Windows 10 for phones, which should I get Windows Insider vs. Preview for Developers?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 for phones - Windows Insider vs. Preview for Developers

A few years ago I got the Lumia 710 and couldn't wait to get Windows Phone 7.8. Sadly, this phone never received that update from my phone carrier. To resolve this, I got the Lumia 810 which came with Windows Phone 8 but my problems would continue when this phone would not be receiving Windows Phone 8.1. Now I have the Lumia 925. This phone recently got 8.1 but I had finally given in a long time ago to getting the Preview for Developers to get 8.1 quicker.

Now with Windows 10 coming in the future I wanted to know if Windows 10 for phones would eventually go from the Windows Insider program to Preview for developers. I would rather not use the Insider program on the phone I use everyday due to it not being finished software and probably containing bugs. Hopefully it will be available through the developer preview in the future! Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks in advance!

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 for phones - Windows Insider vs. Preview for Developers

It shoukd work that way once the technical preview program is done and final OS is announced.
But official statements can only come after the unveiling of the finished W10 for phones probably at BUILD 2015.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

We really don't know at this point in the game if Insider will turn into Preview. Stay tuned.

That said; I gather you are on T-MoUS? It bodes well that 925 is the only T-Mo Windows Phone to get Denim, but yes you will be held hostage to the carrier's decision of whether they will pass an OTA for 10.

alexuio

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site

Does a country variant unlocked phone has more chance of receiving Windows 10 than a branded or carrier phone? For instance on a Lumia 920?

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

Does a country variant unlocked phone has more chance of receiving Windows 10 than a branded or carrier phone? For instance on a Lumia 920?

If u don't plan to jump on pfd or Insider then yes Country unlocked variants are more likely to receive it than carrier locked.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site

I feel your pain. I want a WP flagship but who knows when that will drop. Meanwhile if I go the HTC One M8 for Windows route I'm hooking up with another two year contract with Verizon who is NOTORIOUS for slow walking updates and settling for hardware that is already out of date a bit. Life is cruel.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

agd87

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm confident it will. I hope Microsoft haven't neglected preview for developers. I'm sure it will arrive when it has finished being tested and is in RTM.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs