Background downloading in Win for phone 10

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if there's some form of background downloading in the current/future builds of win 10 preview because it's one of my biggest gripes with WP right now and the reason I can't use it as my daily driver. I love WP and I want Win 10 to blow my socks off (the reason I haven't installed the average insider preview) but I'm a heavy user and when it comes to handling big downloads, WP is near unusable.
Presently, as we've all experienced some time or the other, the download tasks of an app get suspended when we move out of it, causing it to redownload the entire process from scratch when it resumes. It's particularly frustrating to wait for a (large) video/file to buffer/download as it virtually renders your phone useless for that time.(God save you if you were unfortunate enough to set the screen time out to 30 secs, even ninja reflexes won't save you once it goes black). Also, I'm sick of staring at that screen saver tip in UC browser.
I thought true multitasking (like Android) was the only way out, but it's a battery eating abomination which I don't want on my WP, but ***drumroll*** there seems to be another way.
Ever notice how your store automatically updates your apps, even though your phone's locked or you're browsing your social feeds? There's apparently a service/API that allows the store to run background downloads, but it's stupidly limited to the store app. All MS needs to do is to roll out another core app with the same services/APIs, allow it to recognize downloading/buffering tasks, label it as "downloads" and put it in our apps list and voila! It's simple and effective, gets the job done, and makes our life a hell lotta easier.

So the questions-
1. Is there some form of background downloading in the current/ future builds of win 10 preview?
2. How many of you want this feature?
3. Am I right regarding the store app?
4. Is this worth a uservoice?

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I will only stay with windows phone....if they have a blank customizable home screen,like windows 10 has,and background downloading.....not having these two features,is why Microsoft only has 3% of the phone market....and Android/ios has 97%.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree with you. WP need a single background agent that can manage all download task from any app, just like notification service, the app will only be needed to triggered to run when the download is finished. This worth a user voice.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I guess many browsers support background downloading since WP8. Try UC Browser.

I have but it's quite unpredictable and needs the app to remain open (when the screen times out). So opening another app (say 6tag) won't let it download. Plus it's not a complete solution as buffering woes still remain.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I have but it's quite unpredictable and needs the app to remain open (when the screen times out). So opening another app (say 6tag) won't let it download. Plus it's not a complete solution as buffering woes still remain.

Never happened to me, it constantly downloads when I minimize it and open another app. Have you checked its permission in battery app regarding background task ??

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Never happened to me, it constantly downloads when I minimize it and open another app. Have you checked its permission in battery app regarding background task ??

I have. :)
But like I said it's VERY unpredictable. I wonder how they did it, and if other devs can integrate the function into their apps as well.
A lot of people aren't happy with the options we have right now.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if there's some form of background downloading in the current/future builds of win 10 preview because it's one of my biggest gripes with WP right now and the reason I can't use it as my daily driver. I love WP and I want Win 10 to blow my socks off (the reason I haven't installed the average insider preview) but I'm a heavy user and when it comes to handling big downloads, WP is near unusable.
Presently, as we've all experienced some time or the other, the download tasks of an app get suspended when we move out of it, causing it to redownload the entire process from scratch when it resumes. It's particularly frustrating to wait for a (large) video/file to buffer/download as it virtually renders your phone useless for that time.(God save you if you were unfortunate enough to set the screen time out to 30 secs, even ninja reflexes won't save you once it goes black). Also, I'm sick of staring at that screen saver tip in UC browser.
I thought true multitasking (like Android) was the only way out, but it's a battery eating abomination which I don't want on my WP, but ***drumroll*** there seems to be another way.
Ever notice how your store automatically updates your apps, even though your phone's locked or you're browsing your social feeds? There's apparently a service/API that allows the store to run background downloads, but it's stupidly limited to the store app. All MS needs to do is to roll out another core app with the same services/APIs, allow it to recognize downloading/buffering tasks, label it as "downloads" and put it in our apps list and voila! It's simple and effective, gets the job done, and makes our life a hell lotta easier.

So the questions-
1. Is there some form of background downloading in the current/ future builds of win 10 preview?
2. How many of you want this feature?
3. Am I right regarding the store app?
4. Is this worth a uservoice?
Answer to question 1 Check out "UC Downloader" for Windows Phone http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=8fbcc61f-4649-4430-84d5-c4f662e2f0b2

ajaya p

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I have. :)
But like I said it's VERY unpredictable. I wonder how they did it, and if other devs can integrate the function into their apps as well.
A lot of people aren't happy with the options we have right now.

I totally agree with you. If MS can't cut there background downloading limitations and true multitasking limitations in windows 10 I am very disappointed. Only windows phone have the big problem.

ajaya p

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Answer to question 1 Check out "UC Downloader" for Windows Phone http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=8fbcc61f-4649-4430-84d5-c4f662e2f0b2

android work perfectly in background downloading in any network. But windows phone limitation not running apps on background in all network. If you use 3G/WIFI background downloading work in some apps ex-uc browser and uc downloader and if you use 2G network totally background downloading not working even uc browser and uc downloader. and true multitasking not working in windows phone even you use 2G/3G/4G/WIFI any network. Those simple features not working in windows phone now its just like a java phone. So in this stage windows phone can't overtake and popular with compare other OS

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
android work perfectly in background downloading in any network. But windows phone limitation not running apps on background in all network. If you use 3G/WIFI background downloading work in some apps ex-uc browser and uc downloader and if you use 2G network totally background downloading not working even uc browser and uc downloader. and true multitasking not working in windows phone even you use 2G/3G/4G/WIFI any network. Those simple features not working in windows phone now its just like a java phone. So in this stage windows phone can't overtake and popular with compare other OS

Multitasking doesn't depend on the type of network you are using for example 3g 4g 2g etc. It's a OS capability which is currently not supported by Windows phone OS. A suggestion is if u are a heavy downloader kindly use a PC for that, in the long run...you will be benifited as it wont take the battery juice out of your device,
However there is always room for improvement and I choose to live with the limitations and support the platform with the only hope of see it improve day by day....i am gonna be there and support the platform no matter what...!

ajaya p

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Multitasking doesn't depend on the type of network you are using for example 3g 4g 2g etc. It's a OS capability which is currently not supported by Windows phone OS. A suggestion is if u are a heavy downloader kindly use a PC for that, in the long run...you will be benifited as it wont take the battery juice out of your device,
However there is always room for improvement and I choose to live with the limitations and support the platform with the only hope of see it improve day by day....i am gonna be there and support the platform no matter what...!

I am already explained in my post multitasking not work in any network. Mean same thing. Or I know if download a heavy file for batter use PC. Its depends on user. Some people don't have any PC what he do for download a heavy file?
android user do not needed any PC for download a heavy file. So why windows phone user need a PC to download a heavy file?

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I am already explained in my post multitasking not work in any network. Mean same thing. Or I know if download a heavy file for batter use PC. Its depends on user. Some people don't have any PC what he do for download a heavy file?
android user do not needed any PC for download a heavy file. So why windows phone user need a PC to download a heavy file?
yea..i mentioned it is a limitation there is nothing i we can do about it, except suggesting microsoft to bring a change, you can always refer to the windows phone user voice and post your message there, till then... your option is staying with the Windows phone OS or switching to a more developed platform such as iOs and Android!

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree with you. If MS can't cut there background downloading limitations and true multitasking limitations in windows 10 I am very disappointed. Only windows phone have the big problem.

People don't realise that "true multitasking" is not needed for any smartphone whatsoever. The memory and battery consumption will bog down the phone and make it near unusable (Android).
On the other hand, background downloading is supposed to be a basic function. Even more so when the OS is capable of running the particular service already. They just need to expand the functionality.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
You've clearly misunderstood my question. What I'm asking for is uninterrupted net service for apps. Eg. IE shouldn't have to reload my webpage everytime I minimize it. Mytube needn't have to stop buffering my videos while I'm checking my mail.
I don't want a single app that can run in the background, I'm asking for a robust background service baked into the OS, which is also available for 3rd party devs to integrate into their apps.

ajaya p

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
People don't realise that "true multitasking" is not needed for any smartphone whatsoever. The memory and battery consumption will bog down the phone and make it near unusable (Android).
On the other hand, background downloading is supposed to be a basic function. Even more so when the OS is capable of running the particular service already. They just need to expand the functionality.

i know consumption battery but this type consumption not pressure with phone or battery to damage. People need safety not need full protection safety. true multitasking works on other OS(android,ios,Symbian) but no consumption battery.and unusable mean android work perfectly with multitasking feature.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
You've clearly misunderstood my question. What I'm asking for is uninterrupted net service for apps. Eg. IE shouldn't have to reload my webpage everytime I minimize it. Mytube needn't have to stop buffering my videos while I'm checking my mail.
I don't want a single app that can run in the background, I'm asking for a robust background service baked into the OS, which is also available for 3rd party devs to integrate into their apps.
I didnt missunderstand, all I gave is a suggestion, we all know that kjnd of a roboust service has still not been developed by Microsoft, however I think internal build are being tested with background downloading services by Microsoft , which is generally not a public release and we may have no idea about. Only time will tell, anyways all we can do I sit and wait for a miracle...! You maybe surprised but its true that Windows Phone is my First Smartphone...i have never used Android(only Pc version using emulator). And still love the Windows phone ecosystem, its like I got habituated with the limitations, but I got your point and also agree with the idea....i think you should post it in uservoice and we will vote it...👍

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you guys have used ios. There is no true multitasking there either. It works exactly the same as windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb