Should Windows 10 and Windows 10 for phones support applock ?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well texting family about stuff, and surprising people, and those photos you'd rather not have actually see. (I mean like pictures of personal stuff like teddy bears, hypothetically)

So let me get this straight. You're afraid that someone might see pictures of your teddy bears (hypothetically.) Well, hypothetically speaking, I'd say you might want to seek counseling. ;) Are you sure we aren't talking about bears "wearing" teddies?

Bryon Burns

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
When I hand my phone to my friends, they don't look through my stuff. That's because it's rude to snoop through peoples stuff. I understand peoples desire for individual application locking, but I don't think stock processes should have that, as the OS already has that in the form of a lock screen. Leave it to third party apps to implement. OneDrive has this feature because its context in relation to function. You can store more than just photos on OneDrive, and it's crossed platform. So it's more a security issue, than a privacy one.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well tell me
After you unlock your phone if someone grabs it what will you do?
You are browsing and you find a funny video, you want to show it to your friend but don't want to give the phone to him as he will check out your pictures or messages after he finishes watching, what will you do then?

Well all i know is it will be optional as many don't use this feature as well as many want this feature

I guess the real question is: How poorly do you choose your friends that you're scared of what will happen if they hold your phone?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That's why I mentioned it is most likely parents. Parents WILL snoop.

Perhaps, but if parents want, they can also ground you or threaten to take your phone if you use that kind of stuff. Their house, their rules and all, even if you don't like it. While some parents are too paranoid to trust their kids, some kid also shouldn't be trusted to the point of not having adult supervision over social media access and the like.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That's why I mentioned it is most likely parents. Parents WILL snoop.

Perhaps, but if parents want, they can also ground you or threaten to take your phone if you use that kind of stuff. Their house, their rules and all, even if you don't like it. While some parents are too paranoid to trust their kids, some kid also shouldn't be trusted to the point of not having adult supervision over social media access and the like.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I guess the real question is: How poorly do you choose your friends that you're scared of what will happen if they hold your phone?

Its this kind of attitude that hurts WP, some may not use an app lock but it indeed a required and widely used feature, whats wrong in giving a choice. many are concerned for their privacy, your colleague may want to check out your phone but you dont want him to checkout whatsapp or photos hub. this is a practically valid situation may be few are immune to it or dont care abt it but the situation remains valid and has to be addressed via an applock

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Microsoft would do much here. Every app would have it's own sandboxed state which no app developer would like Microsoft to have control on. Plus Microsoft cannot test each and every app to test whether this functionally would work as expected or not. In fact app developers should start enabling this feature within their own apps since Microsoft already allows it.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
it apparently confirmed. there is a post on uservoice regarding this and has a good response with votes.
That doesn't necessary mean they confirmed that they will bring the feature...the OP wanted to know wether win 10 will bring app lock support! Even if they confirmed it, they did not specifically say that it would come with win 10!

I know its a very demanding feature with lots of votes but you have to understand that features often depend on OS limitations ! Now I am not saying app lock falls under the limitations but it would be quite a long term work in bringing such a reqquested feature, and of course it would be a matter of time!
If you look at the uservoice you cant surely understand call recording is also a much requested feature garnering lots of votes everyday! But why are they not being implemented in the build ? The thing is legal issues! Same way there are many issues which may be quite difficult to implement and the problems faced only developers will know! Anyways if the feature will be announced as an optional feature sure it would satisfy windows phone fans both for and against the feature..only time will tell.!

Ishmam Ishtiaque

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
i would really love a feature added on w10, like the private mode on my S5. protects photos, videos and even messages, that i don't want people to see. and the best part is it's built into the OS. so doesn't eat up battery life

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
i would really love a feature added on w10, like the private mode on my S5. protects photos, videos and even messages, that i don't want people to see. and the best part is it's built into the OS. so doesn't eat up battery life
Then you must look up for the feature on the uservoice page and support it with votes !

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand peoples reasoning for having trouble with people for wanting a lock app to protect their pics and whatever else they want, everyone takes pictures with their phones and sometimes they take private sexy pictures because that's FUN FOR THEM and nothing is wrong with that! but telling people what they should/shouldn't do with their phones is none of your business! yes your friends shouldn't be snooping in your phone but that's what friends sometime do to "bug" each other and doesn't make them a "bad friend" just snoops. if people want an app that protects those photos then why not? if people wanna take racy pics for posterity reasons then that's fine too... we all have a right to protect our privacy which is being taken away slowly but surely!! or more faster than we would like for some lol

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In my L520 it lags! My friends keep asking my phone to check out the OS and i want to give them but i dont want them to check my Whatsapp and Pictures. In apps corner and kids corner u cant get the full OS experience! Instead of these setting they could have added just one app lock setting
I can see why applock is important to you. However, if I were you I would also be concerned as to why I am not comfortable sharing my phone with friends/family :p

Same goes for me....don't need app lock , even if app lock arrives it has to run in background in real time which would consume a lot of battery juice...so happy without it...

Depending on Microsoft's implementation this could be true. However, it is trivial to implement a solution that would not drain battery, nor would need to run in the background :)

______

1. Microsoft already has quiet hours implemented
  2. Microsoft already has a lockscreen implemented
  3. Microsoft already has kids corner implemented

With these three points in mind, there is no reason why there could not be an "applock".

• Have a setting that lists apps to "lock".
  • Require a pin to open/resume the selected app(s)
  • If pin is incorrect, do not open app or keep the app suspended.
  • Hide new notifications when an app is locked

Should not be any noticeable performance impact!

Bryon Burns

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Considering AppLock itself and all others are third party, including Sammys version. I don't think it should be OS integrated. The service would hook and constantly poll app launches. This also goes against the sandbox approach the OS has taken, as malware could use these hooks to launch itself or to monitor user input. As I voiced earlier, this should be fine on an app by app basis, but leave it up to the developer to implement as it would only be a single call at startup to check if pin is enabled and then prompt for it, same goes for notifications. Android is too lax on security when it comes to ipc and app isolation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs