Should Windows 10 and Windows 10 for phones support applock ?

henocksandy

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Want and need are not the same thing. It's a bad solution that many want, like I said, because they don't know better. I'm not against more security options, I'm just against really bad security options like the one you think you want.

Im not telling to remove any feature to put this! What's there to lose if there is a feature like this? There wont be any problem if there is a feature like this because its just a lock which people wont notice who does not want to use it.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Im not telling to remove any feature to put this! What's there to lose if there is a feature like this? There wont be any problem if there is a feature like this because its just a lock which people wont notice who does not want to use it.

Nothing on the face of it, but who knows.. Will certainly be another feature to maintain though, but I do not completely agree with a5cent
I think it is better for OS to have this feature made globally rather than having each app have its own implementation of a pin code, e.g OneDrive.

Microsoft could have API for this, however, not every developer will support it. It is hard impossible to know what apps/personal data each individual person would want to lock/hide.

With this in mind, I do not think an applock is the worst idea. If anyone has a better one, do share :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What's there to lose if there is a feature like this?.

I already explained why. It's a poor solution. It pretends to be about security but is fake security at best. If MS wants to make themselves the laughingstock of the enterprise world, then sure.... why not. If MS wants people to think they are protecting their data while they aren't, and doesn't mind the tech press having a hey day with it once they catch on... sure... nothing to lose.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I already explained why. It's a poor solution. It pretends to be about security but is fake security at best. If MS wants to make themselves the laughingstock of the enterprise world, then sure.... why not. If MS wants people to think they are protecting their data while they aren't, and doesn't mind the tech press having a hey day with it once they catch on... sure... nothing to lose.

Hehe, does the lockscreen fall under the same concern, i.e fake security?
If not, could you please elaborate on your ideas a little further (than you already have)?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hehe, does the lockscreen fall under the same concern, i.e fake security?
Spontaneously I'd say no, but ultimately it depends on exactly what you're talking about. With these types of things the details matter.

If you're talking about a normal lock screen, which prevents users from accessing anything before they provide the correct PIN, then that's not fake security. It does exactly what you'd expect and it's not easily circumvented.

If you're also thinking about things like picture passwords, then we're potentially back in the realm of fake security. It depends...

henocksandy

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It pretends to be about security but is fake security at best. If MS wants to make themselves the laughingstock of the enterprise world, then sure.... why not.
Spontaneously I'd say no, but ultimately it depends on exactly what you're talking about. With these types of things the details matter.

If you're talking about a normal lock screen, which prevents users from accessing anything before they provide the correct PIN, then that's not fake security. It does exactly what you'd expect and it's not easily circumvented.

If you're also thinking about things like picture passwords, then we're potentially back in the realm of fake security. It depends...

I told you it's not a fake security, it's a personal security. Lock screen can do is work, applock can also do it together.
MS would not make a laughing stock! Android is leading because of these features given to them who needs it. Is android a laughing stock for this feature? No! Anyways who would laugh?? You?? Are other people jobless to laugh at MS giving people what they wanted?
I don't find this feature stupid!

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Useless Androidy feature. It's just another one of those features that people cry about, and when (if) MS implements it, it just gets forgoten and nobody uses it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I told you it's not a fake security, it's a personal security.
Yes, you've said that multiple times. It just doesn't mean anything.
You can call it whatever you want, that doesn't change the fact that it's terrible at restricting access to data, which is how most consumers misuse it.

henocksandy

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you've said that multiple times. It just doesn't mean anything.
You can call it whatever you want, that doesn't change the fact that it's terrible at restricting access to data, which is how most consumers misuse it.

You are like my mom telling MS not to put this feature so that they can check my phone if the successfully manage to unlock the lock screen :p

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ lol, no, I'm actually the exact opposite of that. I don't know why you don't understand, but I'll provide this as my last post on this topic:
If I wanted to help your mom check your phone, I'd be completely in support of this feature and on your side. I'd also ask MS to implement the app locker feature you want, and I'd also claim an app locker is secure enough...

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Some?? AppLock is one of the most wanted feature in User Voice page. Its not a big security, but its a small personal security. If MS does not add this feature, many will not think about staying on WP even if they want to.
And as posted on top, this is mainly used for teenagers
This feature can be used to pull android users to WP if MS build it in the OS

Hold up hold up hold up I have a problem with a statement that doesn't fit well with me .... Since when do teens need an app locker ? I was in high school 2 years ago ( 20btw ) and not one said ahhh if wp had an app locker I will get it over an iOS. I don't know where you are from but from where I am ( the U.S. Mainly California ) most teens care about other things on their phone the LAST thing teens here think about is an app locker. Heck even I don't want such a silly option that is not even worth calling security.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Some?? AppLock is one of the most wanted feature in User Voice page. Its not a big security, but its a small personal security. If MS does not add this feature, many will not think about staying on WP even if they want to.
And as posted on top, this is mainly used for teenagers
This feature can be used to pull android users to WP if MS build it in the OS

A feature that is kinda useless when you can download an app that can lock your pictures. I say leave it to dev to put that kind of lock .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
An app locker that works would be a welcome addition, though feel that Apps/Kids corner does this well enough... but I for one, don't have stuff worth hiding from people (My life is an open book) & being a lazy person don't even use the pin lock unless am going to any crowded places, cause I find it too tedious to type in the pin every single time.
Yeah, I'm the same way about the pin. I'm only in public places about once or twice a week. At home mostly.

All of their social interactivity is done in front of a slab of glass.
Need to feel for the new generation haha

I wonder how if the 635 would sell like hotcakes if there were an "applock".... Oh wait, no selfie cam :pPP
Yeah... I laughed. :D

The main point is many of them need this feature, if MS needs those people to buy WP then they have to give this feature.
"Features" that propose to provide security that can be quickly hacked by any parent isn't security. NOT needed.
Perhaps you should expend your energy convincing Microsoft, since it isn't happening here, and you currently aren't talking to Microsoft. Not helping, sorry.
You are calling a feature downloaded by millions of people useless 😅
That's pretty much what was said, yep. Useless when the security won't hold against an average parent. Yeah, I can take an app-locked phone and have access to everything you thought you were hiding VERY quickly. Yeah, that's useless.

What the real problem here is this: teens, who are supposed to be tech savvy, are just blindly believing whatever a developer tells them IF it's what they want to hear.

henocksandy

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
not one said ahhh if wp had an app locker I will get it over an iOS.
When did i say that they will come to WP?? I said the people who are already using might leave.
Besides, its one of the most wanted feature. MS should have to give what people want to keep all WP users satisfied

henocksandy

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
A feature that is kinda useless when you can download an app that can lock your pictures. I say leave it to dev to put that kind of lock .

I prefer MS to put this in the OS as it can be faster and more accessible and can be secure compared to them releasing an API for this and asking developers to make an app like this

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A few guidelines here that don't involve having an app locker layer in the OS

1) Trust the people you give your phone to
2) Don't put stuff on your phone that you wouldn't want your mother to see
3) Use apps that have locks/encryption built into them
4) Use two phones.

I use methods 1 and 2.

henocksandy

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
A few guidelines here that don't involve having an app locker layer in the OS

1) Trust the people you give your phone to
2) Don't put stuff on your phone that you wouldn't want your mother to see
3) Use apps that have locks/encryption built into them
4) Use two phones.

I use methods 1 and 2.

Or just an AppLock 😉

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, let's put this in perspective.

Microsoft looks at the uservoice page for suggestions and to see what issues are considered important by users (items with more votes get more attention, items with less votes drop off the bottom).

Looking through the items, the top voted suggestion for an App Locker has 616 votes. Based on this, there isn't a great demand for this feature at all and Microsoft certainly won't implement a feature (or API) based on the wishes of less than 1,000 users.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
MS should have to give what people want to keep all WP users satisfied

THAT is the main problem with younger people today. A sense that they are entitled to everything they want. They keep whining and begging and claiming it is owed to them trying to make someone give in.

There were over 38 million Windows Phones sold world-wide in 2014. There are 60,000 people testing Windows 10 for phones. 616 votes on UserVoice certainly does not mean a large number of people want this.

As evidenced by the chatter in this thread compared to others, people would much rather have snapchat than app lock.

I think pretty much everything that can be said about this subject has already been said in this thread (hint to a kind moderator?). This is something that should be dealt with on UserVoice at this point. My 2 cents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte