Could it be possible that if windows phone's share dips any further, microsoft gives up?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
There is this aire of doom and gloom as it relates to the future of Microsoft continuing in the phone business kinda everywhere nowadays. The standard of commitment is matching the product line with similar products in the industry. At least that is the appearance based on bloggery pro and con with Windows Phone. For whatever reason based solely on almost no official information out of Redmond it does appear that Microsoft has settled the question on going forward with its handset business. Again, this is based on no official information other than this abject silence from them when it comes to Windows phone.

This site has even moved on from Windows Phone Central to be simply Windows Central with more emphasis on gaming platforms, operating systems than Windows Phone. Even Daniel Rubino is MIA of late. I've seen a story or two from him but the energy is less apparent than it once was.

Now when I heard the new CEO announce MS was going dalls beep into mobile, I assumed like many he was talking about Windows Phone. Then a series of later announcements told a slightly different story, up to and including Cortana for all platforms and not just Cortana on android, they called it an enhanced version of Cortana, code named Einstein. It supposed to do MORE on android than it can do on its own platform.

Reminding us one again, that Microsoft, like Blackberry, rested on its own past successes for probably too long. It lost its hunger to command and control what it has and it was theirs to lose. When the tech world began to miniaturize in a big way, MS allowed it to flourish without participating. When it did, it found some old design, dusted that off and delivered MIcrosoft Kin. Which did nothing but embolden developers on other platforms to outright ignore us.

I am the first to admit I understand how fickle customers are and if Microsoft decided to try once more and deliver the take no prisoners, flagships of flagships this fall, the game could change just like what happened with the New England Patriots vs the Seattle Seahawks. But if they don't deliver anything more than another upgraded Kin, we will all have our answers.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Again, this is based on no official information other than this abject silence from them when it comes to Windows phone.

Remember the movie "Crimson Tide" when a sub crew lost its collective mind due to a broken, half-finished message? I'm with Commander Hunter on this one, let's get the official word before nuking the world.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Remember the movie "Crimson Tide" when a sub crew lost its collective mind due to a broken, half-finished message? I'm with Commander Hunter on this one, let's get the official word before nuking the world.
Great analogy man. On point and point taken. lol.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
they wont and they can't give up smartphones are the keys to enter into the ecosystem. they might have lost this generation if they want to survive in the future they need to invest a lot on a new generation.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This site has even moved on from Windows Phone Central to be simply Windows Central with more emphasis on gaming platforms, operating systems than Windows Phone.

Well 2 things. First, change is inevitable. I remember one of the sister sites once known as Treo Central became webOS Nation. That's normal since Treos gave way to the Pre line and Palm OS went the way of the Dodo. Second, because Windows is being "unified" like the post-war Germanys, it's proper that "Windows Central" should be the new name. At least we keep up with the times, WM Powerusers still harks back to the days of resistive screens and stylii. God, I miss that Outlook Mobile.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
To answer your question, yes, it is very possible for Microsoft to abandon WP. If things continue to go south, of course. I hope Microsoft does not give up on WP, though.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
It is possible. The question is, will it benefit Microsoft in the long run? I don't think so.

And, that is what I'm betting on. The new Microsoft cannot afford another 180? turn in terms of vision.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Threads and discussions like this are a scathing indictment on the general public's sheep mentality to blindly believe/follow media propaganda. Since media drives the trends, it has intertwined every facet of society into pop culture. Op-eds in a popular website or magazine are looked at as gospel. The masses eat it up. Individuality is dead. That's why the terms poser, follower, and ****** were born. The only thing is, most people are in denial about being one. Knock off the emotional reactions to quotes from websites by some ****** who is getting paid by one company to bash another. Step back, take a look at the entire picture, and you'll open your eyes to what is really going on. Other people have been making decisions for you forever...and not just when it pertains to what mobile device you use.

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I would suspect so. I think odds are greater than 50/50 that by 2017, MS will no longer be in the phone business. Windows 10 is, to put it mildly, unimpressive. I see no evidence that it will turn anything around.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Whether they continue or not, we obviously don't know. But here's something to consider: in the past year Microsoft's app push on ios and android has done more to grow adoption of their services than WP has done in over 4 years. With that kind of effect you have to wonder, if they can put all their services and apps in front of a billion + potential customers do they really need WP?

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it matters if WP is successful or not. Their real goal is services and if they can get it on the other camps, that is good stuff. WP is there for those that want it. With 10, they're going to have to get it right with Surface and 2 in 1's and when they do, WP will be right there if anyone wants it. If not, they got you on the other platforms too.

As long as Android's paying the royalties, I don't see them writing off WP. It wouldn't make sense since it's all one core now. Plus they've invested too much into Nokia to just give up so early after.

I'm not worried much about it at all. I've been waiting 3 yrs. for MS to get here and it's been worth the wait. I can wait a bit more. There is absolutely nothing the other camps are doing that can compare to the unified versatility my Surface Pro 3/desktop/phone and soon XB1 can do. Surface is gaining ground and is already a billion dollar a year business. It's only going to go up from there and WP will be along for the ride!

What I am worried about is with the other two now at the peak of their existence with nothing to look forward to, no innovation. I can totally see their shares go down from here once 10 is unleashed onto the world.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I believe the causes of low market share are more complicated than what is mentioned by the tech media.

The low-end Windows Phones are actually selling at decent rates. However, most users in the US and in the EU prefer high-end devices. The carrier exclusivity and limited availability of high-end devices definitely have an effect on the low uptake of Windows Phones in those markets.

That's a myth. Windows Phone doesn't have a decent market share in low-end phones.
The majority of the phones sold worldwide are low-end.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
The argument that the lack of WP apps is no big deal is wrong. Its everything. Ask any kid or college aged person what phone they want. They drive the sales...not business professionals. Developers will always develop last for WP last if at all. A new flagship won't change anything. Its all about the apps/games.

The app gap is important for some users, but not for all. I think a big part of the users, lets say 40%, would be satisfied with the apps in Windows Phone.

The biggest problems are the perception of the public, the brand and the product itself. Android is the natural extension of Windows in mobile. Don't get me wrong, I love Windows Phone, but objectively I think Microsoft made a big mistake with Windows Phone and Windows 8.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't think anybody has anything to worry about.

Windows PC's are solid and nobody yet has the ability to challenge them in that market.

A few days back I posted an article relating to predictions that Windows Tablets are scheduled to challenge and perhaps even take over Apple's position.

And all today I have been seeing articles relating to Apple trying to bribe their competition into buying their iPhone.

Is Apple?s new Android and Windows Phone trade-in program a sign of desperation? - WMPoweruser

Now I know its a bit odd to say the richest company in the world is desperate, but bear with me for a minute.

Apple has just come off its biggest quarter ever, with the iPhone 6 phablets driving record iPhone sales.

However looking over the last 3 months ending January 2015 Apple actually lost installed base market share in the US.

It appears despite massive sales, Android and Windows Phone was much more effective at grabbing new users, while Apple was merely upgrading existing iPhone users who have long been suffering from big screen envy.

Looking worldwide, at statcounter data (which also measures installed base) that the iOS installed base has not been boosted by their massive holiday sales.

Existing iPhone users, while a few hundred million in number, is still quite a small pool certainly compared to the more than billion Android users, and it is clear that for Apple to sustain growth it will have to start selling to present Android owners.

Hence the Android and Windows Phone trade-in offer, which would offer up to $175 to those owners to buy an iPhone, suggests that Apple is expecting to feel the pinch in the near future.

Maybe the Apple is rotten at the core after all?

Randy-MrLahey.jpg

Mr. Lahey - "Do you smell that Randy? The Winds of Sh*t are Coming."

Apple knows Windows 10 is getting a lot of attention.... A lot more attention and talk than their iPhone 6.

Their new macbook and apple watch got people talking for about 24-48 hours about $10,000+ 1" watches and a laptop that only has one port.

Not the kind of talk you're looking to attract to be honest.

IPhone is starting to hit the stagnant position and they know it.... The only other competition to challenge their spot right now is Windows 10 and MS has a number of tricks coming with W10 to peak peoples interest.

Focusing on developing markets

Pumping out a lot of low end phones

Making Windows 10 Universal to peak the interest of developers

Adding more features people have been asking for

Cortana

Office

The list goes on.

What has Apple done?

They made a thin phone with a bigger screen, sub par specs that barely compete with mid range Lumias and the ability to fold it and tuck away in your pocket..... And sold for a premium.

*clap clap*

Microsoft has been While-E Coyote chasing after the Roadrunner for the last couple of years, trying this and that to catch up but having plans blow up in their face.

But this time Microsoft can smell blood and they have a solid plan.... And within the next couple of years, they'll have their bird cooked and ready to be eaten.

And it'll be about time too.... I always hated that Roadrunner. Poor coyote is always hungry and never gets to eat.... Constantly abused and beaten/blown up.

Friggin sadistic bird.

What we're we talking about?

Last edited:

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Regarding apps, I've seen or heard many ads on TV/radio here for certain companies that actually have Windows Phone apps only mention "Apple App Store" or "Google Play Store" in their ads. If one did not know any better, he/she would think that particular company did not have a Windows Phone app.

That reminds me. That just a couple of minutes ago I was checking an email from e-bay. It was only showing that it has an app for android and iOS. Even though, they have an OFFICIAL app for Windows Phone. They don't mention that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss