a way that would allow me to switch. I can honestly say that the ... never once was part of what made me want to try it out. Just my 2 cents.

What made you consider it if you don't mind answering that question. It's somewhat unrelated but I'm just curious what made you consider it having been am Android user...

I'm in the same boat, went from Blackberry to Android to iOS to Windows and I don't miss a while lot about the other platforms.

mgc418

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Basically this, with the Windows 10 on the horizon and MSFT claiming better synergy across platforms and Windows giving the same experience no matter the device. If I can somewhat seamlessly move from device to device and keep (again somewhat) the same experience, that would be awesome. That's what made me decide to give it a shot. Plus I got the 635 cheap. I like the main screen and the live tiles. Think they look great. I had to check it out. As I said above though, the app gap has killed it for me and will kill this platform unless MSFT and the developers make some changes. One way to do that is to grab people like me and iOS users. To do that MSFT knows they will have to change their UI to something a bit more recognizable to them. I know WP users love their beloved UI as it is but you will love it in to the grave if changes aren't made and more users aren't grabbed. I say a small amount of change for current users to get used to is a small price to pay if more people can be coaxed over to this platform, encouraging more developers to make apps and more companies to support the platform and get other apps to come back. After that maybe get MSFT to allow customization to the point you can choose ... or hamburger and other UI elements you like.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to add that I was very confused when I first use W10 for phones with the hamburger menus. I have to say that even after now a couple of weeks, I still don't like it. I need to use two hands for everything. Before I could just use one hand even on a big phone. And I really liked the unique WP design language.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb