MS should outbid Google in the Softcard Negotiation.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Let me go directly to the point here the big two dogs in mobile Apple and Google are making the right moves when it comes to mobile payments. Google has Wallet and although it hasn't have the traction Google hoped for is a better option than WP. Apple we like it or not had changed the game in mobile payments and as always "popularized" the payment system; now every bank, stores plus the Federal Government are rushing to accept Apple Mobile payments. Not to hit old beat drum but WP is not way to be found in this. I may have missed but I have not hear any news about MS and mobile payments relates news, If you have please let me know.

There has been a rumor that Google wants to acquired the only mobile payment system WP users have to [Software] now the WSJ is reporting that Google is in negotiation to acquired the payment system, and that is just bad news for us as the guys on [video]http://wmpoweruser.com/bad-news-for-windows-phonegoogle-set-to-buy-nfc-payments-provider-softcard/[/video] put it.

The effort would be to bolster Google Wallet, which has been losing traction against the very popular Apple Pay, which already accounts for 2/3 of contact-less payments in US.
Google is apparently concerned that an effective mobile payment feature will become a selling point for phones, which could help iOS and hurt Android.

If the two big dogs are moving into that direction, what would MS do? We all know what happen when Google or Apple acquired something they go extinct on W/WP platforms. I believe MS should outbid Google in the Softcard negotiation and secure this mobile system for the future and develop on it. MS is the only one that is playing cross platform and in acquiring this will give MS more foot into the others and secure and mobile payment system for W/WP. Yes, Google is absolutely right this will become a selling point. And WP cannot afford other hurdle against the platform.
MS should outbid Google

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Please Cast a vote and let MS know about this. [video]https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/7128513-mobile-payment-system[/video]

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Any chance the lawyers at MS know better how to deal with this than we do?
There are many ways to respond to something like this. How do we know that outbidding Google for Softcard is not the worst of those options?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Bid up the price of Softcard, then let Google buy it, then publicize their existing partnership with Apple that aims to take Softcard out of the race? Just one example...

Either way, whatever MS does, they don't have the clout to successfully bring this type of thing to market themselves. They need to partner up with someone.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
From what I understood, I had read an article some time ago about some banks that were rather upset at having to set up Apple Pay because it just didn't work well with their systems. Systems that run Windows. Microsoft could so own this as far as the banking systems go if they did it right.

Retailers would rather have something that was more universal other than Apple Pay as well.

What is needed is a 3rd party option that "could" be a cooperation of Microsoft and Google (which will never happen) to create the Soft Card system in such a way that it would be open to ALL phones, including Apple. If it can be run on Apple, Android, and WP, well, you'd have the merchants and banks at Apple and Android without throwing in WP, but then WP wouldn't be left out. The only way WP can win is to make sure Apple and Android are included with the compatibility and capability. It has to be realized across all platforms, otherwise, no matter how good WP makes it, it won't succeed because of "market share." However, if Microsoft makes it across all platforms, then it can be a success because WP would not be left behind.

Yeah, outbidding Google is probably the only way Microsoft can be kept from being left out in the cold. Unfortunately for Microsoft, they will have to share with Google afterward in order to be successful. Ain't that a bitter pill.

It would be a shame to come out with Windows 10 with all the "One OS on all devices" just to be done in by not being able to pay for purchases. This is an urgent issue to be sure. Thanks for bringing up the discussion on it.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, outbidding Google is probably the only way Microsoft can be kept from being left out in the cold. Unfortunately for Microsoft, they will have to share with Google afterward in order to be successful. Ain't that a bitter pill

Indeed, Google will become the necessary evil. But that is a better option than being left out. MS wouldn't mind at all offer its products to others platforms. Office comes into mind.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
No they should not. MS needs to build from the ground up a mobile payment system that is on par or better than apple pay. Last year MS hired Lain Kennedy who work with payments at Amazon. From reading about the hire, everyone thought he was brought along to build a superior mobile payment system. MS needs to announce their plans no later than /Build conference. The wallet app has been a dead app for me. It was highly touted and talked about 2 years ago. Orange in France was going to get the ball rolling but nothing came about. I cant believe MS had trouble getting banks and creditor, and store on its side. Wallet just has not been a priority for MS. I guess now it will be since they see what apple is doing. It's a shame that MS is letting apple lead in yet another category. I've said this before, but I don't think Joe Belfiore is the right person for the phone division. He doesn't seem to be able to do the job his counterparts at google and apple do.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
What is needed is a 3rd party option that "could" be a cooperation of Microsoft and Google (which will never happen) to create the Soft Card system in such a way that it would be open to ALL phones, including Apple. If it can be run on Apple, Android, and WP, well, you'd have the merchants and banks at Apple and Android without throwing in WP, but then WP wouldn't be left out. The only way WP can win is to make sure Apple and Android are included with the compatibility and capability. It has to be realized across all platforms, otherwise, no matter how good WP makes it, it won't succeed because of "market share." However, if Microsoft makes it across all platforms, then it can be a success because WP would not be left behind.

IMO, the biggest problem with Softcard is Softcard. When I first tried using the Softcard app, I was surprised that I could only directly add credit cards from Wells Fargo, American Express and Chase (three banks I don't use). In order to use my current debit/credit cards, I would have to get an American Express Serve card shipped to me. I would then have to link my other cards to the serve card. Or I could set up direct deposit to the Serve card (which was clearly not going to happen). Or I could use cash reload cards from various convenient stores and gas stations. The problem with all those methods is that they require too much work. The average consumer doesn't want to go through all that.

I agree. I think a neutral third party is the best way to handle a mobile payment system. Softcard is floundering because the Softcard consortium (Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T) have poor relationships with the banks. My guess is that they started Softcard so they could be in control of the next payment system. And when you have money grubbers like Verizon and AT&T involved, I doubt either the banks or carriers were willing to relinquish enough power/revenue so that Softcard could take off. And I'm willing to bet that there's enough infighting between Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T that Softcard became stagnate due to each carrier's separate agenda.

In the end it's a very cumbersome, inconvenient and confusing app that only complicates mobile payment. The process needs to be easy and transparent. In fact, considering Softcard was created by the carriers, I'm surprised there's no option for carrier billing. That seems like such a logical thing to do.

It should also be mentioned that rumors of Google buying Softcard started a while ago.

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...-would-need-more-than-softcard-to-matc-2.aspx

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The SoftCard model is driven by greed and kickbacks. It's highly flawed. Carriers created this mess.

Google, then Apple, each came up with separate workarounds to provide security for transactions. Microsoft needs to do the same and implement an in-house system and get it ratified by Banks.

Cut out the carriers, we already know how they put ridiculous and wasteful exclusivity at the forefront of every deal they touch making it so much less than what it should be...

Last edited:

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
IMO there can't be three forms of mobile payments. Banks, stores wont deal with the cost associated with supporting multiple hardware or dealing with 3 software venders on a shard point of sale. This should be a big red flashing light to Microsoft if they want to stay in the mobile space whose key will be mobile payments. We know Apple is proprietary and wont share with thier Apple pay. Google and Microsoft need to bury the hatchet on this one and joint bid for softcard. This takeover will bolster softcard against Apple pay as it can be sold as truly universal and proper advertising can be done for it.

Google could buy it themselves, they have the cash flow. We know if this happens, Softcard will be discontinued on WP. They should rethink this if only to prevent Microsoft from joining with Apple on mobile payments. WP has no play at making a third mobile payment system. Banks wont have it and Microsoft doesn't have time or resources. The only thing going for Microsoft is they can be a tipping point towards a universal mobile pay system with softcard. If not this will be last straw for MS in not having a mobile pay system and mobile pay will be continually fractured between Softcard and Apple pay.

Last edited:

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If google buys Softcard it will be pulled from Windows. They are an evil empire which likes to push the boundaries of anti-trust and privacy violations.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Softcard is a horrible idea. in the age of smartpayments, the process shouldn't have to even remotely include a carrier, yet that's exactly what softcard does, along with apple pay. the payment system should be managed within the device and service itself. there are methods like PayPal/ Square/ Dwolla which should become more available that keep the carrier out of the cards. I want to be able to walk in somewhere, and be able to pay without even an NFC reader.

I have a gps, camera and a screen. figure out how to get a secure payment from that, then make it available on any type of phone, whether it's a nokia asha or an android.

Also,Google would be stupid to not want to allow windows phone into the SoftCard payment system. that's easy money/clicks for them, and fits their model. I understand the junior high antics with not wanting to support google chat and others, but to turn down what is virtually easy money for them would be completely asinine.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Have to say, I don't this makes any difference. I cant foresee retailers forcing customers to use their smartphones as the only way to pay for goods, it will always just be an option until it can be guaranteed that every potential customer has the capability to pay using this method and until then as long as there is not 100% adoption of smartphones conventional methods of payment will still be available. Much fuss about nothing.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I remember having commented on a thread about a month or so ago on this subject, around the same time MS announced a partnership with PayPal. Don't forget PayPal are stuck on the side-lines and NEED someone to help them get on the bandwagon.

I know eBay are looking at spinning PayPal off, wouldn't surprise me if MS acquires a chunk if not all of it!

G.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Have to say, I don't this makes any difference. I cant foresee retailers forcing customers to use their smartphones as the only way to pay for goods, it will always just be an option until it can be guaranteed that every potential customer has the capability to pay using this method and until then as long as there is not 100% adoption of smartphones conventional methods of payment will still be available. Much fuss about nothing.

Yeah, until Google reveals their grand plan, there's nothing for Android users to get excited about. It's good that Softcard is going to come pre-installed on more devices. However, the app is still inconvenient to use. Retailers still aren't supporting, some have even turned tap-to-pay off on their POS machines. And we still don't know where the banks stand. Google has a long way to go before making Softcard a viable alternative, but hey, at least it's a start.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo