Flagship Phone for Windows 10

nightryder21

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm thrilled you don't work for Microsoft, because I'd hate the route you're taking on both ends.

Much of what you've mentioned, to me, ignores basic logic. The battery stuff is the main thing. I don't get the display size differences either. Oh, and given that there is only one SD 810 model available, how are you going to get different RAM allocations for each device, and why do you even think 4 GB is necessary/beneficial? Lastly, why are you aiming for extreme storage sizes that raise the device's price tag, when a microSD option would solve that issue while keeping the price lower?

I also hate the finger crap, just another gimmick to have to skip during device setup. Aluminum devices suck as well, IMO. I'd rather have polycarbonate, which won't change in feel with the temperature as much (I hate grabbing an ice-cold device or one that's sat in direct sunlight for too long in the summer). I thought that the 925 was a hideous device myself, and would prefer single-color, single-material backing in several colors, like with the 920 (I hated the aluminum band on the 830, especially since it never matched in color to the device). I think my preferred style would be the 930, but without the metal band, with an orange or non-cyan blue option.

The 1020 successor (1030) is fundamentally a different phone than the 925 successor (935). The 1030 would (hopefully) essentially a phone to actually compete with pocket camera with a 1" sensor. If it is a high MP sensor (>30mp) and shorting raw you have huge file sizes. To multitask amd processes these photos you lots of ram. Asking for 1gb extra ram above current flagships is not asking for much. Also it needs a minimum of 32GB of storage but 64 should really be the minimum because of the use case of this type of phone. Fingerprint sensor is such a huge convenience and secirenwaynto login to things besides your own phone. Paying with your phone is sooooop much easier with it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 successor (1030) is fundamentally a different phone than the 925 successor (935). The 1030 would (hopefully) essentially a phone to actually compete with pocket camera with a 1" sensor. If it is a high MP sensor (>30mp) and shorting raw you have huge file sizes. To multitask amd processes these photos you lots of ram. Asking for 1gb extra ram above current flagships is not asking for much. Also it needs a minimum of 32GB of storage but 64 should really be the minimum because of the use case of this type of phone. Fingerprint sensor is such a huge convenience and secirenwaynto login to things besides your own phone. Paying with your phone is sooooop much easier with it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

You know that the 925 is just a different-bodied 920, right? And the only difference between the 1020 and 920 was the camera (extra imaging sensor, better optics overall). So, saying that the 1030 and 935 are "fundamentally different" really makes no sense. They share a lot of common parts (CPU, GPU, RAM, display).

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You know that the 925 is just a different-bodied 920, right? And the only difference between the 1020 and 920 was the camera (extra imaging sensor, better optics overall). So, saying that the 1030 and 935 are "fundamentally different" really makes no sense. They share a lot of common parts (CPU, GPU, RAM, display).

Exactly, and I think it would be ideal if they released one flagship in the fall that is the successor to the 920/925/1020 but in two sizes (like the L640 and L640 XL). I'm not saying the L930 wasn't a good phone or not a successor, I just mean a followup that has a superior camera to the 1020 but in a 925 like form factor.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think much research is needed for that phone compared to a flagship with lower specs. The biggest problem is the cost of distribution.
That would mean the Surface, Surface 2, and the pro line didn't take much research to build either. That Windows X is already ready for production and they are just teasing us with the preview. Have you ever spec'd a desktop computer, bought all the parts then put them together? Any research involved in that and what personal costs would you affix to your time?

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
You are setting yourself for a dissapointment if you think they will have 3 or 4GB RAM. They wont because Windows OS simly doesnt need it. I think the flagships will have 2GB RAM. Max 3 but not 4. If they add more it will only drain battery nothing else. People are such sheeps, they only see big number next to RAM and theyre like oh my goood sweet, it got 8gB of RAM yeeees and then they wine about battery lasting one day.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I will be more encouraged about the next Flagship when MS can get the W10 TP to run on one of the old flagships. OTOH, I am hopeful about the new XL naming convention which suggests that the new Flagships will effectively include an upgraded 1520.

There seems to be an uptick in interest in other manufacturers releasing W10 phones. It will help with the cross-platform launch of W10 if they get the word out about new Flagships and have them widely available quickly (when W10 is formally released).

I will hang tough with my 1520, but it would help to get the TP soon and also, the tantalizing come-one of informed rumors and leaks about the next Flagships!

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
​I don't understand why some many people wanna more and more power in their phones...it's a phone is not not where you use photoshop or Autocad 3D

A lot of reasons why I'd want the latest SOC. A new processor typically is more efficient and will do a task with less power, ultimately improving battery life (same reason why I wanted LTE). I'd also like my phone to boot up faster, take faster pictures, load web pages faster, etc.

I recently compared the speed of web browsing on my L925 to an iphone 6 and nexus 6- it felt like the difference between dial-up and broadband on some websites.

But I do agree with high resolutions, I don't think I'll ever need 4K on a 5" device.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
A lot of reasons why I'd want the latest SOC. A new processor typically is more efficient and will do a task with less power, ultimately improving battery life (same reason why I wanted LTE). I'd also like my phone to boot up faster, take faster pictures, load web pages faster, etc.

I recently compared the speed of web browsing on my L925 to an iphone 6 and nexus 6- it felt like the difference between dial-up and broadband on some websites.

But I do agree with high resolutions, I don't think I'll ever need 4K on a 5" device.

I agree with you on the new processors but a new processor does not mean that you need necessarily more ram, 4g of ram only drain more battery and increases the device cost and on a WP you simply do not need that amount of ram but yeah a lot of people justo ona to show it off to their friends and say 'its bigger than yours'

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you on the new processors but a new processor does not mean that you need necessarily more ram, 4g of ram only drain more battery and increases the device cost and on a WP you simply do not need that amount of ram but yeah a lot of people justo ona to show it off to their friends and say 'its bigger than yours'

Yes, the obsession with ram is very strange in the mobile space. It's also very strange with pcs/ laptops and the average consumer that only use the browser and MS office, but therein lies the problem.

Consumers (mostly enthusiasts) demand these specs and use them to differentiate between devices, so even though WP runs quite well with specs from 2 years ago its hard to convey that to consumers.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, and I think it would be ideal if they released one flagship in the fall that is the successor to the 920/925/1020 but in two sizes (like the L640 and L640 XL). I'm not saying the L930 wasn't a good phone or not a successor, I just mean a followup that has a superior camera to the 1020 but in a 925 like form factor.

I don't think you're looking at the phone classes correctly. If they went the XL way with the 900 series, then the 940 XL would almost certainly be the replacement to the 1500 series, not the 1000 series. The 640 XL's advantages over the 640 are the camera and the size. With a pair of 900-series releases, the differences would probably just be the size, and MAYBE a better FFC in the XL model.

Should Microsoft release another 1000 series device, I would expect it to be similar to what the 920/1020 line was: The 1040 would be a 940 with the optics boost. It wouldn't carry a larger display than the 940, and given the general SoC improvements over the past 3 years (since the 1020's SoC was launched), any need for a RAM boost or special optics chip would be out the window. So, you could see the next camera-centric device released as a 940 C (as suggested in the past), or as a 1040 (skipping the 1030 to keep the numbering scheme equal).

The other possibility is that the 1000 and 1520 models are thrown together, but I'm not sure how likely that would be, as there could be a loss of optics-loving customers because of a too-large screen. However, they COULD make it so there's a 940 with the expected specs (SD 810, 5" 1080p IPS display, etc.), then the 940 XL takes that, ups the screen to 5.5-6.0", and replaces a likely 20-MP camera with a 40-MP camera, along with a resolution bump on the display to QHD. Maybe combining the devices into a large package lessens the camera hump, not sure.

Still, I think that a 940 XL replacing the 1020 on its own is the least-likely scenario. I'd expect the 1000 series moniker to live on, with the 900 XL taking over for the 1500 series, or I'd expect the 900 XL series to combine the 1000 and 1500 series devices into one. It actually might make the most sense, given how the competition has somewhat taken that route as well (Galaxy S vs. Galaxy Note and iPhone 6 vs. iPhone 6 Plus).

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
That would mean the Surface, Surface 2, and the pro line didn't take much research to build either. That Windows X is already ready for production and they are just teasing us with the preview. Have you ever spec'd a desktop computer, bought all the parts then put them together? Any research involved in that and what personal costs would you affix to your time?

What's the difference in research of using 2gb or 4gb of ram, or using a SOC 800 or 810? Something like a fingerprint scanner would need more research, but they have to do it anyways.
The investment in production methods for a product is called "Development", but again, 2gb vs 4gb doesn't change that cost.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
15xx and 9xx are both nearly equal flagships. A 940 XL is implying it will be even better specced and pricier and more of a flagship than the 940. It's implying a Lumia 17xx series xD

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
15xx and 9xx are both nearly equal flagships. A 940 XL is implying it will be even better specced and pricier and more of a flagship than the 940. It's implying a Lumia 17xx series xD

I think it's the opposite.
1520 is a pretty big number compared to 930.
A 940 XL implies exactly that, an XL 940.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What's the difference in research of using 2gb or 4gb of ram, or using a SOC 800 or 810? Something like a fingerprint scanner would need more research, but they have to do it anyways.
The investment in production methods for a product is called "Development", but again, 2gb vs 4gb doesn't change that cost.

The investment in production methods for a product is called "Development"
Wow!

swedishdude

May 28, 2014
Visit site
If they're looking to be different....The SP3 was a tablet that could also be a laptop....maybe build a phablet that can also be a mini-laptop, ie a 1520 with a type cover?

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Key things that this flagship needs are:

Ditch Lumia name and numbering or relegate it to low end and call flagship something else or Surface
No carrier exclusives/multiband LTE
Snapdragon 815 or Atom equivalent
OIS with Zenon flash and high res camera that is fast. Don't care about 41mp or want the hump.
Water proof
wireless charging or solar charging
high mp front camera
1080 or higher screen with glance capability
sd card slot
minimum 3000mah battery

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member