Should I install Windows 10 on my 520?

Gautham Surendran

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I have managed to download the update without restoring my 520. Now the update is ready to install but I'm afraid it'll brick the phone. I've heard many saying unsupported phones get bricked after installing Windows 10, especially Lumia 520s. So I was hoping in case I bricked my phone but have it fully backed up to OneDrive and restore it using Windows Phone Recovery Tool, will I lose my data? Coz I can't afford to lose anything in my phone. Pls help in this regard. Also is anyone facing any issues with the 520 on Windows 10?

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
If you need to ask or expect others to tell you what you should do, then you shouldn't do it.

Nobody is going to tell you to do it because if something does go wrong the blame will somehow fall on them.

You know the risks, you decide, not us.

I have a 930 and a backup 925 & 625.... Still, I am waiting until a proper update comes that supports my phones. But that's just me.

I can wait.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have managed to download the update without restoring my 520.[sup]1[/sup]
Now the update is ready to install but I'm afraid it'll brick the phone.[sup]2[/sup]
I've heard many saying unsupported phones get bricked after installing Windows 10, especially Lumia 520s.[sup]3[/sup]
So I was hoping in case I bricked my phone but have it fully backed up to OneDrive and restore it using Windows Phone Recovery Tool, will I lose my data?[sup]4[/sup]
Coz I can't afford to lose anything in my phone.[sup]5[/sup]
Pls help in this regard.[sup]6[/sup]
Also is anyone facing any issues with the 520 on Windows 10?[sup]7[/sup]

1. Was there not a step where you were supposed to restore at the beginning of the process? I've not done any of these hacks, but reading seems to indicate you have skipped a vital step that might be needed to NOT brick your device... Why did you ignore any steps stated as required, if you did so?
  2. There certainly are no guarantees it will work and/or not harm your device. Again, I've not done these hacks, but reading leaves me to believe that if you do nothing the install will happen automatically after a certain deadline that the software should have given. If so, you need to take decisive action or become an unwilling test subject.
  3. And you went ahead anyway, after hearing the danger stories? Or did you just rush ahead and only after you got halfway through take time and look around to see what the risks might be? Not good either way.
  4. If you did a backup to the cloud you will get your Apps back and your contacts, pictures, whatever the cloud saves. No one here can see your phone or know what you have selected and done in terms of backup. Certainly some progress with Apps (games, saved notes, etc.) WILL be lost. No restore is going to bring you 100% back to where you were. That ship has sailed.
  5. It's a little late to worry about what you CAN'T loose from your phone data. How was this supposed to work? You hacked in where you were not invited to get a Beta Test version of an OS that EVERYONE states is not ready for Daily Use on a device you have to have intact... Was it magically going to become fully functional and ready for 100% use overnight??? Surely you should have realized that a reset was in your immediate future if you did this thing.
  6. Maybe your example can help keep others from rushing in. Thank you. Your thread can now become a Public Service Announcement.
  7. Too many and it is making me sad how poorly thought out some users decision tree has become just to try something unfinished for a day or two...

The Insider Program is specifically for those who want to Beta Test the OS for Microsoft. That means putting up with bugs, replicating bugs, reporting bugs. It is work. Volunteer work, but work nonetheless. It is not fun, cool, groovy, whatever... There is a purpose behind it and that purpose is most decidedly NOT PLAYING AROUND.

ANY Beta testing requires skill, knowledge and commitment. It entails risks. If you don't possess the needed qualities and can't accept the consequences you should stay far away from it.

For yourself, Gautham, I urge you to use a verified recovery method and reflash your phone to official as soon as you possibly can. Never mind about what data you will loose. It is far too late for starting to consider that. Back up whatever else you can and forge ahead with recovering your device.

FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - USA

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Pro tip: You must backup your files before you do something in your phone.

First things first, I do not guarantee any success or failure in the hacked version of the update-which you shouldn't be downloading at the first place. I don't know if issues varies by phone specs.

I installed the hacked version w10 in my 1020, I believe its a Lumia 630 version. Everything was working great so far, bugs and issues are the same as the official one.

One of the main concern is whether Microsoft is pushing an update for it or not, so there's change of bricking your phone.

Anyway windows 10 was great but I can't afford to lose my phone and its still so buggy to use so I restored it back to wp8.1.

Just a suggestion: Don't install it yet, official release is always the best bet.

sam sundar

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Actually nothing will be lost ... If u connect to a wifi all d apps and games will be downloaded which u had during backup process . Believe me windows 10 technical preview is not so good . Its good not to install it and let your phone cry . Have your Lumia denim which runs smoothly . Wait for official release of windows 10 no one stops you from updating that time . I myself went to Nokia care and asked about the issues I had after installing windows 10 (heating,lagging,battery life ) they said "as it is not the official launch bugs will be there its better to wait for official launch and install that rather than installing some laggy preview build .. So don't install windows 10 . Hope u understand 😊😊

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
May I know what data you lost after restoring to WP 8.1? That's what I need to know before proceeding.

Nothing much really, but here's the things I've lost so far after the restoration:
Downloaded maps(its usual after reset/restore)
Settings
Navigation bar settings( I'm not sure though but I couldn't still find it after I restored my phone)
And of course local data

Connect your phone to the internet/wifi upon restoring.

You may need to soft reset/hard reset/restore it again, because sometimes the new OS you got is buggy

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
You will definitely lose all progress in games which don't support cloud saving or correctly implement WP8.1 backup procedure, i.e. most of them. (600 gems, 200000 coins, all levels completed in Angry Birds Go! is the one thing keeping me from doing anything to my primary phone yet).

Other apps you might have to setup from scratch, they'll forget your account info or other stuff.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
no matter what happens, at this point, hook your phone to your pc and reinstall your os/firmware, your either going to get the update now and brick your phone, or your going to back out, which willl require you to reinstall your os firmware. Dont screw around, if that update installs without a clean os install it /WILL/ fail and brick

Gautham Surendran

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
New features and UI changes in WP10
- new fullscreen background option on start, with parallax when swiping sideways but not for up/down
- start screen background also shows in apps list
- new tile formats: large square (2x2) and vertical (1x2). Select MS apps only for now
- more quick settings toggles in action center
- actionable notifications
- improved settings menu (finally!)
- continuous dictation with punctuation in any text box (Speech To Text, STT)
- a new full-featured file explorer!
- a dedicated search app that can search local files etc. (also accessible via Cortana)
- Lumia camera app is now the default
- hints that inking support is coming! (or accidentally left in upon porting from PC..)
- linear brightness slider instead just three settings
- synced notifications with Win 10 (does this already work?)
- new universal photo's app, now allows inclusion of video in multi-select
- ability to attach any file type to emails. Finally!!
- changes to calculator, timer, alarms, stopwatch, and world clock, apparently
- new built-in recorder app
- detachable and movable keyboard (large screen phones only?)
- live interpretation of swype gestures
- fine cursor button / pointing stick on keyboard
- new browser engine with Apple HLS support (no Spartan yet, just the new engine)
- device encryption option under Settings/System
- phone reminds users of their next calendar item during shutdown
- press and hold bluetooth toggle links to bluetooth settings
- recently installed apps appear at the top of the apps list
- swipe up on a photo to display file properties
- new design for the context menu / long-press menu
- mkv support in the video player

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members