Will Microsoft improve multitasking on Windows 10 for Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoseAriasArroyo

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, first of all, this is my first threat at the forum(yay).

But the question is: Do you think that Microsoft will improve multitasking on Windows 10 for Phones and in which way do you think they'll do it?

By improving a mean: No more resuming screen, no more closing apps on the background, like Spotify, to free up RAM.

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
It gets very annoyng when I have to stay staring to my podcast app until it downloads all the recent podcasts, otherwise it will stop downloading when I cicle to another app or to my homepage.
I do hope it will be adressed sometime.

Enviado via Note 4

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Although many people often view these types of things as "multitasking" issues, that's not always what they are. That leads to confusions, because those who understand software multitasking in detail will usually answer like Zulfiger did: "hell no, we don't want true/unrestricted multitasking". I agree.
For example, the "resuming" message is not a multitasking issue at all, but related to app loading, resuming and rehydration durations. All of these things can be improved without changing how multitasking works on WP.
I really hope they are improved. I suspect the biggest hope for improvement in this area is something called .NET native. Look it up if you're interested. Improving XAML loading efficiency would also help. App developers also need to shoulder some of that responsibility by improving their apps though.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It gets very annoyng when I have to stay staring to my podcast app until it downloads all the recent podcasts

What I'd like to see is a global download manager that lists all the files that are queued up for background downloading, and also mentions on behalf of which apps that is occurring, thereby giving users control over the download process.

BTW: WP can already download files in the background, even when the app isn't running, but the download queue per app is limited to five files.

For many apps this works perfectly well, but app developers often fail to use that capability. MS can't do much about that. In your situation that probably wouldn't work however, assuming your podcast app downloads more than five files. Still, it should be able to download at least five files without the app being in the foreground. If not, then its the developer of the app that screwed up, not MS.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
This is your first threat in the forum? How many times are you planning on threatening us?
Lol, in all seriousness, I don't want it to become like Android. There could be some small improvements, but a lot of it is on the developers.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, first of all, this is my first threat at the forum(yay).

But the question is: Do you think that Microsoft will improve multitasking on Windows 10 for Phones and in which way do you think they'll do it?

By improving a mean: No more resuming screen, no more closing apps on the background, like Spotify, to free up RAM.
Well that resuming screen seems like
It's going away with windows 10 but the apps closing in the background will still close to preserve battery life.

stenson625

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Stupid answers all over here just to sweet talk you to silence when the truth is all written in black and white! Heck! On a normal, do I need a Billion headed brained developer to achieve background download on my phone? No! Then why the flattery fuse of defensive backing of MS OS's gullibility?
I know one thing: when you keep giving people excuses for a long time on why they should remain stupid, their stupidity will produce a new way of reasoning out the absurd. Soon you will become old school, stupid one for that matter.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Stupid answers all over here just to sweet talk you to silence when the truth is all written in black and white! Heck! On a normal, do I need a Billion headed brained developer to achieve background download on my phone? No! Then why the flattery fuse of defensive backing of MS OS's gullibility?
I know one thing: when you keep giving people excuses for a long time on why they should remain stupid, their stupidity will produce a new way of reasoning out the absurd. Soon you will become old school, stupid one for that matter.
Heck, it's easy to act like everyone else is stupid when the truth is all written in black and white!

What people want out of their devices is an all-day charge. Modern mobile operating systems are changing to meet those wants. One way in which they are changing is in the app lifecycle. You can claim that I'm carrying water for Microsoft or you can accept that change is needed, that Apple led that change with iOS, that Microsoft has followed it with WP7 and RT, and that Google continues to lag in this one regard.

Developers who resist this change do so for their convenience rather than their users'. Users who resist this typically are more technical and have an expectation of the phone working like a desktop computer -- they are mistaken to make that assumption. My parents, who are not technical, have no expectation that something is "running" when they're not looking at it. We need to adapt to the idea of our phones as "appliance" rather than "computer."

More about the app lifecycle change at http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...supports-background-download.html#post2998101

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
You mean RAM. Suspended apps don't use battery power.
I think that he meant battery as in "although the app remains in memory, it is suspended so it is not using any CPU cycles. Thus it is not using power, consequently extending the time until the battery run out."

stenson625

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
@ManicottiK:
On white or black basis, it is note worthy that the new generation is growing more technical and expects their devices to grow with it. However, modernity redefined by MS'S WP OS and IOS is STUPIDITY. ACCORDING TO THEM: Be old and watch your smartphone behave like an experimental toy. Just be stupid with all the restrictions and brand it modernity!
Right now, to put on a WP's LED light and type in a Recharge card number from the phone view is practically impossible because, MS is modern enough. Why in the whole wide world, are they not told that a logistic machine like a smartphone is supposed to be reasonable? In this case, put on the LED light while I type numbers in the other phase. No, I am MS and I am stupidly modern. Heck!
At the long run, the elderly dads and mums will call their phones garbage sooner than now, when they must have gone technical!

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that response doesn't demonstrate much understanding of the trade-offs necessary in product design or empathy for others. I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree, or at least to disengage in this discussion.

stenson625

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Wow, that response doesn't demonstrate much understanding of the trade-offs necessary in product design or empathy for others. I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree, or at least to disengage in this discussion.
It is best that you do know what you have said. The tradeoffs shouldn't be between smartphones' basics and essentials. My empathy is necessary as that will help deepen the heights of all the involved parties stupidity in the name of modern design!

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
On Windows 10 9941 already have it.
I mean, I can open Internet Explorer and a stop watch (on a website), and go out to another app when I came, the IE still "alive" with the Stop watch....
Also, some apps stay in the background when you lock the phone!

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ the comparison between W10 IE and W10M doesn't tel us anything. One uses Win32's multitasking model, the other uses WinRT's multitasking model. Completely different.
Second, as ManicottiK alluded to, no *app* on WP, nor on W10M runs in the background. None. However, an app can request that the OS run specific features in the background. BackgroundFileTransfer, and BackgroundAudio are two examples. That allows the OS to fully suspend the app, but continue to execute a function on its behalf.

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
This, I understand. I had reset my 1520 post denim to correct some bugs and hopefully improve battery...old bugs resolved yet, new bugs evolved. Additionally, I cannot open battery saver to turn off any background tasks....oh, the headache.

More on point, I was downloading some maps, and heaven forbid if you check up on another app, all 3GB of data, in my particular case, will have to be rechecked and downloaded! Very inefficient.

I do look forward to some level of true multitasking, multiwindow for a phone with the display real estate that the 1520 offers would be great...

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I really hope they are improved. I suspect the biggest hope for improvement in this area is something called .NET native. Look it up if you're interested. Improving XAML loading efficiency would also help. App developers also need to shoulder some of that responsibility by improving their apps though.

Did Silverlight apps have XAML as the view language? Because they were instant in their loading. I haven't even looked into development on Silverlight (though I'm familiar with RT). But if they used XAML too, then it's likely not XAML that's causing the resume/load issue, m i rite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05