Should I install Windows 10 on my 520?

ortizang

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I have managed to download the update without restoring my 520. Now the update is ready to install but I'm afraid it'll brick the phone. I've heard many saying unsupported phones get bricked after installing Windows 10, especially Lumia 520s. So I was hoping in case I bricked my phone but have it fully backed up to OneDrive and restore it using Windows Phone Recovery Tool, will I lose my data? Coz I can't afford to lose anything in my phone. Pls help in this regard. Also is anyone facing any issues with the 520 on Windows 10?

Dude, do whatever you wanna do. It's your phone! Anyway if you do everything as explained you won't brick it. I have windows 10 installed in five phones. No bricks.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. So if i restore before updating would that save me from bricking?

Probably, but there's no guarantee of bricking up your phone so stop worrying so much, I did it on my phone and nothing happened, so you are perfectly safe for now if you haven't installed the update yet. Just restore your phone it will go back to its original state and you'll be safe, but be sure to backup your phone first.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am surprised no one here mentioned plugging in your phone via usb and copying all the data off your phone as a precautionary measure.

Never the less the fact the you are asking and afraid of bricking your phone shows well you shouldn't have done it in the first place as clearly your not comfortable with it.

Therefore ask yourself this, if you don't brick your phone are you comfortable with living with bugs that will impact the battery life and how you use the device on a day to day basis?

Furthermore are you willing to risk bricking your phone reverting back to wp 8.1?

If the answer is No to the above questions, then tough luck you have brought this upon yourself and have yourself to blame. I have no sympathy for people who don't take heed of the stark warning shown:

w10-enroll-phone.png

The only thing you can do now is reflash using the Lumia Recovery Tool and that means wiping everything out, including the downloaded installer.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. So if i restore before updating would that save me from bricking?

Yes, go download windows phone recovery, plug your phone in and re-install everything, quit asking questions, if you downloaded that update your now on a time bomb, do it before it installs it and bricks it.

and for the future, stay the hell away from the TP, you are CLEARLY not who its for.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong post, so ill clarify to this, restoring increases the chances of the update suceeding, but it can still fail. I very strongly recommend not doing this, just restore your OS, and stay out of the TP for now, at least wait until its officially supported for your phone (though i still recommend you don't do it at all)

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Nishad Thakur

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
You cant install windows 10 on your 520 now
Though you downloaded the update you need system space to install that and you will get error for that

And since Ms sealed the loop ,after the recovery you cant download again windows 10 tp on your phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans