Anyone got Denim after upgrading to W10?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone updated their phone with the denim firmware after upgrading to W10?

I want to upgrade to W10, but I am still on fake denim on my 830. I am afraid once I upgrade to W10, I won't get Denim when it is released for my product code.

Something similar happens with Preview for Developers, but in that case, you can disable PfD and you get denim. I am afraid upgrading to W10 will take me off the regular update ring permanently.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I think that you would still get the Denim upgrade even if you have Win 10 loaded "but" I would see what someone more teckie than I has to say before you jump in. I have Win 10 on my 635 but it had Denim before I upgraded to 10.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone updated their phone with the denim firmware after upgrading to W10?

I want to upgrade to W10, but I am still on fake denim on my 830. I am afraid once I upgrade to W10, I won't get Denim when it is released for my product code.

Something similar happens with Preview for Developers, but in that case, you can disable PfD and you get denim. I am afraid upgrading to W10 will take me off the regular update ring permanently.

I've asked myself the same question and so far I didn't get the information.

I also have the Lumia 830 and waiting for the real Denim update and I'm currently on WP10 TP. I keep an eye on my carrier twitter account so when I do see the update available for my phone with my carrier I will try to update it and report back. Hopefully this will be soon but I don't have great hopes since I've talked to my carrier yesterday and they told me that they don't even have the update in their hands yet.

Gaurav29Sharma

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Denim is windows 8.1's update and you are on windows 10 tp. these two are completely different things. Take for example, if denim is Windows XP service pack 2 then WP10 tp will be an early build of Vista.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Denim is windows 8.1's update and you are on windows 10 tp. these two are completely different things. Take for example, if denim is Windows XP service pack 2 then WP10 tp will be an early build of Vista.

Not really. As per Nokia Denim = Windows Phone 8.1 Update+ Driver updates/firmware

The second bit is what is required for Lumia Camera 5 to work.

Gaurav29Sharma

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
You are super lame.... Denim for only few model contains firmware... and firmware or no firmware it is completely different OS. There is no connection between denim and windows 10 upgrade.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
You are super lame.... Denim for only few model contains firmware... and firmware or no firmware it is completely different OS. There is no connection between denim and windows 10 upgrade.
You are mentally stunted. Go read my post above. I have the 830. The newer firmware which would come with Denim will enable LC 5.

Denim=New OS + New firmware
I need the firmware part.

Updating to Windows 10 updated my OS version not firmware, version which is the same as before.

If you can't help in any way, don't waste everyone's time. Off you go. Shoo!

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You are mentally stunted. Go read my post above. I have the 830. The newer firmware which would come with Denim will enable LC 5.

Denim=New OS + New firmware
I need the firmware part.

Updating to Windows 10 updated my OS version not firmware, version which is the same as before.

If you can't help in any way, don't waste everyone's time. Off you go. Shoo!

The names Black, Cyan, Denim, etc., are not OS updates. They are firmware only and always have been. OS updates are labelled as General Distribution Releases. Yes, OS and firmware updates are almost always bundled together but if you already have the updated OS version, such as through the Preview for Developers, you would only get the firmware. If you installed W10 for phones, then there is no reason for the OS to change so only your firmware gets updated.

As far as your post above, Nokia claims Denim is OS + firmware because the majority of consumers are not enthusiasts and don't care about these things. Nokia phones on WP8.1 will get WP8.1 GDR1 as well as the Denim firmware update at the same time. An example of this is the Lumia Icon. Some older devices, such as the 1020, will only get an OS update and are Denim only in name since there will be no firmware update bundled with the OS (my guess is that this was done for consistency across all Lumia devices). The update process verifies which device and what software you are running on that device and will update only what is required. So, if you already updated the OS through PFD or Windows Insider, you will only get the newer firmware.

Also, the only time people have had to flash back or downgrade the OS was due to the BitLocker issue which eventually got resolved without having to flash back.

I wish Microsoft would get rid of these names and just update all devices - desktops, laptops, tablets and phones - through Windows Update. Since W10 is the same on all devices, I'm hoping that's the direction future OS updates will go.

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I had this same question (I have an AT&T 830 with not-quite-denim.) I upgraded to W10P anyway. I also downloaded Lumia camera, and it still tells me I need denim to make I work. I assume that in the worst case scenario I could roll back to 8.1, get denim, then reinstall W10. I hope MS finds a better way, but we'll see.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The names Black, Cyan, Denim, etc., are not OS updates. They are firmware only and always have been. OS updates are labelled as General Distribution Releases. Yes, OS and firmware updates are almost always bundled together but if you already have the updated OS version, such as through the Preview for Developers, you would only get the firmware. If you installed W10 for phones, then there is no reason for the OS to change so only your firmware gets updated.

As far as your post above, Nokia claims Denim is OS + firmware because the majority of consumers are not enthusiasts and don't care about these things. Nokia phones on WP8.1 will get WP8.1 GDR1 as well as the Denim firmware update at the same time. An example of this is the Lumia Icon. Some older devices, such as the 1020, will only get an OS update and are Denim only in name since there will be no firmware update bundled with the OS (my guess is that this was done for consistency across all Lumia devices). The update process verifies which device and what software you are running on that device and will update only what is required. So, if you already updated the OS through PFD or Windows Insider, you will only get the newer firmware.

Also, the only time people have had to flash back or downgrade the OS was due to the BitLocker issue which eventually got resolved without having to flash back.

I wish Microsoft would get rid of these names and just update all devices - desktops, laptops, tablets and phones - through Windows Update. Since W10 is the same on all devices, I'm hoping that's the direction future OS updates will go.

The reason I ask whether I need to flash back is not because of technical issues. When people installed Preview for developers, they didn't get the new firmware from Nokia unless they turned PfD off, because turning it ON changes the server where the phone looks for updates. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to turn Insiders off

OberstDanjeje

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's confirmed. Cannot get the new firmware while on Windows 10. Have to roll back. Dang!

If I'm you I will wait.
Some user had to disable PfD for installing Denim, other didn't..
I had to disable PfD with the 930 but not for the 1520 and on the 930 I received the last small update without disabling it.
Maybe they need more time to test the firmware update before enabling it with Windows 10

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Any updates from anyone? Did anyone get any new firmware (not Windows OS version), after upgrading to WIndows 10 on their phones?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo